Menu

S/O of "Country First" thread

I'm becoming increasingly bothered with the media taking gossip and feeding it as fact. I'm sure Astrid felt like she had credible info, but the truth is that over and over again I see supposed "facts" posted on this board that just aren't true! This goes for both political leanings. I'm afraid that we have become a country that is addicted to gossip.

I'm not sure if I have a point here, other than I hope before any of us take a "report" as fact, we try to verify it to the best of our abilities. Sorry to single you out Astrid, many of us are guilty here. I hope you don't feel like this is directed AT you, it really isn't. I've seen several threads in the last few days that I really questioned the accuracy of what was being posted. I really blame the media as much as anything.

Wow. This was the fastest spinoff thread EVER. :D

It has yet to be proven one way or the other whether or not Palin had involvement with this group to a degree that many would find unacceptable. So I don't know what the "facts" in this one are yet. Compelling on both sides at this point.

But you are right, the media is almost gossip tabloid these days. You have to dig to find good sources. Dig and dig.

I'm becoming increasingly bothered with the media taking gossip and feeding it as fact. I'm sure Astrid felt like she had credible info, but the truth is that over and over again I see supposed "facts" posted on this board that just aren't true! This goes for both political leanings. I'm afraid that we have become a country that is addicted to gossip.

I'm not sure if I have a point here, other than I hope before any of us take a "report" as fact, we try to verify it to the best of our abilities. Sorry to single you out Astrid, many of us are guilty here. I hope you don't feel like this is directed AT you, it really isn't. I've seen several threads in the last few days that I really questioned the accuracy of what was being posted. I really blame the media as much as anything.

As I said, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. However, the continual barrage of issues that continue to crop up, at about the rate of one per day, about this woman and her family is staggering. And IMHO, the sheer number of questions about this woman's backgroun and qualifications IS of a concern to all of us--- she's running for the second highest office in our nation, and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, could find herself in the Oval Office.

As you said, there has been much reported that has turned out not to be factual. However, in these cases, just the innuendo is concerning. If this woman were vetted as the Republicans claim she was, and a reasonable amount of time spent investigating her background and qualifications, this would all be water under the bridge. But the fact is, it's been four and a half days since the announcement of her candidacy. If THIS many questions remain, was this really a well-though-out decision?

I don't know. I don't pretend to know. But I've sat here and watched blatant untruths be spun about Obama (he's a Muslim, he's a terrorist, etc.) and more people have jumped on that bandwagon than I can count. Now many of those same folks who spoke ill of Michelle Obama feel it's just fine if their VP pick (or at the very least her dh) wanted her state to secede from the union. I find it very interesting that nothing seems to cast doubt here on Sarah Palin's fitness for office.

So yes, I agree. But it's interesting, as well, that none of the Obama myths prompted this reaction. Just my observation.

You can call me out any time; I taught middle school. I've got a thick skin.

Have a great night!

astrid

As I said, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. However, the continual barrage of issues that continue to crop up, at about the rate of one per day, about this woman and her family is staggering. And IMHO, the sheer number of questions about this woman's backgroun and qualifications IS of a concern to all of us--- she's running for the second highest office in our nation, and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, could find herself in the Oval Office.

Astrid, I don't really find it staggering. The announcement was on Saturday. Before that a huge portion of the U.S. population had never heard her name, and now she's up for VP. So everything is being trotted out all at once. On the other hand, we've been privy to what Biden has been up to in real time for years. If we heard every one of his questionable moments all at once, I'm sure we'd all be scratching our heads about Obama's choice.

I don't really have a horse in this race (Ron Paul, don't you know), so I'm not trying to say anyone should support Mc/Pal vs Ob/Bid, just saying all this excitement is to be expected. Which may very well be why she was thoroughly vetted (if she was) and McCain picked her anyway - no publicity is bad publicity, right?

I agree. I cannot believe people are posting or giving credit to rumors.

Just to be clear, I'm totally with you on that. McCain has lost my vote over this choice. It does matter, for sure.

As you said, there has been much reported that has turned out not to be factual. However, in these cases, just the innuendo is concerning. If this woman were vetted as the Republicans claim she was, and a reasonable amount of time spent investigating her background and qualifications, this would all be water under the bridge. But the fact is, it's been four and a half days since the announcement of her candidacy. If THIS many questions remain, was this really a well-though-out decision?

I agree that there are plenty of things to question and investigate with Palin.

I don't know. I don't pretend to know. But I've sat here and watched blatant untruths be spun about Obama (he's a Muslim, he's a terrorist, etc.) and more people have jumped on that bandwagon than I can count. Now many of those same folks who spoke ill of Michelle Obama feel it's just fine if their VP pick (or at the very least her dh) wanted her state to secede from the union. I find it very interesting that nothing seems to cast doubt here on Sarah Palin's fitness for office.

There was a pretty lengthy thread about people's doubts about her fitness for office. I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Anyhow, that bolded statement is the one I want to challenge. I think we need to be careful to post fact, if we are to have productive discussions about anything politics on this board. Based on the many links provided in your thread, I was compelled to post my thoughts.

So yes, I agree. But it's interesting, as well, that none of the Obama myths prompted this reaction. Just my observation.

]My OP is based on the Obama myths too, there is just a WHOLE lot of misinformation going around. ITA

That's a great line. I don't doubt you have thick skin, lol. Thanks for your feedback, I really love being able to have these types of discussions on this board.

Have a great night!

astrid

It has yet to be proven one way or the other whether or not Palin had involvement with this group to a degree that many would find unacceptable. So I don't know what the "facts" in this one are yet. Compelling on both sides at this point.

False accusations are thrown out there just to see what sticks, and then SP (or whoever) is left having to PROVE that they're not true.

I can't tell you how many horrible lies I've heard today about this woman and her family - it's disgusting. I can't imagine how I'd feel if some "credible journalist" looked at my little six month old baby and then reported to the nation that there's some lingering doubts that the baby is mine. Candidate or not, there's just no excuse.

Wow - I was barely an adult during the Clarence Thomas hearings...I never thought I'd live to see anything so dispicable again, but alas I was wrong.

I agree. I cannot believe people are posting or giving credit to rumors.

REally? Don't you remember all those Barack HUSSEIN Obama posts? And the posts about him being a Muslim? And the posts about him wanting to abolish homeschooling? And about him taking the oath of office for senate on the Koran? Because I couldn't believe THOSE posts.

This exercise has really made things crystal clear to me.

astrid

REally? Don't you remember all those Barack HUSSEIN Obama posts? And the posts about him being a Muslim? And the posts about him wanting to abolish homeschooling? And about him taking the oath of office for senate on the Koran? Because I couldn't believe THOSE posts.

astrid

OH OH OH, don't forget that he wanted to kill babies too! There were at least 2 threads on that one.

astrid

Of course those Obama posts were moronic. Any fool could see that. Why would you want to stoop to the very same tricks as that poster? Why? I wouldn't. It trashes your credibility. It does. You are the one posting rumors. Rumor mongers are not respected.

And about him taking the oath of office for senate on the Koran? Because I couldn't believe THOSE posts.

Oh my goodness. I remember that "shocking fact" was in a newsletter from the Baptist organization my mother's church belongs to that was posted on their bulletin board! My ds attended with me that Sunday, and he "corrected" the newsletter with a pen from his pocket, complete with commentary. LOL

I didn't associate that moment with Sen. Obama. He wasn't on my radar back then. I only knew I had to make ds scratch out his "editorial" because it would have just humiliated my parents. Bless his heart, he meant well.

How strange you should mention this and that I didn't make that connection before!

Of course those Obama posts were moronic. Any fool could see that. Why would you want to stoop to the very same tricks as that poster? Why? I wouldn't. It trashes your credibility. It does. You are the one posting rumors. Rumor mongers are not respected.

Wow! Thanks for not mincing words! :001_smile: So....

I'm a fool.

I have no credibility.

I"m not respected, and I guess not worthy of any.

I've repeatedly, on both this thread and the original one, said that I am really, truly, honestly, sincerely interested in learning how those who disagreed with Michelle Obama's comments felt about this new issue. And yes, it has been confirmed now that Palin's husband, at least, was a longtime member of the group, and she did, in fact, address their convention and implore them to "keep up the good work!" That's "involvement," plain and simple. IMHO, unseemly for a potential VP, and something that I cannot believe the McCain campaign would be thrilled with, given their slogan, "Country First."

I guess I"m at a loss for words, TrueBlue, about your comments directed at my personal integrity. So I"ll take the Biden route: When Rove recently called him a "big blowhard doofus," Biden replied with a smile and "He's a great American."

So thanks for your comments. Have a great night.

astrid

Wow! Thanks for not mincing words! :001_smile: So....

I'm a fool.

I have no credibility.

I"m not respected, and I guess not worthy of any.

I've repeatedly, on both this thread and the original one, said that I am really, truly, honestly, sincerely interested in learning how those who disagreed with Michelle Obama's comments felt about this new issue. And yes, it has been confirmed now that Palin's husband, at least, was a longtime member of the group, and she did, in fact, address their convention and implore them to "keep up the good work!" That's "involvement," plain and simple. IMHO, unseemly for a potential VP, and something that I cannot believe the McCain campaign would be thrilled with, given their slogan, "Country First."

I guess I"m at a loss for words, TrueBlue, about your comments directed at my personal integrity. So I"ll take the Biden route: When Rove recently called him a "big blowhard doofus," Biden replied with a smile and "He's a great American."

So thanks for your comments. Have a great night.

astrid

You need to reread my post. I never called you a fool. I said that anyone that believed those Obama rumors was a fool. You didn't believe them. But you are spreading rumors and spin. People that do that are not to be believed. If you want to personalize this and make it about you there is nothing I can do. Please be objective and and not reactive.

You need to reread my post. I never called you a fool. I said that anyone that believed those Obama rumors was a fool. You didn't believe them. But you are spreading rumors and spin. People that do that are not to be believed. If you want to personalize this and make it about you there is nothing I can do. Please be objective and and not reactive.

Hard not to take, "not worthy of any respect" and "not to be believed" (read: liar) combined with the pronoun "you" personally, but whatever. I must be oversensitive.

Astrid

Have a great night!

astrid

If I could rep you...I would. FWIW, I agree completely.

False accusations are thrown out there just to see what sticks, and then SP (or whoever) is left having to PROVE that they're not true.

I can't tell you how many horrible lies I've heard today about this woman and her family - it's disgusting. I can't imagine how I'd feel if some "credible journalist" looked at my little six month old baby and then reported to the nation that there's some lingering doubts that the baby is mine. Candidate or not, there's just no excuse.

Wow - I was barely an adult during the Clarence Thomas hearings...I never thought I'd live to see anything so dispicable again, but alas I was wrong.

How do you know they are lies? We don't know much of anything about her yet....

Ok. You said it again: "Now many of those same folks who spoke ill of Michelle Obama feel it's just fine if their VP pick (or at the very least her dh) wanted her state to secede from the union."

I thought I would go look up what the AIP stood for: from the horse's mouth. Their own website. http://www.akip.org/

1) It looks like a libertarian party, not a secessionist party per se. I didn't see anything supporting secession, just objecting that their right to have decided themselves should have been respected. There are many, many issues this party supports that have nothing to do with secession.

2) One of those issues is: They support homeschooling and parental rights! :001_smile:

Now, I haven't seen anything that makes me think it's actually established that she supported secession and yes, that would be an issue if it were true. I haven't seen anyone say that it wouldn't. I think most people are/were objecting to the acceptance of what appears to be unestablished as if it were established fact.

And if her hubby was a member of the party--well Mary Matelin and James Carville live together in holy matrimony and it doesn't seem to have mellowed either of them in their political opinions! :001_smile:

So:

I understand where Michelle Obama was coming from when she made the comment on the campaign trail. (Not meaning that has been my experience, but I understand the context from which she was making the point.)

As for SP, it would be an issue for me if Sarah Palin supported secession of Alaska, but even if she supported that party, I don't see the automatic jump from support of that party platform to support of secession.

Thanks for the link.

"Your party plays an important role in our state... I've always said that competition was so good... and that applies to political parties as well...."

No support declared for secession there, but rather tolerance for differences of opinion.

I don't think it is just now, I think this has been happening for years. How John Kerry turned from a hero to someone who betrayed crew members on that boat I have never understood--and it was such blatant lies, and spread so quickly! And the way the news come out now--teasers, and the headlines they run! The news were a big reason I decided to do away with tv--trying to watch anything, and having my daughter near me to hear "Tune in tonight for this murder, this betrayal, this politician doing this or that" was too much! Not letting her watch the news only helped so much with that on all the time!

Also, I think a lot of the political threads are in response to things already posted--I started one thread only, and that was to refute one that was completely untrue. I am just sorry any of them are here--or anything like them exist, anywhere. If only politics could be clean. I can't even imagine it.

How do you know they are lies? We don't know much of anything about her yet....

I thought we were a population of "innocent until proven guilty.":confused:

Why in the world would we throw out nothing but rumors slanedering someone's name and then respond, "How do you know they're lies?":confused: That's pretty unbelievable!

I really don't get it...and, I am not McCain/Palin supporter.