Menu

What Art curriculums do you like?

My daughter has really enjoyed Atelier.  She has completed levels 1-5 and is working on level 6 this year.  I like that every level provides a wide variety of projects for them to complete.  They get to use many different mediums.  I also like the clear directions provided.

Suzanne

Favorite DVD art is Atelier here. DD also likes Mark Kistler's online lessons, but that's drawing only. Atelier includes art history with the lesson. I liked that all I had to do was set up the supplies. 

I keep looking at the composer study from Home School in the Woods, and trying to figure out how we could fit that in to our school day without staying up until midnight.

We used Atelier for a couple of years and then switched to Home Art Studio this year. DD and I both are enjoying it...more so than Atelier. And for $20 and change, it's a great deal. It's not quite as structured as Atelier (more room for creativity) and we find the lessons less stressful and more fun.

We also use Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios (plus, supplemental picture books, etc.) for artist study.

• Like 1

Yes, count me in for Artistic Pursuits. It's not DVD, but that definitely works in our favor as we have no TV in the room where we are set up to do art. It teaches art appreciation and history at the same time it teaches art, the projects cover a wide range of techniques but leave plenty of room for creativity. I particularly love how it teaches DS how to use all the various supplies without dictating what he does with them. I have the first four books and have yet to find a single project that shows a sample to be duplicated. I've seen that a lot in other art programs, although I can't speak specifically to Atelier or Home Art Studio.

• Like 2

For art, I just use tutorials on YouTube.  Just this morning my DD did a beautiful wolf drawing using this tutorial:

I was amazed at how beautiful her drawing came out.  There are so many wonderful art tutorials by different instructors on YouTube that I just can't see buying a specific curriculum when I can access good material from various perspectives for free.  Basically, I'll never exhaust the resources YouTube can provide.

• Like 3

I like artistic pursuits as well. My son, a year ago didn't want to color with crayons or draw, but said he wanted to design cars as an adult. So I got this program to get him thinking more creatively. He LOVES this program. He is now drawing on his own and I have been enjoying seeing the world through his eyes.

I can't imagine a better program for my son, and we plan to continue with it.

We used Atelier for a couple of years and then switched to Home Art Studio this year. DD and I both are enjoying it...more so than Atelier. And for $20 and change, it's a great deal. It's not quite as structured as Atelier (more room for creativity) and we find the lessons less stressful and more fun.

We also use Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios (plus, supplemental picture books, etc.) for artist study.

This looks like just the combination we would love!  I have a couple of questions.  First, for all who have used it, The Home Art Studio, if we started with K, would it be too babyish for a 6th grader?  I will have k, 4th, and 6th.  I saw others say it works for multiple grades, but that is a pretty wide age range. Other than art appreciation, we haven't done much art.

Also, on the Simply Charlotte Mason, that is the type of picture study I'm wanting to do, with it printed out and not having to hop all over the internet to make it happen.  I saw that they have 15 of them on the website, from what I could tell.  How many weeks does it take to go through?

Also, I have God and the History of Art.  I'm sort of on the fence about how I feel about it.  On the one hand, I own it, and I hate to waste it.  On the other hand, I just can't get into it.  Has anyone used this, all the way through, and felt it was a good match for them?  I think I remember us all being bored but he informational sections.  

I have also been looking at Harmony Art Mom.  I like that music and art are combined and that it uses a couple of things we already own.  Has anyone used and liked it? 

We started with the 3rd grade DVD of Home Art Studio and love it! I wish we had started with the K level. I think she has a few sample lessons on her site to try out the program.

I am also interested in hearing about Harmony Art Mom's art and music program for use later. It looks good.

No. I printed coupons and watched ads for Hobby Lobby, Michael's and JoAnn's. The hardest things to come by were the paint brushes. I ended up buying those individually at Hobby Lobby. The tube watercolors were a bit challenging too, but I wish we would have just used the prepackaged kind in trays. That's what we'll use for future projects. I think we bought most things at Hobby Lobby.

Do you all buy the supplies for Home Art Studio's site directly as well? This looks great.

• Like 2

Another vote for Home Art Studio.  My dd also likes drawing tutorials on youtube.  Timberdoodle has a really good drawing dvd...but it's pricey.

Not a dvd, but I bought a zentangle book and dd is having enough fun with that, that we've introduced it to another family in town we do art with. Her kids are really getting into it too.

Which one did you get?  My daughter wants one...she learned how to do her own from youtube...and they've turned out really cool.  But, I know she'd like a book too.  

Do you all buy the supplies for Home Art Studio's site directly as well? This looks great.

I bought supplies separately.  We didn't end up getting the exact same tempra paint.  I found a set of 6 bottles of Elmer's paint and we have been using that.  I found paper at the dollar store, etc.  I did splurge and buy a really good set of brushes at Michael's. 

• Like 2

I bought my supplies on Amazon because it was cheaper.

As far as using K with a 6th grader.... I would give it a go. Maybe buy the 3 pack from homeschoolbuyerscoop.com (https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/home-art-studio/?c=1) so if the 6th grader wants to move faster they can.

We just did the kindergarten sample lesson and they (7 & 4) loved it! We even got the toddlers involved to help rip paper for the leaves on the flowers. This looks like a fantastic deal, definitely getting the K-3 videos. Thanks for sharing, and the OP for asking. I hadn't really thought seriously about art yet and this video approach is perfect so I can sit back and let someone else teach for a change while I manage the littles.

Which one did you get?  My daughter wants one...she learned how to do her own from youtube...and they've turned out really cool.  But, I know she'd like a book too.  

http://www.amazon.com/One-Zentangle-Day-Relaxation-Inspiration/dp/1592538118/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426802556&sr=8-1&keywords=zentangle+a+day

I've never seen any others, so can't compare, but we've been having fun with it. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you!

We really like the looks of HAS! I see it at HSBC right now, but is it always there? I'd like to buy it later this summer.

They haven't always been there....but they have been there for quite awhile.  I would think they will still be there by this summer.  I would contact HSBC and see if they have any idea how long they might be offering HAS.  

We've been loving Meet the Masters. It introduces a different artist in each lesson, then walks students through imitating the artist's techniques and creating a full independent project. 

I love that it tells a story of the artist's life while the student is looking at samples of the artist's work (it occasionally uses background music as well). It's a nice combination of art appreciation without getting too dry, and art technique without being overly structured. DD's really enjoyed it and so have I. We do it about once a week as each lesson ends up taking us about an hour and a half if we don't rush it. 

http://mtmhomeschool4art.com/page/detail/about-us/