Menu

One-year US history for 8th grade?

I'm wanting to do a 1-year overview of US History our 8th grade year before heading into high school.  DD is a slow reader, so I don't want her to have to read a ton every day.  Any suggestions?  Secular please.

You might take a look at PAC's American History course. They promote it as a 2 year course but I think it could comfortably be done in one year. There are 12 booklets and each one is for about 3 weeks not including quizzes and tests so that's about 36 weeks.  Each day has about 3-4 pages of reading followed by a worksheet on the material. It's well written and has a strong social/cultural history bent.  They also have audio files to assist those who struggle with reading. Samples 1st course , 2nd course. You can see more samples at cbd.com

• Like 1

I'm tentatively planning to use American Odyssey with my 8th grade dd next year. I'll be listening in for other suggestions here though.

The American Odyssey is excellent--but it is solid high school level.  Given that the OP's daughter is a slow reader, I'm not sure if it would fit the bill or not.

• Like 1

The American Odyssey is excellent--but it is solid high school level.  Given that the OP's daughter is a slow reader, I'm not sure if it would fit the bill or not.

I agree. I have the K12 books: Human Odyssey 1, 2, and 3; American Odyssey; and World History: Our Human Story. There is a noticable difference between the first two Human Odyssey books and the high school books. The high school level books have smaller print and narrower margins, so the text is a lot more dense. I would definitely save it for high school unless your kid is dying for that level of depth and plans to do duel enrollment in high school.

We used K12's American Odyssey in eighth grade. It is accessible for the right student before ninth grade (which probably isn't the OP's dd). I think if a student had read through books of increasing complexity in earlier grades, like the three Human Odyssey volumes, American Odyssey would be a natural progression.

My dd will not be doing DE for high school history (we have to pay for DE, so I prefer that she studies higher math and languages at the university instead of a community college). She most likely will just take the SAT subject test in US History to "prove" her mastery of the subject (after a quick run through of AO) or she may want to take AP US History instead (in which case, the AO background will be very helpful as she tackles deeper material).

• Like 1