Menu

MMR vax before trip

sarasue7272

My two children (4&7) are going to hawaii next weekend. I am planning to get them vaccinated for mmr this afternoon (they haven't had any vaccines yet). The side effects happen between 5-12 days according to the cdc, but side effects are unlikely. The trip is 9 days away! I'm nervous I don't want them to have a reaction on the trip but I'm also paranoid about them travelling on airplanes in and out of California and hawaii.

Is it really unlikely they will have a reaction?

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.

You know that the vaccine isn't effective right away, don't you?  So they won't have immunity on the trip.  I believe (but ask your doctor to be sure) that it isn't really effective until 4 weeks after the vaccine and even then most people need two shots to really be immune.  So, honestly, I would wait until they got back home to do it.  

• Like 2

The measles vaccine is the one that has the most reactions, and taking vitamin A can help prevent/reduce any reactions, just like taking vitamin A is helpful for actual measles.  If you are really concerned about them catching measles and want them vaccinated today, you could pick up a small bottle of TwinLab Norwegian cod liver oil from Vitamin Shoppe or any other store that carries it.  It has a decent amount of both vitamins A and D in it.  Some don't have much at all due to the way they are processed.  You could give it to them before the vaccine, and then again before bed, and once or twice a day until they leave on the trip.  Will you be going, too? 

ETA:  To be clear, vitamin A doesn't prevent measles, but it can help reduce reactions. 

My middle daughter (immunocompromised until recently) just got hers a couple of months ago.  She was tired and had a very low fever off and on for a day or two.

Most people get vaccinated.  Most people who get vaccinated don't have reactions. Most people who get the measles, mumps and rubella don't die from it (ask your great-grandparents.) Most people ride in cars.  Most people who ride in cars don't get killed or permanently maimed in car accidents. Most people ride in airplanes at some point.  Most people who ride in airplanes don't experience plane crashes. There is no way to eliminate risk entirely though.  There's risk if you do get vaccinated and risk if you don't get vaccinated.  Which risk are you most comfortable with? Accept and embrace the risk.

• Like 2