Menu

A Door Closes

bugs

An interesting turn of events happened that actually closed a door for my daughter.  We had been waiting to hear from the University of Washington about admissions (Application was due on Dec 1 and they let students know in Mar sometime).  On Mar 2, they sent my daughter an e-mail telling her she was really a transfer student in their eyes; please send your transcripts and update your personal statement.  Hmmm.   

After a couple of days I looked on their website and noted that they don't let transfer students know whether or not they are admitted until Jun/Jul.  This date is later than Freshman.  So, that particular college is off the list (Can I say here that I am secretly thrilled that it is? It is so large! Though a beautiful campus.)

It is interesting that UW is one of the few state colleges/universities that she would be considered a transfer.  I guess we should have looked a little closer.

• Like 2

Can I ask why she was considered a transfer student?  UW clearly states on its admissions website that it doesn't matter how much college credit a student has, as long as it was earned during high school, the student will be considered a freshman.  I know a kid who went to CC full time for three years and was considered a freshman by UW (this was just last year).

• Like 1

I can't find the page, but basically she is a transfer student because she graduated in Jun with her high school/AA diplomas but didn't start at UW that fall.  She is taking a gap year.  (And no, she has not taken any classes since graduation)

ETA: The link is under admissions "guide me", vs just freshman or transfer headings.  http://admit.washington.edu/Admission/GuideMe

I can't find the page, but basically she is a transfer student because she graduated in Jun with her high school/AA diplomas but didn't start at UW that fall.  She is taking a gap year.  (And no, she has not taken any classes since graduation)

That's really weird.  I'm glad my son decided not to apply to UW.

• Like 1

AA diploma makes you a transfer student.

UW wants local students to take classes there and not at our local CCs. I could go on and on about all their politicking but I will just say, I find Western and WSU far more student friendly.

• Like 3

I can't find the page, but basically she is a transfer student because she graduated in Jun with her high school/AA diplomas but didn't start at UW that fall… The link is under admissions "guide me"… http://admit.washington.edu/Admission/GuideMe

Just for those of you who were wondering:

Some universities are fine with students having earned an Associate's degree via dual enrollment by the time of high school graduation, and still consider the student a freshman.

Others will count the student as a transfer student if there is an Associate's degree. Or if the student exceeds the university's particular policy about maximum number of college credits that can be earned before high school graduation and still be considered a freshman. For some schools that may be 35 credits; for some 23-24; and some I've seen limit it to just 12 credits. Not very gracious, but each school gets to make their own rules. Perhaps that ends up being a HELP to homeschoolers, in crossing off schools. ;)

The lesson here that bugs has been so kind to share: be SURE to double and triple check ALL policies of the universities you apply to, esp. about transfer vs freshman status if your student earned dual enrollment credits during high school. It can make a VERY big difference in scholarship awards, as there are far fewer scholarships awarded to transfer students than incoming freshmen, and while freshmen scholarships are frequently renewable (good for several years), frequently transfer scholarships are one-time awards.

• Like 7

AA diploma makes you a transfer student.

UW wants local students to take classes there and not at our local CCs. I could go on and on about all their politicking but I will just say, I find Western and WSU far more student friendly.

Re UW admissions....Dd17 will have AA (via Running Start at Clark College). She is admitted/invited as a freshman but will hopefully register with jr. standing for winter quarter. AA didn't seem to be a problem for her application.

Perhaps the OP will get good news from UW this summer.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's nice to get a school off The List :-) Glad you're not too disappointed. My daughter is at UW. She entered as a sophomore after HS grad, because of her dual enrollment credits earned during senior year, but she did not have AA degree. Perhaps that is the difference? It sounds like the turn of events is fine with you, though if it's not, I'd suggest making some calls. I've found the people at UW to be exceptionally wonderful in difficult situations (daughter had health issues this year, and they were just great at smoothing the road for her)

• Like 2

Re UW admissions....Dd17 will have AA (via Running Start at Clark College). She is admitted/invited as a freshman but will hopefully register with jr. standing for winter quarter. AA didn't seem to be a problem for her application.

My nephew transferred into UW and I recall that his notification came late in the summer. He was really sweating it out. He loved the school and graduated with a degree in software engineering.
  • Like 3

The difference, it seems, is that my daughter is currently in a gap year (though she is taking no classes).  If she applied in her senior year and was available to go directly to UW in the fall they would have considered her a freshman.

• Like 1

Running Start is a bit different because there is a different body overseeing that agreement than the body that oversees (somewhat) the agreements between universities and community colleges in the state. Running Start is like a third party. I am glad your daughter will get to enter as a junior.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that my daughter applied at a university a few years ago, and even though she hadn't taken any classes at all after high school (she just took the year off to work and travel), they said that even life experience after high school would require you to apply as a transfer student.

• Like 1