Menu

Looking for history program for 6th grader & 9th grader.

I am looking for a well laid out program for my daughters next year, grades 6 and 9. Here are my requirements...

• Not too expensive. $150 max for both girls. I have access to a library. 
  • Literature Rich
  • Independent (This is a must as I am in college full time)
  • Some sort of comprehension questions or something that I can check in with them to see that they are doing their work and learning. 
  • Grade level appropriate
  • EASY to implement

I would be tempted to use $100 for the 6th grader if Veritas Press has a special again for self-paced online.  It's engaging, it has comprehension checks, and you can add suggested reading from the library (hopefully, or find substitutes from the library).  That leaves more than enough for a used spine, hopefully living, and maybe some other used books, for your 9th grader and then rely on the library to add literature in.  She could write brief outlines or summaries as her comprehension checks. 

• Like 1

I can't think of anything that complete that you could get two levels of with that budget.

Oak Meadow for the 9th grade would be inexpensive if you get the Glencoe textbook used. You'd have to add lit.

SWB's high school ancients book with guide would also be inexpensive. You'd have to add lit.

The little one could use History Odyssey from Pandia, but you'd need to add more literature.

Classical House of Learning has schedules with history and lit for free that could work for the little ones.

Edited by SilverMoon

I am looking for a well laid out program for my daughters next year, grades 6 and 9. Here are my requirements...

• Literature Rich
  • Some sort of comprehension questions or something that I can check in with them to see that they are doing their work and learning. 
  • EASY to implement

For $115.80 (plus shipping),* you could have your daughters work their way through two of these Memoria Press history courses in one school year:

The Book of the Ancient World

The Book of the Ancient Greeks

The Book of the Ancient Romans

The Book of the Middle Ages

You'd need to purchase two complete sets, plus an additional student guide for each course. Each course has approx. 28 lessons, so if the girls completed about two lessons each week and took the tests, one course would last for a semester. I think you'd need two courses to make up a History credit for your 9th grader. You could supplement these courses with additional reading from the library. If you look at this page and this page and this page, you can get some ideas for which books to add in to your students' schedules.

IMO, these courses would be easier than most to implement because the Student Guides and tests provide accountability and a check that students have done the readings. You aren't left with an annotated book list and the need to develop your own plans, questions, and tests. (And I think the well-written Dorothy Mills books are much, much more readable than the choppy, awkward, non-narrative BP Companion, but that's just me). I think that Ancient World, in particular, would be easier than most "ancients" courses to implement because it is arranged by culture, rather than strictly chronologically. What this means for you is that when your girls are "on Egypt," you could swing by the library, pick up the best books on Egypt, and be done with it for a few weeks. Next stop, Mesopotamia. You'll always know what books to place on hold. There is not so much hopping around from culture to culture, as there is in most Ancient History courses. If you want the girls to also grasp the chronology, they can (and should) construct a timeline.

If I went this route, I would spend the rest of my history budget on either a map product, such as Wondermaps, or a timeline product, such as History through the Ages timeline figures. If you check your girls' map work and timelines at the end of the school day, these two pieces of work can tell you a TON about what they are learning and retaining, plus connect you to their studies.

If your students need to work at different levels, but you want them on the same subject, also available are:

Famous Men of Greece

Famous Men of Rome

Famous Men of the Middle Ages

Of course, this would add to your costs. Another option is Ambleside Online, which is definitely literature rich and inexpensive. I don't know how easy it would be to check up on work with AO, though, since there are no teacher guides with discussion and comprehension questions (that I know of). Another option for your girls is Mystery of History or All American History. HTH.

* Edited to Add: These MP books are priced lower at Rainbow Resource ($108.90), and your shipping would be free. ;)

• Like 2

Have you looked at TRISMS-- history makers?  You could the same purchase for both children-- the younger would just take 2 years instead of one-- it is research based, (more independent) uses IEW writing integrated into the lessons, also integrates history of art, music, science and other things into the curriculum-- critical thinking as well--  I will be doing HM for my 6th grader in two years and I currently have my 9th grader doing the 1st high school program..  You can get it used fairly easily and buy you can do quite a bit at the library  (or you might have a lot of the books at home)   You can always add more literature if you want it

If you chose Omnibus 1, that would work for both girls (one year early for the 6th grader as it is technically for 7th). They could discuss themselves and you could discuss with them periodically quite well. Literature dense. Written to the student. Comprehension questions, but also lots of discussion based work and writing. If they were willing to. Work together, you would only need one Omnibus book and the library could supply the rest. That would make your monitary limits as well.

Just came across Biblioplan. Any thoughts on this program?

I think Biblioplan would fit your requirements. It is easy to implement, inexpensive, and many of the resources they schedule can be found at a decent library. A few years ago they updated their materials by adding new features like discussion questions, "reader" companion, and more in-depth questions that students work through as part of their weekly routine.

I have used pieces of Biblioplan for the Ancient and Middle Ages time periods. I liked the book choices and appreciated the easy-to-use format. Biblioplan might be your best bet.

• Literature Rich
  • EASY to implement

Veritas Press is having a half off sale and the Omnibus program might really be a good fit if you can afford it.  The teacher teaches it for you, grades are tracked, it is a very in depth program for what it is and you can be as hands on or off as you choose.

Guest caseyjgh

Have you heard of "The Big History Project?" The teacher version has supplements to help you and even project ideas. It was created by a history professor and funded by Bill Gates (who tried to overhaul the way history is taught in high schools). A 6th grader would understand, but may need to skip some of the more complex readings. It can be completely independent, and it's FUN!... Oh and I almost forgot, it's FREE! :)

(NOTE: There may be some conflicts with some religious beliefs, but if that's a problem you can always skip the conflicting sections and teach your version. This is what they have to say...

• There are numerous explanations of the origins of our planet as well as the Universe as a whole. Since the time of the earliest humans, we have struggled to make sense of our world. Big History represents one point of view, and is considered a modern, scientific origin story. )

https://www.bighistoryproject.com/home