Menu

Community College During Summer?

Jenny in Florida

My son has always been interested in theatre tech stuff. Our local community college offers both an associate's degree and a certificate program in that field. In fact, my son took one of the required classes while he was dual enrolled at the school.

Now he's in his freshman year at a four-year university in another city. He's double majoring in dance and musical theatre, but the college doesn't offer a program in any kind of theatre design or tech. He's friendly with the head of the theatre shop there, having built some props for the concert of one of the groups with which he performs. So, he asked the shop head about adding a minor in theatre design/tech, but they don't even offer enough classes in the subject to make it possible.

While we were at lunch yesterday between his two shows, my son was telling us about how sad he is not to be able to take more design/tech classes or to get any kind of credential in the field. (In addition to the fact that he likes it and is good at it, he sees it as yet another potential income stream once he's out in the world.) 

We struck on the idea of having him take classes at the local community college while he's home for the summer. If all goes well, he could take the remaining courses he needs to earn the certificate in the next couple of summers while he's home on break from the university.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have a kiddo who has? I know he'll need to re-apply to the community college as a non-degree seeking student, and he's aware that it's likely none of the community college classes would transfer to the university, since they don't have anything equivalent. We also know we'll need to pay the summer community college tuition out of pocket. I was concerned that these kind of specialty courses might not be offered during summer sessions. However, the college is offering three of the four he would need to complete the certificate this summer, which suggests he should be able to get most of them between this year and next. He is also already planning to move back home for six months to a year after graduation so that he can work full time and save a nest egg for whatever he decides his next move will be. So, if he had to take one more class the fall after he gets his BFA, that's fine.

Can anyone think of any other issues or challenges or weirdnesses we haven't yet anticipated?

My son has always been interested in theatre tech stuff. Our local community college offers both an associate's degree and a certificate program in that field. In fact, my son took one of the required classes while he was dual enrolled at the school.

While we were at lunch yesterday between his two shows, my son was telling us about how sad he is not to be able to take more design/tech classes or to get any kind of credential in the field. (In addition to the fact that he likes it and is good at it, he sees it as yet another potential income stream once he's out in the world.) 

I would ask around and see how important credentialing is in this particular field.  It may very well be that any particular credential isn't nearly as important as experience, and if he has an interest, it would be better to simply find work in this field over the summer, either as an unpaid intern, or low-level lackey, who can work his way up through experience.  Work experience that he could get via contacts at his college may very well be more valuable that community college credits.

• Like 1

I would ask around and see how important credentialing is in this particular field.  It may very well be that any particular credential isn't nearly as important as experience, and if he has an interest, it would be better to simply find work in this field over the summer, either as an unpair intern, or low-level lackey, who can work his way up through experience.  Work experience that he could get via contacts at his college may very well be more valuable that community college credits.

He really wants to take the classes. 

In addition to GGardner's great point… The CC may not even offer theater/tech, stagecraft, stage lighting, costume design, etc. classes over the summer. Usually those classes run during the school year, and work done for the classes is to build scenery and props for the specific shows performed during the school year. 

What does your CC's course catalog list as summer classes in the theater dept.?

I was worried about that, too. But I checked, and they are offering three of the four classes he would need to finish up the certificate this summer. He wouldn't take more than two, because more than that would be a bit much for summer in terms of both time and tuition.However, it does suggest that he won't have that much trouble getting the classes he needs during the summers.

Also, as I think I mentioned above, he is already more or less planning on coming home for six months or a year after graduation to work full time and bank enough to finance whatever his next move turns out to be. Our daughter did something similar, and it worked out nicely for her. We don't have the financial wherewithal to hand our kids a check to help them rent apartments and buy furniture and otherwise set up housekeeping. But we are more than happy to let them live at home for a bit while they work and save and we pay the bills. So, if he needed to take a class or even two in the fall semester after graduation to finish the certificate, that wouldn't be a big problem.

• Like 1

I took community college classes and it worked out really well.  I was taking unimportant classes that would transfer in.   Financially it worked out extremely well.   Both my 4-year and the community college were local state schools.  Because I was a full-time student in the 4-year, I only had to pay tuition at the community college.  Since student fees were almost equal to tuition and the per-rate was a lot less, it was a big savings for me.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard many 4yr students around here take the really hard classes at CC during the summers.  I know of one student who added a minor to her program that way.  It was the only way to fit it in.  (Nursing student adding a Spanish minor.)

So it is possible and it is done.

I've heard many 4yr students around here take the really hard classes at CC during the summers.  I know of one student who added a minor to her program that way.  It was the only way to fit it in.  (Nursing student adding a Spanish minor.)

So it is possible and it is done.

My neighbor's ds took anatomy and physiology in the summer at cc. He was a PE major. His school accepted a required course being taken at cc and even recommended it.

Here it is much more expensive to attend during the summer.  The state underwrites part of the cost of fall and spring semester.  They don't discount summer tuition, even for state residents.  So the price goes from $125/credit up to around $250 per credit during the summer. 

Sort of crazy in my mind.