Menu

Is it dangerous to get the chickenpox vaccine after having had chicken pox?

Xahm

My husband doesn't have evidence that he had chicken pox as a child, though he knows he did. For work, he's going to have to be vaccinated if he doesn't have the record. Is this likely to cause any problems, like a shingles attack, or is it just a waste of a shot?

Thanks

He can request a chicken pox titer test. It's easy and done quite often. Your doctor can order it. It is pretty common for adults to request one so they can know if they have immunity to CP. 

When my kids had CP, dh was about to leave on an extended business trip and didn't want to suddenly get sick on the plane.  He had no memory of having CP. We called the doctor, he called the test in, dh went to the lab, had his blood drawn and I think we even had results first thing the next day. Now dh has proof in his medical record that he has had CP, or at least has immunity.

He can request a chicken pox titer test. It's easy and done quite often. Your doctor can order it. It is pretty common for adults to request one so they can know if they have immunity to CP. 

When my kids had CP, dh was about to leave on an extended business trip and didn't want to suddenly get sick on the plane.  He had no memory of having CP. We called the doctor, he called the test in, dh went to the lab, had his blood drawn and I think we even had results first thing the next day. Now dh has proof in his medical record that he has had CP, or at least has immunity.

Thought of that, but there's really not time.

Thanks, all. This is kind of a last minute "ahh! Measles outbreak!" thing. Dr Google thinks I must be asking if it's possible to get chicken pox after vaccination, and the CDC doesn't consider this a common question. They don't list previously vaxxed people on the "who should not get this vax" list. He might be able to stall and get a titer done, but that would create a lot of logistical difficulties. Since it looks like it will just waste a shot, I think he'll just take it.

Shouldn"t be any problems from him getting the vaccine>  It will just act as a booster. If anything, it should decrease shingles possibility. With so little cp circulating these days, older people are needing a shingles vaccine as they age. This should be the same thing for him; so not even truly a waste of a shot.