Menu

Do I want Sonlight D + E or My Father's World 1850 to Modern times?

Excelsior! Academy

They do go through the states, but I gauge how much detail to do based on their interest.  We do each sheet but sometimes it is nothing more than putting on the state flag sticker, pointing out a few of the interesting facts to them, and then having them color while I read.    Some states seemed to grab their interest more than others, like when we got to our state.  I also don't do all of their read aloud books, sometimes I substitute ones that would interest my boys more.  I mostly follow their schedule but tweak it slightly to work for us.

I vote MFW.  We were devoted SL users until core D.  P 3/4 through D.  And I already knew the boys weren't retaining much with absolutely zero hands-on, but there really wasn't time to add any.  And I didn't want to create my own.

And Core D was THE most BORING year of homeschooling we have ever had.  Ever.  The readers were dry, dry, dry (mostly the Advanced readers--one son did Adv, the other did Regular--regulars didn't have quite so many historical novels).  My boys like to read, but this year, between the read-alouds and the readers and the sheer volume of core work (1 1/2-2 hours daily), it was a bad year.

We had done a gap year of MFW Adv between Core A and B to let my 2nd son catch up maturitywise, and I loved the way the TM was written--thorough but friendly; loved the EASY hands-on suggestions and provided notebooking pages.  Lots of recipes!! & we always like to eat--

So after Core D, I said, lets give the MFW cycle a try--and we jumped into ECC (first year of the 5 year cycle).  We are in Rome to Reformation now--year 3, and it is so much easier to use.  There is probably 1/2 the reading as Sonlight but honestly, I feel like we cover just as much, AND have time and energy to process, understand and enjoy it.  We're sold.

We don't do every little thing--there are some silly hands-on things (anything with a costume, ugh!) but it's easier to adapt MFW to be perfect for us than it was to adapt SL to be perfect for us----

I"m really excited about doing Exp to 1850 next year.  So I can't vouch for the exact year you are looking at in MFW, haven't done it, but I can say--we certainly didn't love SL Core D.  Not a good fit for us.

B

I vote MFW.  We were devoted SL users until core D.  P 3/4 through D.  And I already knew the boys weren't retaining much with absolutely zero hands-on, but there really wasn't time to add any.  And I didn't want to create my own.

And Core D was THE most BORING year of homeschooling we have ever had.  Ever.  The readers were dry, dry, dry (mostly the Advanced readers--one son did Adv, the other did Regular--regulars didn't have quite so many historical novels).  My boys like to read, but this year, between the read-alouds and the readers and the sheer volume of core work (1 1/2-2 hours daily), it was a bad year.

We had done a gap year of MFW Adv between Core A and B to let my 2nd son catch up maturitywise, and I loved the way the TM was written--thorough but friendly; loved the EASY hands-on suggestions and provided notebooking pages.  Lots of recipes!! & we always like to eat--

So after Core D, I said, lets give the MFW cycle a try--and we jumped into ECC (first year of the 5 year cycle).  We are in Rome to Reformation now--year 3, and it is so much easier to use.  There is probably 1/2 the reading as Sonlight but honestly, I feel like we cover just as much, AND have time and energy to process, understand and enjoy it.  We're sold.

We don't do every little thing--there are some silly hands-on things (anything with a costume, ugh!) but it's easier to adapt MFW to be perfect for us than it was to adapt SL to be perfect for us----

I"m really excited about doing Exp to 1850 next year.  So I can't vouch for the exact year you are looking at in MFW, haven't done it, but I can say--we certainly didn't love SL Core D.  Not a good fit for us.

B

We're also in RTR right now!  I already ordered Exp.-1850!  So excited.

I didn't want to be the first to say it... Rebecca did Core B (1) for second grade.  First, I should have never listened to everyone who said to use the core down a year.  Second, she is scarred for life by "that boring history book" - CHOW - and seriously retained nothing.  The only good things that came out of that year were the Millers' missionary stories and the George Mueller book.

And SL LA?  Worst homeschooling curriculum I have ever tried.

That said, it is soooo easy to pick out some SL books that are good to throw in the book basket.

That said, it is soooo easy to pick out some SL books that are good to throw in the book basket.

I'm thinking about adding some SL readers to MFW next year, actually buying them and commiting to using them.  My sister used SL through Core D too, and jumped ship, but still buys her kids a reader package from SL each year--they don't have a schedule since they didn't buy the IG, but they just read for 20-30 minutes each day and are getting a variety of books.

That's the one thing I miss from SL is having scheduled readers BUT, like I said, the quantity in Core D and the monotony of the Advanced D readers was too much.  I'd love to buy about half of a reader package this year, thinking about it.  While MFW has great book basket suggestions, it's too easy to skip :) and there aren't always reader suggestions.  We start each year strong with a list of books I want the boys to read, but it kind of peters out.

B

We are not a "hands on" kind of family. We really enjoyed SL D+E, although my youngest used it while my oldest did Core 100 and we all read History of US together instead of using the spine(s) from D+E. 

We loved SL in upper elementary/middle school. It was the only time my kids ever liked history.

We did D last year and are working through E now. Hits here. BUT, I don't use it exactly as written. AND I don't love anything hands on, which I've heard is a selling point for mfw. I know no-one irl that loves sonlight (excluding myself, but I'm leaning away from it for us in the future), but know several who sing the praises of mfw for the reasons listed above.

I didn't want to be the first to say it... Rebecca did Core B (1) for second grade. First, I should have never listened to everyone who said to use the core down a year. Second, she is scarred for life by "that boring history book" - CHOW - and seriously retained nothing. The only good things that came out of that year were the Millers' missionary stories and the George Mueller book.

Everyone at our house LOVED CHOW. It's a favorite here, and they've quoted it months later, so clearly they retained information out of it. Every family is different :-)

And SL LA? Worst homeschooling curriculum I have ever tried.

Agreed.

Agreed!