Menu

Question about repeat testing

I am having testing done to document learning disabilities, so this paper trail can be used when requesting accommodations later, whether that is high school or college.  For our older son, I had him tested after 3rd grade.  Now he is in 6th, so I am going to have him tested again - I want to have documentation for elementary, middle and high school.  Anyway, my question - for repeat testing, is it best to go back to the same psychologist who did the first testing, or to go to someone different ?  I can think of arguments for both - by going back to the same person, maybe we don't have to re-do everything, and maybe the results will be more consistent because the delivery of the test will be similar to the first time.  On the other hand, maybe it looks more credible if the dx came from different, independent professionals, and maybe the psychologist who did the first testing would bring bias into the second testing.  Is there an established recommendation about this ?  TIA !

I am guessing that if you are comfortable with the first professional you have used that it might be best to keep a working relationship going.  Now, obviously, if it wasn't a great experience than perhaps it is time to find a new provider.  It might be helpful to have original provided do testing so that there could be a comparison of results - improvements or not and what accommodations have worked/failed; a continuity of care.  As for documenting as you go along - just keep in mind that once they get to the college level you'll need fresh documentation - nothing more than a year old, if that.  I know that the SAT people are getting pretty sticky about accommodations and people are seeking them earlier and making a trail to document the need but I'm not sure that I'd be do a bunch of repeated testing unless it were really necessary.

Given the choice, I would get a fresh perspective.  Also, the tests administered each time may be different due to the child's age.  I do think that there is a potential "report/diagnosis bias" with an evaluator whom you have seen previously.  To avoid this entirely, you would need to exclude past reports from the present evaluation process.  There are pros and cons to this.   I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer to this question, really, but I am drawn to the idea of a fresh set of eyes on the kid.

With colleges, they don't so much look at the latest assessment?

Rather they look for proof of a history of a diagnosis.

As a history provides greater validity.

A change in psychologist, can look a bit like fishing for a psych that will say what you want?

The only criteria for using a different psych?

Is if based on your own intuition, you felt that the psych didn't understand your sons difficulties?

I'm not sure it matters for either college board or college if you stay with the same person or not. I'd do what you think is best for your child.

I don't want to switch, but I'm in the situation that I can't get my psych to return calls or emails and therefore can't even schedule an appointment. I think she may have taken leave, but her answering machine still says she'll call you right back.

Does anyone know how current testing needs to be before college? I'm thinking within two years of starting college, but I'm not sure.

I think it depends on the college.  Some require testing be within three years of applying for college accommodations but others have different time frames.  Some apparently DO require a documented history of needing accommodations and some say that if you have that coupled with an older evaluation they will consider providing accommodations without a newer eval.  I really, really think it depends on the college, or at least that is what seems to be the experience of many who have gone down this route.   

The irony is, from what a friend tells me, universities are much more frustrated about kids being ELIGIBLE for accommodations and NOT USING them than they are about what the documentation was.  Apparently that's our bigger hurdle, making sure our kids are WILLING to use their accommodations, comfortable with asking (requiring) them, comfortable that sometimes things will be different (where they take a test, etc.).  If our kids aren't comfortable with themselves and the process, they're not going to use the accommodations even though the school will want to help them.  Horse and water and all that.

When I taught at the university level, students had to obtain the accommodation and then present me with a letter from the Office of Disabilities stating what accommodation they were to receive. Usually it was taking tests at the testing center rather than with the class.

So in order to use the accommodations, a student had to "out himself" to a teacher at the very beginning of the semester. That may be intimidating or difficult for some students.

Well, if our first NP was still in business, I would have happily reused her.

I've used three NPs thus far, and I don't expect it matters.

For colleges, check their policies.  My State Uni has an Office of Disabilites Services Office that manages accommodations.  NP testing must be within 3 years for an entering high school student and 5 years for an adult student.  The school accepts specific achievement and WISC-IV testing with sub-test and standard scores provided to the school.  Maybe, call schools that you are interested in and ask.

Heather, you know what I hadn't thought through?  With the timing off all this, if our kids DE, then they'll need fresh testing within 3 years of DE, yes?  And such that it ends up within 3 years for freshman year of college too?  So I should actually be re-evaling dd sometime reasonably soon if I hope to let dd DE, and it would, at this point, worth for BOTH.  Just had not thought about having the paper trail for accommodations for DE, duh.  But you're right, we'll need it.  We eval'd when she was in 7th, which somehow seems like yesterday, sniff.  So at this point, to use for accommodations for DE, dunno.  I'm not sure if we have any plans to DE in the fall, not sure if she's there or not.  I'lll have to pull her file and see what the dates were.  

The money keeps bleeding...

Given the choice, I would get a fresh perspective.  Also, the tests administered each time may be different due to the child's age.  I do think that there is a potential "report/diagnosis bias" with an evaluator whom you have seen previously.  To avoid this entirely, you would need to exclude past reports from the present evaluation process.  There are pros and cons to this.   I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer to this question, really, but I am drawn to the idea of a fresh set of eyes on the kid.

I lean towards this way of thinking for a kid with a complex set of challenges. Testers have their own unique backgrounds and theoretical frameworks for looking at LD's. You don't want somebody who thinks everything is a nail just because he/she's holding a hammer.

If it's pretty clearcut that the child's issue is X, then I think having someone consistent who can evaluate changes over time would be helpful.

Heather, you know what I hadn't thought through?  With the timing off all this, if our kids DE, then they'll need fresh testing within 3 years of DE, yes?  And such that it ends up within 3 years for freshman year of college too?  So I should actually be re-evaling dd sometime reasonably soon if I hope to let dd DE, and it would, at this point, worth for BOTH.  Just had not thought about having the paper trail for accommodations for DE, duh.  But you're right, we'll need it.  We eval'd when she was in 7th, which somehow seems like yesterday, sniff.  So at this point, to use for accommodations for DE, dunno.  I'm not sure if we have any plans to DE in the fall, not sure if she's there or not.  I'lll have to pull her file and see what the dates were.  

I know..It's an expensive pain.  I'd still check the schools that your DD is considering.  Even when the schools provide help, the quality of the helps may not be so good.  Also, a private college/uni may interprete Federal Law differently.

I know..It's an expensive pain.  I'd still check the schools that your DD is considering.  Even when the schools provide help, the quaity of the helps may not be so good.  Also, a private college/uni may interprete Federal Law differently.

That's going to be my next step.  I think schools that accept federal funds are subject to ADA law.  I'm not sure how much room they have legally.  But there is that curious point about whether the school is actually ADA-compliant, sigh.

Bummer, I hadn't even thought about the implications of dual enrollment - which we are considering.

Thank you all.  If there is nothing wrong with going back to the same person, I will take him back.  The evaluation seemed thorough.  He also gave me some specific advice about teaching him, both to work around his issues and help him progress in those areas, that has been really helpful the last three years.  

My ds is in college.  I checked their website and found the required paperwork which I took to my ds's provider (he's severely hearing impaired) and she wrote up what was needed to be submitted.  She didn't retest him.  She wrote out a long list of accommodations and basically explained to ds that it was a lot easier to have more on the list of accommodations because you don't have to use them all if you don't need them.  As for letting the professors know - the school writes up an Memorandum of Accommodations and the student just hands this to the instructor.  No questions asked and nobody's business.  The Disability counselor did say that accommodations were more friendlier at the community college and smaller colleges and that the big colleges can be difficult to get the services needed.  Yes, they are required to follow ADA (I actually helped draft the ADA many many moons ago) but the big colleges don't go out of their way to really do much to accommodate.  Now I've heard that the SAT/ACT is more strict about showing a history of disability from elementary age and onward because they seemed to have an issue with people perhaps scamming the system.  I did not have ds take the SAT because he is a horrible test taker and that would have been his demise.  He's worked hard the CC earning a high grade point average which was much more indicative of his abilities.