Menu

Bakers! Help with making a cookie into a cake?

Lovingparent

So, it's my son's birthday in a few days. We usually order a cake from Safeway, but he is super picky and he does not eat it. I thought I'd surprise him this year and bake a cake based on his favorite cookie. The recipe is from Martha Stewart, they are the Surprise cookies

http://www.marthastewart.com/356831/surprise-cookies. They are fairly simple, I make cookie dough, bake it, add half marshmallow on each cookie, bake it 2 more minutes and then when cold add the icing on top.

So, I was thinking I should just make the cookie dough x 3-4 fold, bake it, add the marshmallows on top. and then when cold add icing on the whole cake. Is this going to work? Any reasons why it may not work?

Is the cookie soft after it is baked?  If it is a hard cookie it might crumble when you try to cut it.

Why not just bake his favorite cookie instead of a cake.  Enough cookies for everyone or cookies for him and a cake for everyone else.

I think it will work if you are careful that it is the same thickness as a cookie. There are many recipes for putting chocolate chip cookie dough on a pizza pan and making a big cookie. Check around and see if there are any changes.  Why not make cookies and put them on a raised stand of some kind?

We often have non-cake birthday treats and will just bring out unscented tea lights.

But...

If I wanted to do a cake with the cookies you linked to I would do this:

I'd order a cake like usual and have them cover the top with sprinkles. I would then arrange the cookies to cover the top of the cake and add candles in between the cookies. (I would do sprinkles to look cute and also so the frosting wouldn't stick to the cookies.)

Be Forewarned:  The jarred marshmallow stuff does NOT hold its shape, and will ooze all down the sides of the cupcakes you made for your mother in law.

And onto the decorative plate. 
So maybe stiffen it with cornstarch, and pipe it in a design (like a spiral)?

I would undercook the giant cookie just a little, to make sure it stays soft. 

You may want to drop the oven temp 25 deg, so that the center gets done without burning the edge.

Or you could arrange the regular-sized finished cookies to spell out his initial, or some favorite shape.

Maybe put a candle in the center of each regular-sized cookie, and sprinkles on the top of everything.

We routinely ditch the traditional birthday cake for a favorite recipe, like this one.

I'd bake 1 large cookie in/on a pizza pan--slightly thicker than usual (go ahead and squash the dough down most of the way- it will still spread some so leave some room on edges!).  Lower the temp 10 or so degrees and bake a bit longer than usual until done.

Keep cookie on pan the whole time (after it bakes I would make sure it was not sticking but I would not remove it from pan (it will need to be supported).

Use real marshmallows-- or even mini-marshmallows and treat as usual-- place in oven until they are soft enough to spread-- let the whole thing cool then smother in icing.

It should hold candles just fine!

I would be worried about trying to layer because this cookie is a 'soft' cookie-- it would probably be a mess.

A single x-large cookie like this would be AWESOME! 

hmmm... not much leavening, and only 1 egg.  It won't rise like a cake, more like a brownie. And it might overcook around the edges before the middle cooks.  Like someone mentioned, it might work as long as you don't make it any thicker than it would be but even then...watch those edges. And be prepared, it might rise a bit in the middle only to sink in the middle when it cools.

I say you've got a 50-50 shot. Is there any way you can try a dry run just do see if it works?

I just wanted to thank everyone that responded. There were some great ideas. I really had my heart set to making the cookie into a cake. I wanted to surprise my son. I didn't have much time to do a dry run, so I went with it. From the beginning, I was thinking more along the lines of a brownie cake, not a layered cake.

So, I made the cookie dough 2x and used a release brownie cake pan. The double dough turned to be too much, I will definitely make less next time. It came to almost double what a brownie cake would be and it also rose, so it was like a full cake. I would use the release cake pan again though. Midway, after the dough had solidified I took the round piece off and I think the cake cooked more evenly.

Talking about baking though, it took 4 times as long as the cookies to bake. 

Usually, I buy the Campfire marshmallows in the normal size. This time I purchased the Kraft jumbo ones and they looked kind of funny, like eggs over easy  :laugh: . I would go with the normal size next time.

All in all, I am happy with how it turned out and I would do it again, although with a few changes. Most importantly my son loved it. I started making these cookies when he was in preschool. He was 4 and now he turned 14. 

Anyway, I wanted to post some pictures, but I have no idea how to add them here.