Menu

They never stop needing their mom...

JFSinIL

DD, 21, just called me from work (she lives in an apartment, has a full-time job over a year now, about five minutes from us) to ask what to do about her very bad sore throat and chest pains.  I told her to have the other office lady check her throat for strep, etc.  Momming over the phone.  Now she want to drive home on her mid-morning break for me to check her, too. 

Ah, kids.

This the day after I drive three hours to take ds (living by college) to his doctor appointment (prior visit fell through when the reserved taxi never showed. DS has no car).  As long as I was there I brought him home to visit.

Let's see, what do the other kids need today...?

haha…I know that feeling, too.  It's very sweet, but sometimes with my 3 kids being the same, it always feels like someone needs you for something! But I love that they have a good relationship with me.  I never had that with my mum, and always wanted it for my kids. 

My 21yo dd called me this morning to say she locked the keys in her car, and what should she do! Her spare was here at home, and she was 3 hrs away.  I was as clueless as her this time, though, apart from saying I'd drive up and deliver the spare to her.  She couldn't wait that long, so she ended up organising a professional herself.  It was good for her to do it for herself, but sweet that I'm her first port of call for all info! :-)

Until I was well into my 20s, my dad would always check out the tires on my car when I came home.  I left home for college at 17 and never lived at home more than two or three weeks at a time after that.  I paid for college and graduate school myself, so I was almost 100% financially independent at a very young age.  He knew, though, that I thoroughly neglected car maintenance and would never check my own tires.  On more than one occasion, he insisted that we drop everything, right then and there, and  get new tires on my car.  I had the nerve to come home once with the steel innards of my tires peeking through the thread--I am aghast now at how dangerous that probably was.  But I also am old enough to realize that he probably enjoyed being dad on those occasions, and I am glad that I let him.  It's actually been only recently that I've gotten any good at car maintenance, and it is only because I have a 17 year old driver and am trying to set a good example.  But I also do to her car exactly what my dad did to mine--I take it for oil changes, I have the brakes checked, I check her fluids and, yes, I check her tires!  And I expect to do so for many years to come.

No, we don't ever stop needing our mom.  ;) When I had my hysterectomy (at 46 years old), my mom came by the house every day to check my stitches and, when I was able, to take a walk with me. She also went to all my appointments with me, even into the exam room. Just the other day, she came over and took up a shirt and hemmed some pants for us. Don't know what I'll ever do without her, and don't want to even think about it.

No, we don't ever stop needing our mom.  ;) When I had my hysterectomy (at 46 years old), my mom came by the house every day to check my stitches and, when I was able, to take a walk with me. She also went to all my appointments with me, even into the exam room. Just the other day, she came over and took up a shirt and hemmed some pants for us. Don't know what I'll ever do without her, and don't want to even think about it.

Great minds!  We posted at the same time!  Go Moms!

You must have always had a wonderful relationship with your dd. I hope my dd still calls home for advice when she moves out.

I do not call my mother for advice. I love my mother, but we never had a close relationship, she never talked to me about anything growing up and never wanted to just chat with me about whatever was happening in my child or adolescent life. Today, it's just hard to talk to someone who never learned about who I am when I was living with her.  If I am sick or need to talk she would be the last person I asked for help/advice. I've tried to create a completely different type of relationship with my dd. I am going to miss her terribly when she goes to college.