Menu

Very easy gluten-free cookies?

Laura Corin

One of the members of one of my book groups is gluten free.  Can you suggest your simplest possible cookie/biscuit recipe please?  Extra credit if it doesn't include branded goods, because I won't be able to find them here....  I don't think she's very keen on chocolate, so something else would be good.

Thanks

Laura

Peanut butter cookies.

To make about a dozen, use 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and (optional) a splash of vanilla.  Combine, drop by teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or roll into balls using wet hands.  Wet your fingers and kind of mush the cookies down or wet a fork and mush down using the tines.  Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. 

Peanut butter cookies.

To make about a dozen, use 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and (optional) a splash of vanilla. Combine, drop by teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or roll into balls using wet hands. Wet your fingers and kind of mush the cookies down or wet a fork and mush down using the tines. Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.

This is what I was going to suggest. I would line the pan with Parchment Paper and not be offended if she still doesn't eat any. Cross contamination is an issue for extremely sensitive individuals when prepared in kitchens that are not strictly gluten free. We only eat food that we prepare ourselves or store bought.

Peanut butter cookies.

To make about a dozen, use 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and (optional) a splash of vanilla.  Combine, drop by teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or roll into balls using wet hands.  Wet your fingers and kind of mush the cookies down or wet a fork and mush down using the tines.  Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. 

Ooh.  I can do that!  I don't like peanut butter cookies myself, but I'll bake some ANZACs as well...

Thanks

L

Thanks - I like the look of the first ones - I'm a bit scared of the second ones because they involve all kinds of flours that I don't normally keep and probably wouldn't use up.

L

This is what I was going to suggest. I would line the pan with Parchment Paper and not be offended if she still doesn't eat any. Cross contamination is an issue for extremely sensitive individuals when prepared in kitchens that are not strictly gluten free. We only eat food that we prepare ourselves or store bought.

I don't think she's very sensitive: she has eaten store bought gluten free things that I have opened in my kitchen before bringing them out to the sitting room, and she hasn't had a problem.

I'll make her cookies first, and if she doesn't eat them, I'm sure that Husband and Hobbes will.

L

If she's gluten free for true health reasons then she probably won't eat anything you bring. She will bring her own food if she wants to eat. While it's nice to try and provide food for people with serious health reasons it is too risky for them to eat anything not prepared in a way to guarantee it is safe. 

It would be better to buy a prepackaged item and give them to her unopened. 

I don't think she's very sensitive: she has eaten store bought gluten free things that I have opened in my kitchen before bringing them out to the sitting room, and she hasn't had a problem.

I'll make her cookies first, and if she doesn't eat them, I'm sure that Husband and Hobbes will.

L

If that's the case then make the above mentioned cookies but use nutella instead. So yummy. 

If she's gluten free for true health reasons then she probably won't eat anything you bring. She will bring her own food if she wants to eat. While it's nice to try and provide food for people with serious health reasons it is too risky for them to eat anything not prepared in a way to guarantee it is safe. 

It would be better to buy a prepackaged item and give them to her unopened. 

I've seen her eat at other (non gluten-free) houses.  I think it's a preference rather than a severe sensitivity.  

L

meringue kisses.  I only use egg yolks with spritz cookies - so this is what I do with the egg whites. very  easy to make - make meringue, put dollops (I use a pastry bag with a large tip - they don't spread so you can put them fairly close together) on a foil lined (important) cookie sheet, bake.  I leave them in the turned-off after baking oven overnight so they really dry out.  store air-tight.

If you want to make them deadly - have a softend cream cheese available to sandwich some together.  they absorb the moisture from the cream cheese, so they must be eaten immediately.

Chocolate chip meringue.

Preheat oven to 325.

2 egg whites

1 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

6oz semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Whip egg whites until stiff peaks begin to form. Add sugar 2 tbls at a time. Beat well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop by teasooonful onto cookie sheets. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.

My dd6 is gluten-free and chocolate-free.  My mom adapted her forgotten cookie recipe and they turned out really well - the basic recipe is naturally gluten-free, and she used vanilla chips instead of chocolate chips (and cashews instead of pecans, because dd6 loves cashews), and they were better than the "usual" chocolate-chip-and-pecan recipe (really, you can use any combo of chips and nuts).  And they are dead easy to make:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/meringue-cookies-forgotten-kisses-recipe.html 

Peanut butter cookies.

To make about a dozen, use 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and (optional) a splash of vanilla. Combine, drop by teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or roll into balls using wet hands. Wet your fingers and kind of mush the cookies down or wet a fork and mush down using the tines. Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.

This one is yummy! My dd makes this recipe and we sometimes add chocolate chips to it!

Paula Deen's Monster cookies are gluten-free (they have oatmeal, which can be cross-contaminated with gluten but you can buy gluten-free certified oatmeal or it may sound like she isn't as strict). They are very easy and you can add or leave out whatever toppings you want (they call for chocolate chips, raisins and M&Ms but you don't have to put them all or could put other similar things). 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/monster-cookies-recipe.html

(Regular rice krispies do contain gluten. Barley malt is one of the ingredients. The gluten free krispies don't contain barley, so it's not just a matter of having been labeled differently.)

Thanks for this. I always wondered how they differed.  We order the GF Rice Krispies through Amazon's Subscribe & Save program.  Seems to be the most cost-effective (for us).