Menu

The Scarlet and the Black

creekland

The Scarlet and the Black

I'm sure some of y'all must have recommended this movie before, but I was oblivious at the time.

So... now that we just finished watching it, I have to give my kudos to it and recommendation to the Hive.

It is NOT a movie for younger children.

It IS a great movie for seeing a true hero of WWII - not a fighter - but a priest who literally saves thousands during the German occupation of Rome.  It most reminds me of Schindler's List, but of course, is its own (true) story.

It has war violence, but it's clean of language and s_x.

Here's the quick google search page from which you can choose the link of your choice to see it.  We got it via Netflix (DVD).

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=the+scarlet+and+the+black

I have to admit I love watching movies about true superheroes.  I'm glad there are those out there who keep their accomplishments and memories alive.

And like all such movies - it's a great reminder that the majority of things I deal with are first world problems and/or small stuff.  I need a reminder every so often.

I love this movie.

In junior high school, my history teacher did a whole "unit" with us about it. We had these booklets with the script and we read sections of it outloud. We studied other books and bios of other WWII people along with reading the Scarlett and the Black.

Obviously, it stuck with me all these years!

I love this movie.

In junior high school, my history teacher did a whole "unit" with us about it. We had these booklets with the script and we read sections of it outloud. We studied other books and bios of other WWII people along with reading the Scarlett and the Black.

Obviously, it stuck with me all these years!

Junior high... ok, I'm definitely in the older half of those of us in the Hive.  ;)

For anyone curious, the movie came out on TV (made for TV movie) in 1983.

I had never heard of the movie before.  If/when it'd been suggested in threads I glossed over it.  Youngest son picked it off a list Netflix thought we might enjoy.  Netflix was correct with their assessment!

It's tempting to get a copy to add to my "use at school" collection, but on the days where we need movies, kids prefer more lighthearted fare.  I'll have to think about it.

I thought this thread was going to be about the French novel Le Rouge et le Noir. I wonder if the film is in some way a modern adaptation? I haven't seen it but am intrigued.

ETA I looked up the movie and it seems to have no relation to the French novel but is based on the book The Scarlett Pimpernel of the Vatican. Thanks for sharing, this looks very good!

Oh! LOVE this movie!

It is my shining example of redeeming grace. Really, it has the best ending EVER. Gave me so much hope. (And I mean the VERY ending, iykwim.)

I definitely catch what you mean!  And I agree.  If I ever have a class that could watch the whole thing, I'd definitely use it, but our classes are shorter than the movie, so it would take at least part of two days.  And they would have to be movie days.  Getting two of those in a row usually only happens at Keystone testing time (for those not taking the tests).  I tend to be working giving tests on those days.

I missed it when it came out (1983?  Plebes didn't get to watch TV).  

It's one of my favorites with a couple of my favorite actors:  Gregory Peck and Christopher Plummer.

I have no excuse as to why I missed it other than I didn't watch all that much TV growing up - period.  1983 was my "Florida" year though - the year I spent with my grandma.  I watched more TV that year than any other, so who knows?

I regret not knowing about the movie when all three of my guys were still homeschooling.  It'd have fit in nicely with WWII.

Of course, it's also just a good movie relating a hero of the times.  I love those whether I'm still homeschooling or not.

We just saw it this weekend for the first time! I thought it was great and the kids watched too (10yo). they were familiar with the history, and the violence was war related, which I guess I'm more okay with my kids seeing than random or bullying violence. I didn't think it was over the top since it was not trying to be gory or bloody; that wasn't the point of the movie, just an occasional aside. Loved that it was based on a true story.

We just saw it this weekend for the first time! I thought it was great and the kids watched too (10yo). they were familiar with the history, and the violence was war related, which I guess I'm more okay with my kids seeing than random or bullying violence. I didn't think it was over the top since it was not trying to be gory or bloody; that wasn't the point of the movie, just an occasional aside. Loved that it was based on a true story.

I agree regarding the violence - killing is in it, but not much gore - esp compared to many movies now.  It would have been fine for my kids when they were younger, but mine were always ok with such things.  I think my youngest was 8 - 10 when we watched Hotel Rwanda (prior to Paul Rusesabagina coming to speak at my ps - we took the kids and wanted them to know the story first).

But my caution is there for those who have sensitive kids or want to delay exposure to military violence.