Menu

Nutrition - Homemade Oatmeal Raisin Cookies vs. Commercial Granola Bars

Denise in Florida

My husband has a fairly long commute and likes to eat breakfast on the drive.  Usually cut up apples, slices of cheese, chopped veggies or hard boiled eggs.

Every now and then we get into buying granola bars. Not the super sweet General Mills stuff but the Kashi or Luna bar type.

Even the 'betterish' kind have lots of junk in them so this week I baked a batch of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for him to take. I used good quality oatmeal and raisins, brown sugar, egg and butter (not margarine).  I think, even if they are cookies they are healthier than the granola bars. He thinks cookie = too much sugar. 

I will probably make homemade granola bars next, I found several recipes to try. 

In the meantime, fresh homemade cookie :drool:  or nasty boxed commercial granola bar :glare: ?  What does the hive say?  

The sugar content in most of the commercial bars is quite high, so I doubt your homemade cookies are any worse in that regard. The sodium content is often high in the commercial bars, as well.

Tell your dh to appreciate all of your hard work or you'll start sending him off to work with Pop-Tarts, while you save the cookies for yourself! :)

hive cannot beat empirical evidence. 

Look at the nutritional info on the packaged product.

Run your recipe through one of the calorie/nutritional analysis websites.

Compare calories, fat (saturated, unsaturated, trans & cholesterol), sugar, fiber  per serving.  

then you can argue about whether it's better to have more sugar or more fats. Your cookies have saturated fats & cholesterol - something that  a Luna bar doesn't have for example...

hive cannot beat empirical evidence.

Look at the nutritional info on the packaged product.

Run your recipe through one of the calorie/nutritional analysis websites.

Compare calories, fat (saturated, unsaturated, trans & cholesterol), sugar, fiber per serving.

then you can argue about whether it's better to have more sugar or more fats. Your cookies have saturated fats & cholesterol - something that a Luna bar doesn't have for example...

Or, to simplify the process, she can send the homemade cookies to me and I can do a "scientific" study on them.

I have very advanced taste buds. :D

Homemade cookies...absolutely.  You could reduce the sugar by using mashed bananas or applesauce.  You could up the fiber by adding nuts or ground flax seeds.  Also consider Hi-Maize Flour from King Arthur.  

I seem to remember a relatively easy recipe for peanut butter granola bars that Giada DiLaurentis used.  She uses 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup of honey for 24 (small) bars.  I'm assuming most cookie recipes would have about double the sweetener.