Menu

Why does iced tea go "off"?

Ginevra

Please solve this mystery for me. Why does my pitcher of iced tea sometimes last several days in the fridge with no problem, yet other times, the tea goes "off" in two or three days. Like it has a funky tang to it that makes me dump the whole thing, scrub the pitcher like I'm preparing it for final rest, and make a whole fresh pitcher-full?

Do you always steep the tea for the same amount of time?

Interesting. No, I don't. I throw it in there and let it steep for a while. Sometimes I pot it up sooner, other times i let it steep a long while.

And isn't that such an ugly word? It's perfect for what it describes. "Mold" Mooooooollld. elch :ack2:

Yes. I was out in the garage, talking to DH while, right in the middle of our conversation, I abruptly said, "What is that on the wall by the ceiling??? Is that MOLD?" He says, "Yeah, I think so. It's been there since the summer.

Gak.

I think it's either mold or otherwise starting to ferment.  That's why it goes off after 6 hours on the counter on a hot day, 18 hours in the winter, and who knows how long in the fridge (it always seems faster to me when there are also old vegetables or berries in there, which makes me think mold).

Interesting. No, I don't. I throw it in there and let it steep for a while. Sometimes I pot it up sooner, other times i let it steep a long while.

Here's why I asked:

I'm picky about how long I steep hot tea...if steeped too long it tastes bitter to me.

Maybe what causes the bitterness in hot tea would eventually cause an off taste in the iced tea. I'm guessing iced tea doesn't have the same immediate bitterness issues because of temperature and if it's sweetened.

Just a guess!