Menu

Anyone flown internationally recently?

My in-laws ignored the liquids in small containers and all put into one ziploc rule and got in trouble while traveling (they just had it all confiscated).

And taking off your shoes and sometimes your belt can be a pain. I wished I had thought of having my younger child (who doesn't tie shoes well) wear slip-on shoes or at least velcro!

And I got our luggage flagged for extra scrutiny (probably for drugs) by having a baggie of sand in there! (A geologist on staff at the Woodland Park Zoo had asked us to bring back some Philippine sand made out of coral).

I was surprised to see personal DVD player/game laptops on the back of the seats on over-seas flights! I usually don't let my kids do much of that but it really did occupy them.

Oh and they want you to come earlier than they used to (2 hours ahead I think for an over-seas flight).

This past summer I traveled to Uganda, Africa and there were some 'new to me' restrictions.

Make sure ALL liquids are in a quart-size baggie. PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS.

If you place electronics in your checked baggage make sure they are easy to access (I found out the hard way).

WEIGH your baggage. As soon as you get to the airport have them weigh your baggage that will be checked. If you go over even by a tiny amount the fees start around $150!

Find out your particular airline's carry-on restrictions. Many international flights severely limit carry on size--and many 'traditional' carry-ons are too big.

Show up early and be patient.

Bring snaks/food--some of the meals served may not be edible...DO NOT bring any drinks with you to the airport--security will take ALL of them away. You CAN purchase EXPENSIVE drinks once you are past security--but only get enough for your flight. If you need to change planes in a different country they will most likely NOT allow the drinks on the next flight...a bottle of water in Amsterdam was about $11 dollars American...

Yes--Mexico & Canada, & dh flew to Mexico and later Europe.

The liquids in the sealed bags that go in your carryon must be SMALL--there are size restrictions. You may not take a water bottle through the security, but may spend a small fortune on one after the security and then take it on the plane.

Something you may wish to check is FOOD. We flew to Vancouver via Chicago and there were NO meals given. Just pretzels and drinks. We had to buy food at the airport for a small fortune (compared to what we got). If you're planning to fly overseas, that may be different, and airlines may vary.

ONE NEW POINT--at least some airlines are now charging for any checked baggage.

Be sure your passports are up to date, as they scan it at the airports as well as at customs. In Vancouver we checked in by scanning our passports, with the main ticket holder scanning first. The computer then verified the flight by my name. Scary, eh?

Also, if you travel with your dc but without your dh, take a notarized letter from your dh giving you permission to take your dc out of the country. Not that I was asked to produce mine, but it has happened that people have needed it. If you're all travelling together, shouldn't be needed.

The definition of liquids varies from airport to airport. My toothpaste got confiscated in Paris, and my dd's chapstick was questioned in detail. Go figure.

Also, not to scare you but I've heard of many more overseas flights being cancelled or changed at the last minute. My sister returned to Kenya a few weeks ago after our nephew's wedding, only to find out at the airport that her flight had been cancelled. The good news is she and my niece got bumped to business class on their overnight/overseas flight :) Still you might want to check with your airline the day before your flights.

I was surprised to see personal DVD player/game laptops on the back of the seats on over-seas flights! I usually don't let my kids do much of that but it really did occupy them.

This has been standard for transatlantic flights for years, but don't count on it.

Our return flight in July, was on a small (one aisle) plane without them, probably older than me, lots of stuff falling apart, overhead compartment stuck a lot, and little screens overhead in the aisle. The staff acted like we were imposing on them by our very existence (and I didn't even have any babies with me.)

I felt like I had paid for a tour bus and a school bus showed up!

They do still provide food on transatlantic flights, even though their In Flight magazine said they didn't and had prices for everything. It was nasty.

Oh and this was Northwest.

The flight over (codeshare airplane) was a whole different story. Newer plane, two aisles, TV/game consoles, lots of bathrooms (even a handicapped bathroom!), choices of movies, the headphones weren't broken (and neither was anything else), staff was friendly and professional, food was edible.

I wish you luck.

We flew to Japan in July. You may carry liquids in your carry-on but they must be in containers 3oz size or smaller and they must all fit in a 1 quart/liter ziploc bag. One bag per person as well. All other liquids (shampoos, etc.) should be put in ziploc bags inside your checked baggage. There is not a size restriction for liquids going in checked baggage. You may want to check this website for more info:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Check with the airline website to see if they have further restrictions. I believe most are the same as the FAAs.

HTH

We flew through Europe in February and learned in London, where we had to switch airports and flights, that each European country has its own carry on rules. We had a backpack and a small suitcase, a purse, camera bag, and two small kids bags. Each item was counted as a carry on, and the suitcase was a no go. So in our process we had to condense to one bag each. They were kind and saw our situation and checked our small suitcase for us at no charge, but I think they were being nice. We had to condense the camera bag into the backpack.

Next time I fly I will only have a small carry one such as a purse or small backpack. You may want to check the rules depending on which country you are flying to and/or through.

The liquids is for ALL flights. Period. We lost a hair gel, shampoo and toothpaste. We flew from Cincinnati to Wyoming. I did get my protein drink through security. I told them the bare facts, but using medical terminology. I am a Bariatric Patient and this is a necessary dietary supplement. They told me they had to (insert proper word meaning check) it. I said, fine. I HAVE to drink it every day, which is true. I just couldn't guzzle it by 6 AM. heck, I can't do ANYTHING by 6 AM. DH was practically leading me through the airport:001_huh:

Thanks for your replies! I'm surprised by some of the restrictions you mentioned b/c we haven't encountered them in flying over there every two years. The main thing was lack of water; I hate that. We had water bottles confiscated at Heathrow security.

I have a question about this liquids in Ziploc bags deal. Are you saying the liquids are actually supposed to be poured out of their container and into the bag? That's pretty inconvenient! Although come to think of it I don't know that we ever carry on liquids on anyway. Maybe that's why we haven't had issues in the past. I tend to keep our carry-on items to a minimum: reading material, a few small toys for the littles, and an extra change of clothing. Seems like anything else has the potential to create problems.

Thanks for your help!

I have a question about this liquids in Ziploc bags deal. Are you saying the liquids are actually supposed to be poured out of their container and into the bag?
No, you have to get travel size and put the bottle in the baggie.

I don't bring "liquids" either (except when I used to bring maple syrup but I had to give that up). It's their definition of "liquid" that causes trouble, which is why they sometimes argue about chapstick, stick deodorant, etc!

No, you have to get travel size and put the bottle in the baggie.

So the deal is to put travel-sized containers into the Ziploc. Got it. I thought at first y'all were saying people were supposed to actually pour the liquid into the baggie.:tongue_smilie:

Some of these restrictions are just...I vaguely recall someone here (or maybe not here?) saying she had her contac case (with her contacs & lenses in there) confiscated!

So the deal is to put travel-sized containers into the Ziploc. Got it. I thought at first y'all were saying people were supposed to actually pour the liquid into the baggie.:tongue_smilie:

Some of these restrictions are just...I vaguely recall someone here (or maybe not here?) saying she had her contac case (with her contacs & lenses in there) confiscated!

If the original containers are 3oz size or less, you can just put them in the bag. For instance, I had some lotions that were in 3oz containers, so I did not need to put them in the travel containers. I just put them inside the ziploc bag. And you can put as many items in the bag as will fit.

HTH

We flew through Europe in February and learned in London, where we had to switch airports and flights, that each European country has its own carry on rules. We had a backpack and a small suitcase, a purse, camera bag, and two small kids bags. Each item was counted as a carry on, and the suitcase was a no go. So in our process we had to condense to one bag each. They were kind and saw our situation and checked our small suitcase for us at no charge, but I think they were being nice. We had to condense the camera bag into the backpack.

What country/ airline was this?

I have had to gate check "carry-on" luggage that was too small for the plane (but still within the states limits), on European commuter flights (ie. 40 seats), but have never run into this problem.

...Although come to think of it I don't know that we ever carry on liquids on anyway. Maybe that's why we haven't had issues in the past. ...

Yeah, this restriction is for all flights -- domestic and international. Each person may carry on *one* quart-sized zippered bag with individual containers of liquid up to 3oz each. Dh deals with this because he often doesn't check luggage at all...

For water bottles, you can take empty ones and fill them at water fountains past security.

Shoes and belts should be easy to remove (and replace) to place in security bins. Electronics will have to be pulled out of carry-on bags and placed in their own separate security bins. Be prepared to be pulled aside and searched -- they do it not only to those who are flagged (and some are flagged at random), but also to random non-flagged passengers, even those traveling with small children.

I can't recall much besides the liquids stuff that should be new, if you've travelled most recently two years ago. As for snacks, well, keep in mind that some security agents may consider hummus or yogurt, things like that, to be "liquids". Depending on the individual airport, security lines can be *painfully* long...

ETA: Oh, and seconding the poster who suggested you check with your airline to see how many checked bags are allowed and the weights allowed. My family packs light, so this hasn't been an issue for us, but many airlines have reduced the total number of checked items allowed and they are much stricter than they used to be about baggage weight.

My mother-in-law wants me to bring her some orzo. This is ridiculous, imo, because orzo is an Italian pasta that is no doubt available in Switzerland. Nonetheless, she, her friend, and my sister-in-law say it's not at the grocery, they'd have to go to a specialty shop to find it ~ so it's easier (for them) for me to bring it over.:) (That's a fake smile, btw.:tongue_smilie:) So here I am taking over five children & all their assorted stuff and I must rememember the ten pounds of orzo. Whatever.

I'm trying to decide how to transport this orzo. Just because I have nothing else to do, ya know. Ahem. Hans thinks I should put it in a plastic container and into a suitcase and it won't be a problem. I've many times had food in checked baggage but it's been in the original packaging. I don't like the idea of having loose orzo (I have to buy it as a bulk food item) in a container in my bag. I worry it's going to raise red flags or something. Part of me wants to just not bring it, but his mom has made a special point of mentioning this bleepity-bleep orzo the past three times she's called.

What do you think?

re: the orzo... Can you not leave it in the original bags, *and* pack those in a plastic container? I think removing it from the original bags really *might* be an issue (depending, as always, on the agent who happens across your luggage).

And then, of course, be careful that that extra 10lbs doesn't put that particular bag over your weight limit. (Depending on how you pack, you might need to distribute it between 2 bags.)

re: the orzo... Can you not leave it in the original bags, *and* pack those in a plastic container? I think removing it from the original bags really *might* be an issue (depending, as always, on the agent who happens across your luggage).

And then, of course, be careful that that extra 10lbs doesn't put that particular bag over your weight limit. (Depending on how you pack, you might need to distribute it between 2 bags.)

I agree. Having it loose in the container may send up a red flag to someone, and then they may poke around in it to make sure you're not hiding something. I know it sounds crazy, but it's possible.

Yeah, this restriction is for all flights -- domestic and international. Each person may carry on *one* quart-sized zippered bag with individual containers of liquid up to 3oz each. Dh deals with this because he often doesn't check luggage at all...

Yeah, when I used to regularly travel alone I was always so happy not to check bags. So convenient! But the past two times I flew alone I opted to just carry on a tote and check a small bag. Seemed easier than dealing with the various carry-on restrictions ~ but then you have the potential of lost luggage, etc.

For water bottles, you can take empty ones and fill them at water fountains past security.

Do they have to be clear, plastic bottles? I haven't worried about taking anything to drink before but on the tail-end of this UTI, I want to make sure I stay hydrated. I wonder if I can take our own empty containers (SIGG bottles, for example) and fill them with water past security? Whaddya think?

As for snacks, well, keep in mind that some security agents may consider hummus or yogurt, things like that, to be "liquids".

Yeah, I'm just going to stick with trail mix, energy squares, and apples.

My family packs light, so this hasn't been an issue for us, but many airlines have reduced the total number of checked items allowed and they are much stricter than they used to be about baggage weight.

I'm not too concerned about this because we have seven ticketed passengers, so that does allow for a good bit of freedom as far as checked luggage.

Yeah, that's my concern. I mentioned I have to buy the orzo from the bulk foods section, so there actually is no originally packaging. If it were, say, Lundberg rice in its original bag, I'd not be concerned. But just a bunch of unidentified "stuff" in a plastic bin...I'm not keen on it.

We haven't flown overseas in a couple of years. I know the standard run-down, and of course some things vary from one airline and airport to the next. Just checking, though, to see if anyone has run into unusual restrictions of late. Thanks!

I found our trip to Belgium to be much easier and less of a hassle than recent domestic trips. I didn't have to pull out identification every turn and security was friendly and fast. We flew out of Dulles (DC), through Madrid, into Brussels. It was one of the smoothest trips I have had in recent years.

Do they have to be clear, plastic bottles? I haven't worried about taking anything to drink before but on the tail-end of this UTI, I want to make sure I stay hydrated. I wonder if I can take our own empty containers (SIGG bottles, for example) and fill them with water past security? Whaddya think?

That should be no problem at all. They should be *completely* empty when you go through security (plan to take the tops off to demonstrate). Dh has gone through with an (empty) stainless steel bottle a couple of times. Once you're past security, filling it from a water fountain is totally acceptable. It's not the bottles they object to (clear plastic water bottles -- even if sealed -- aren't allowed either), but the liquids being brought through security.

My mother-in-law wants me to bring her some orzo. This is ridiculous, imo, because orzo is an Italian pasta that is no doubt available in Switzerland. Nonetheless, she, her friend, and my sister-in-law say it's not at the grocery, they'd have to go to a specialty shop to find it ~ so it's easier (for them) for me to bring it over.:) (That's a fake smile, btw.:tongue_smilie:) So here I am taking over five children & all their assorted stuff and I must rememember the ten pounds of orzo. Whatever.
Why don't you just go shopping there? While she baby-sits? Specialty shops are fun too. Maybe even in the city? Or a side trip to Tuscany? You could take the whole day! :auto:

I'm sure it would be much more fun for both of you that way.:001_smile:

I'm not sure you can bring re-packaged food into CH. I know you couldn't bring it into the States.

Don't forget to weigh your luggage (with the 10 lbs of orzo) they are charging $100 for each overweight bag these days, even if you have brought 4 more.

Yeah, that's my concern. I mentioned I have to buy the orzo from the bulk foods section, so there actually is no originally packaging. If it were, say, Lundberg rice in its original bag, I'd not be concerned. But just a bunch of unidentified "stuff" in a plastic bin...I'm not keen on it.

Sorry, I missed that it was bulk. If you can't buy it pre-packaged (and sealed) for this trip, I wouldn't do it. Tell your MIL that you're sorry, but due to all the new security measures, you can't bring large quantities of food.

But, frustrating as MIL's can be, it might be worth it to go out of your way and buy prepackaged stuff for her.

Why don't you just go shopping there?

Yes, I plan to look for it over there but I'm not going to go all over creation looking for it, kwim? The thing is, when she was here last year, she took a couple of pounds of orzo back to CH and it proved to be no problem. And it may very well prove to be the same for us but I'm feeling kinda iffy about it.

But, frustrating as MIL's can be, it might be worth it to go out of your way and buy prepackaged stuff for her.

Yes, I'd do that if it were an option available to me. The reality is that orzo isn't widely available. I know of only two stores around here that sell it and it's sold in bulk at both places. I think I'm just going to have to disappoint her and then when I'm in Switzerland I'll keep an eye for it.

We flew to China a couple months ago. The flight there was fine - we had our liquids in a ziplock and they were all the right size, etc. - no problems.

The way back, however, was another story. The girl at the security checkpoint told us that for US flights we were not allowed to have ANY liquids in our carry-on luggage. Period. They confiscated complete bags of cosmetics from some very upset teenage girls. They then searched my entire bag after it went through the x-ray, uncovering a minuscule tube of lip gloss and confiscating that too.

I think that a lot of countries are confused about the U.S. carry-on restrictions and they might end up being more restrictive than they need to be. The safest thing to do would be to put all of your liquids in your checked baggage on the way home so you don't have to worry about it.

I agree that it doesn't matter what kind of container you use for your water, as long as it is empty. We have sippy cups for our girls that we bring with us. We dump the water in the bathroom before we go through security and then buy more to refill them once we are through.

I hope you have a great trip and everything goes smoothly!!

Actually, come to think of it, in Zurich in July, they checked nothing! I had forgotten. (It was so much nicer than the return, where we waited in line for about an hour.)

I went through the "Nothing to Declare" side and it wasn't even manned.

So, I guess if you can check it, you should be able to bring it.

I'm a bit slow today - it has taken me hours to remember this, and it's probably the most important tidbit about the orzo yet.

Actually, come to think of it, in Zurich in July, they checked nothing! I had forgotten. (It was so much nicer than the return, where we waited in line for about an hour.)

I went through the "Nothing to Declare" side and it wasn't even manned.

So, I guess if you can check it, you should be able to bring it.

In my experience, it's better to assume you might be checked. Most of my border travel has been US/Can (some Europe/UK, some Mexico), but things can happen. I've been pulled out and questioned at random before, have had my suitcases searched (way back in the 1970s/1980s), etc.