Menu

BA 3A and using a compass?

MotherGoose

Hi

I've started BA 3A with my 8 yo.  We are on one of the first lessons, about isosoles, (spelling) equilateral, and scalene triangles.  We were marking off the lengths on a popsicle stick to tell the length of the line segments because neither of us could eyeball it.  It was ridiculous.  Then I remembered the compass, which I used in maybe 9th grade geometry??  So we used it to measure the line segments and it's working great.  I understand why you couldn't give compasses to a classroom of 3rd graders, but it's fine for her.  What do other people do about those lessons?  

Hi

I've started BA 3A with my 8 yo.  We are on one of the first lessons, about isosoles, (spelling) equilateral, and scalene triangles.  We were marking off the lengths on a popsicle stick to tell the length of the line segments because neither of us could eyeball it.  It was ridiculous.  Then I remembered the compass, which I used in maybe 9th grade geometry??  So we used it to measure the line segments and it's working great.  I understand why you couldn't give compasses to a classroom of 3rd graders, but it's fine for her.  What do other people do about those lessons?  

Why couldn't one give compasses to a classroom of 3rd graders?

I just imagine a bunch of little boys poking each other with the points. :)  I don't know, maybe I did get one in 3rd grade, don't remember.  

They make ones with very dull points.  I've got really nice ones with points and some that are duller than a pencil. 

I actually don't recall ever using a compass in school.

Why couldn't one give compasses to a classroom of 3rd graders?

3rd graders still get meltdowns and my older stab the cardboard of his notebook with the compass.

Even the scissors in the PS classrooms are kept away when not in use.

ETA:

I had the Oxford compass set in elementary school.

I seem to recall we pulled out C-rods and made our own triangles from the sides for that lesson, but I can't remember exactly what the point was... 

We too used Cuisenaire rods to make the different kinds of triangles. And we broke some wooden chopsticks to different lengths to try to make triangles as well.

The compasses we have are left over from when dh and I were in school and they have very sharp points :)  I remember we were instructed to put an eraser on the ends to keep them safe.  We did make triangles with toothpicks, but there are several pages of problems where you must tell the what sort of triangles they are and must tell the differences in lengths of sides.  I loved geometry, maybe that's why I remember it so well.  I keep telling dd that that's a 90 degree angle and must correct myself. But again I know I wasn't doing this in 3rd grade...

They make ones with very dull points. I've got really nice ones with points and some that are duller than a pencil.

I actually don't recall ever using a compass in school.

We had them from about standard 4 (about 5th grade). Yes the boys did use them as spears occasionally. We also used to play a game where you threw the compass beside someones foot into the wood floor and they had to move there foot out to there - it ended when someone couldn't stretch tgeir legs any further apart or got their foot hit.