Menu

Getting back into classics

LaughingCat

I read lots of classics as a kid - but have realized lately that disappeared sometime in early adulthood.  With the start of the new year, I was thinking that might be a good New Years Resolution -- If you were going to start reading classics as an adult what would you start with?  (I know there must be threads on this but I can't seem to find them)

I read lots of classics as a kid - but have realized lately that disappeared sometime in early adulthood.  With the start of the new year, I was thinking that might be a good New Years Resolution -- If you were going to start reading classics as an adult what would you start with?  (I know there must be threads on this but I can't seem to find them)

I'd start with SWB's The Well Educated Mind, as a "spine", and go from there.

I hit this a few years back. I was doing well getting back to something more substantial than Hop on Pop but illness over the last 18 months has taken its toll.

What I did previously, and plan to do again this year, is to start with a book I loved as a child. Last time I chose Anne of Green Gables. We even used the audiobook for a read aloud and I was able to share it with my children. There is something absolutely delightful in sharing a book you love and seeing even one of your children connect with it as well.

The books I loved I have mostly re-read over the years - but worth it to consider re-reading ones I had read and have neutral to good memories of.  Plus I already own a good number of those for the kids lol!  I guess I was thinking that I needed to branch out a bit.

I also put WEM on hold at the library - but I have gotten it out before so that's not really the advice I was hoping for :001_unsure:   Perhaps it will be different since the spark to do something is already there this time.

Forget-me-not, that thread just continues the same overwhelmed feeling I already felt  - there are just so many classics out there. So where to begin?

ETA: I guess another way to ask would be - if someone might only read one classic,  what classic would you recommend?

Interestingly, I am in much the same boat as you, with a real desire to improve my reading material!!

So, I have done two things: 

I am reading an agreed-upon book with some friends and we will discus it.  (The Iliad)

I am reading something from my bookshelf - it's there, it's cheap and I'm going to feel REALLY virtuous after I finish reading it!   (Persuasion by Jane Austen, which I haven't read yet, since I need an antidote to all the physical mayhem in The Iliad!!)

Anne