Menu

Personal Trainer question

Annie G

So dh and I both had sessions with personal trainers, and his was MUCH different than mine. What I'm asking here is whether I should complain to the gym about mine or did dh just receive super service and mine is typical?

Trainer started by dropping chewing gum out of his mouth onto my paperwork. Then his phone kept buzzing and he picked it up and asked me if I am smart ( the paperwork included my job, which is a math tutor, so I thought he was talking about that). Nope. He was playing a trivia game on his phone and wanted me to help him answer the question.  

I have really bad knees and I am cautious with them. He started the session asking me to do 45 seconds of squats. Told him it was very hard on my knees, but he just told me the timer is going. So I did them, and told him it was painful on my knees. The next THREE things he did were items that were difficult on my knees, and I told him each time, though I did do the exercises. Before we began I was very clear that I wanted help with a few areas- and knees and thighs were NOT on that list. 

The above was done in a room dedicated to private sessions, though we're allowed to use it when it's unoccupied. Someone came in and he told her it's ok to be there while we were. He helped her with her form on one thing she was doing.

When we left that room, he put me on a machine in the circuit area and said he'd be back. He walked over where two women were, took their picture, chatted them up, then came back to show me the picture. (The gym has a strict policy of no photos or videos allowed)  After that, he put me on a treadmill for five minutes to warm up. (Really? I wasn't warmed up?) While I did that, he went back to flirt with the girls. 

We did a few other exercises that I specifically asked him to show me, and he had me do three sets of one of them. When I was done, I got up, (he had walked away and came back when I got up) and he asked me if I was done. I assumed he meant with the sets, and I said yes. He mumbled that if I ever want to schedule a trainer to ask for him, and he wandered away. 

It's over 48 hours later and my knees still hurt so bad that getting myself into and out of chairs (and more importantly, toilet!) is difficult.  My upper legs also hurt quite a bit. I'm a cyclist and can ride 25 miles without my thighs aching. 

I want a workout, I don't mind being sore, but this feels way beyond typical soreness. I made it clear I was a beginner at this gym and my only experience was to cycle, treadmill, and do some very light weights. 

Dh had an excellent session - the trainer helped him set goals, wrote down the workout routine they came up with, and he listened to dh and was attentive.  He took measurements and explained what they meant.  His session also lasted 30 minutes longer. 

So...am I being too picky? Tell me- I can take it!

Complain. Get a new trainer with an extra session to make up for this assclown's pointless time, or get your money back and start going to a different gym. You don't want to be working with this one. He is useless and will always be more focused on picking up chicks than on doing his job. 

You should complain. My trainer substitutes exercises for me whenever I say something hurts. And many times substitutes when I just find some things more interesting. I think rowing is more fun than the elliptical and the treadmill is really hard on my knees so we don't use that at all.

Complain.

While I'm dying to point out that *proper* squats, built up over time, have almost completely eliminated my knee pain, the guy you're dealing with is a jackass.

That's why I humored him at first- I know that if I can ease into them and get some guidance to do them correctly, then my knees should improve.  But the first 5 things he showed me involved squats and that is WAY too many for a beginner.  When I walk, the bone on bone grinding in my knees can be heard.  (Which is why I'm so cautious!)

I love the gym otherwise. The only other options here are Curves and the Y. Curves is not what I want, the Y isn't open enough. This is an Anytime Fitness and is available 24 hours a day. Other than that, we'd have to drive 40 minutes to the next gym.  But the gym is clean, has great equipment, and I've met several other trainers who would likely be a better fit. 

You should complain and then ask to see your dh's trainer.     OMG, I would have been so stinking livid. 

Livid pretty much sums it up.   I'm going to call in the morning and  set up a time to speak to the owner about it. He's on the premises most every day.  Ds has a session scheduled with the same trainer and he's calling to cancel that and schedule with dh's trainer.  So I fully expect this to get back to the trainer, but I have to care more about how I feel than how this clown feels. 

Thanks, guys. I was really worried I was just being a picky client.