Menu

Would you apply if you had not done what was "recommended"?

Lynn in Caribbean

Well, we thought we were all done....however, dd is considering one more application.

She did not do any subject tests - absolutely refused as she was sick of testing and test prep.  This has ruled out many options for her, which she is regretting.  We were able to use ACT for a couple of schools that asked for "either ACT, OR SAT plus subject tests."

She is considering a school that "recommends" 2 subject tests for homeschoolers.  She has test scores comfortably in their middle range, and some CC classes and accredited online classes to verify her academics.  

In your opinion, is it a waste of money to apply to this one?  I am thinking her application would not make it past the first round - they would most likely say "well, here's a homeschool application with no subject tests" and toss it aside and move on to the next one in their stack.  However, it does say "recommended" as opposed to "required."  What do you think? Worth the app fee?

Depends on the selectivity of the school.

If a highly selective school that rejects 90% of its applicants "recommends" something, I read it as "you better have this or otherwise don't bother.".

If a less selective school that accepts two thirds of its applicants recommends something, I read it as "this will give you an edge, but it's not mandatory".

I agree that it depends on how selective the school is.  For top schools "recommended" typically does indeed mean "required."  In fact, we had one admissions counselor say plainly that "Anytime you see recommended it really means required."  He was referring to his school and other highly selective institutions.  For less selective schools there's probably a lot more flexibility.

My guy (current junior) made it into schools without recommended SAT Subject tests without an issue.  I, as guidance counselor, e-mailed admissions with what he had and asked.  Only Emory refused to budge so he didn't apply to Emory - their loss.  He's doing terrific at his Top 30 school.  Well, I should add that he's a little bit bummed as he just received his second A- in his life.  (Yeah, I know - poor kid!)

He did have 3 DE classes and 2 APs (but only one with a score at admissions time).  He also had a high ACT.

A local homeschooled girl, who had no foreign language, nor a fourth year of math, no subject tests though two were strongly recommended along with the other items, was accepted with very nice scholarships to a university she really wanted to attend, but had not done the research her junior year to make sure she had her ducks in a row. I would imagine that it was based largely on her really neat extra-curriculars, and her essay. She writes a whale of an essay!

We are on the fence with ds for next year. Cornell recommends three years of the same foreign language but he's been studying Icelandic - a language he is passionate about but mostly Old Norse and resources are very, very limited stateside - and we can't find a third credit's worth of materials so he will switch and have a year of Norwegian or Danish. They also expect two subject tests, but I don't see how we can fit them in due to scheduling. None of the area schools proctor Sat II's. We have a 2 hr drive each way and they occur at a VERY bad time during our rocket season. He'd have to give up something that he is passionate about just to sit the exams. As his mum, I can't imagine giving up team captain of a national event in order to sit a couple of tests for a college that only accepts 16% of applicants anyway. In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't seem like a wise plan because he can never get back that year as team captain and every student on the team who has served in this capacity has said it was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Life is too short to let those just slide by in order to "hoop jump". So, he'll apply with what he has and let the chips fall where they may. It might be that they look at something like the study of this odd language - which he speaks quite well, and reads decently really...he's beginning to translate children's books into Icelandic...slow, but steady - and his leadership on the rocket team as more important than a SAT II test.

OP, I'd be inclined to apply and see what happens but with the caveat that your student not get too invested in the idea of going there either. Just see what happens, and don't get upset if she is not accepted.

I agree that it depends on how selective the school is.  For top schools "recommended" typically does indeed mean "required."  In fact, we had one admissions counselor say plainly that "Anytime you see recommended it really means required."  He was referring to his school and other highly selective institutions.  For less selective schools there's probably a lot more flexibility.

Maybe, but that has not been our experience. It depends on the kid and what he/she would bring to the college.

One college admissions book commented that a college will overlook a few holes if the kid has cured cancer. You get the idea....

Earlier I posted that two of my kids were accepted to schools despite lacking one or two "recommended" items. These schools included the University of Chicago and William & Mary, which while certainly not Ivy are not too shabby either.

My kids had a lot of strengths, but their boxes didn't align totally with the college template. The colleges chose to overlook that in favor of their strengths.

If the college wants the kid, the details of whether or not the kid has a fourth year of this or that don't matter.

She is considering a school that "recommends" 2 subject tests for homeschoolers.  She has test scores comfortably in their middle range, and some CC classes and accredited online classes to verify her academics.  

I would try to read between the lines a bit.  If the subject tests aren't recommended at all for non-homeschoolers, it sounds like they are just trying to see external validation of grades.  If you can show that in other ways, say, from DE, outside classes, etc., I would think that the subject tests aren't that mandatory, and go ahead and apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Dd was accepted to a selective school which recommended two subject tests for homeschoolers only. In her case, she had taken them, but her CC and other outside verifications were more impressive then her subject tests (she test poorly), so we *chose* not to send them. Still worked for her. :)  I have made sure each dc has outside verification in each major area before we apply and without relying on subject tests only, so we were covered.

I have made sure each dc has outside verification in each major area before we apply and without relying on subject tests only, so we were covered.

I wonder how many admissions staff still envision homeschooling as being exclusively at home and taught by a parent?  I agree with angela's comment above - as long as you have outside corroboration on your student's level of work I'm not sure how important it is to jump through all the recommended hoops. Especially if it means sacrificing a life experience.