Menu

Chicken leg quarters

saraha

The easiest thing I do with them is sprinkle them generously with salt, pepper and some fun spice blend ( I really like Penzey's Northwoods with chicken), and then bake at 375ºF for an hour or so.  Bake until the juices run clear.  It's really hard to overcook dark meat, so if it takes a little longer, that's okay.

Otherwise, when they are on sale for a great price I will buy up a bunch of them and separate all the drumsticks from the thighs, then freeze them in appropriate packages.  For example, if I cook up just chicken drumsticks for our family, I need to cook up 10.  If I'm doing just thighs, then I only need to have 8 at a time.  

I usually split them into drumsticks and thighs.  Cook one and throw the other in the freezer for another day.

I have used this recipe for quarters:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/bakedchicken/r/r90315f.htm

My family's favorite is this recipe from Budget Bytes:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/honey-spice-chicken-thighs/

I do use more garlic powder then the recipe calls for.  We like garlic.  I usually use more cayenne pepper, too.

Where are they on sale?! (And hey there!) I bake them or fry them sometimes, or use them for chicken fricassee, or chicken soup, or anything else I put chicken in. If I'm using the meat in a different dish I will cook it till it falls off the bone, then use the bones for stock and chop the chicken for my other dish.