Menu

Grammar program to use with whole family during morning time

beth83

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good program to use with everyone?  I am hoping to go slow and repeat several times, so it is okay if it is over their head a little.  My oldest is 2nd grade, so really she will be the only person I am teaching to right now, but then I will fold the others in naturally.  

For that age I would go with The Sentence Family.

MCT Langauge Arts would be good when they are a little older (3rd/4th/5th).

ETA: Grammarland is a vintage book that would be fun too. There are even corresponding worksheets floating around on the internet if you wanted them, but the book by itself would be fun.

I suppose I technically use MCT, but really I'm just using his approach with DS8 and DD5.

DS is strong in grammar, and two years ago we went through all the grammar up through FLL3 and MCT Grammar Island and Sentence Island. I read the books aloud to him when DD was too young to be involved, but then we got into a routine of doing the MCT sentence analysis, and as DD has gotten older, she has started doing the sentence analysis with us. Basically she liked to be part of our school, so one day I started explaining parts of speech to her, and asking her to find the nouns in our sentence, then she would watch while DS and I do all the other parts of speech, parts of the sentence, etc. Now she finds nouns, verbs, adjectives, and prepositions, and watches the rest. While DS and I do the analysis, we discuss it as we go, so she is really learning it as we go along. I have also had her learn the parts of speech definitions I had DS learn, as well as the preposition song.

One of these days I will have to pull out Grammar Island and Sentence Island and read them to her, just so she gets a more complete presentation. But for now, the group sentence analysis works great for us!

I suppose I technically use MCT, but really I'm just using his approach with DS8 and DD5.

DS is strong in grammar, and two years ago we went through all the grammar up through FLL3 and MCT Grammar Island and Sentence Island. I read the books aloud to him when DD was too young to be involved, but then we got into a routine of doing the MCT sentence analysis, and as DD has gotten older, she has started doing the sentence analysis with us. Basically she liked to be part of our school, so one day I started explaining parts of speech to her, and asking her to find the nouns in our sentence, then she would watch while DS and I do all the other parts of speech, parts of the sentence, etc. Now she finds nouns, verbs, adjectives, and prepositions, and watches the rest. While DS and I do the analysis, we discuss it as we go, so she is really learning it as we go along. I have also had her learn the parts of speech definitions I had DS learn, as well as the preposition song.

One of these days I will have to pull out Grammar Island and Sentence Island and read them to her, just so she gets a more complete presentation. But for now, the group sentence analysis works great for us!

Yes!  This is exactly what I want!

So, you started with your DS when he was 6?  Do you still like the combination of both FLL and MCT?

Yes!  This is exactly what I want!

So, you started with your DS when he was 6?  Do you still like the combination of both FLL and MCT?

Yes, when DS was 6 (maybe even a late 5) we started FLL1. He loved "doing school", so we just went along and did it. He caught on to grammar quickly and enjoyed it, so we just plowed on through FLL1, 2, and 3. There is a LOT of repetition is grammar programs, so by FLL3 I felt like there was not enough new material to even bother with FLL4. We did, however, go through MCT Grammar Island and Sentence Island (roughly at the same time we were doing FLL2 and3) simply because I'd heard such good things about it on here, and DS was always hankering for more grammar! MCT was an entertaining presentation of similar things that we were doing in FLL, but the different angle worked really well for us. We started doing sentence analysis (Practice Island) and loved it, though we also added in sentence diagramming (which we think is really fun). We started out doing about 3 sentences per week, but now we usually just do maybe 1-2 per week during morning time.

I now periodically go through a little bit of Rex Barks with DS, but we continue to do the MCT 4-level sentence analysis with diagramming, just using the Rex Barks sentences (or ones I make up, following a Rex Barks sentence pattern). We also began doing Latin, and we do a lot of grammar now through that.

So, yes, I do like the combination of FLL and MCT. That being said, though, now that I have gone through them with DS and *I* have learned it all well, I doubt I will be as formal with DD. I know the material well myself now, so I am able to teach it easily without preparation, and she is learning so much from doing our group sentence analysis (and memorizing definitions, poetry, etc.) that she doesn't really "need" FLL, I think. I will read her the MCT books one of these days, but even most of that she will probably already know by the time we get around to reading them, LOL!

I guess my thread was on how to implement the Sentence Family.

Basically, it uses characters to explain the parts of speech. For example, noun is a boy who wears blue, has a blue hat and black shoes. His twin brother is named verb. He wears red etc. I don't remember every detail, so i may be getting the colors wrong. Noun and verb has 2 sisters, adjective and adverb. Adjective likes noun and wears blue shoes or something like that. She's a painter, so maybe she paints in blue? Adverb favors....can you guess? :) she wears red shoes or something like that. The black shoes on noun I believe came from the dad and I believe verb wears colors that the mom wears.

Anyway, it's one big family that is connected to each other by color. I believe the book has one do some drawing. My children are too young for that. Hence, the thread I started.

Hth

Can someone tell me how sentence family works?  Is it just a read aloud?

You read aloud. (You are supposed to "tell the story" but I just read it ... sometimes changing something here or there.) The kids draw pictures of the family while you are reading. (You are supposed to draw them, I think, and then the kids are supposed to draw their own.) I just have the pictures from the book out -- either taped on the wall or on the table with us. Some people build them with Lego figures.

We do one new character a week & practice finding that part of speech in our sentences. We roll the other characters in as we move along, so there is built-in review. There are sometimes diagramming exercises to try (midway through, if you like). It isn't that intimidating the way they explain it. There was a story you could print out & have the kids try changing repetitive nouns into pronouns and possessive pronouns. (Noun loved Noun's mittens. Noun's mittens kept Noun's hands warm. Verb wanted to play a joke on Noun, so Verb took the mittens belonging to Noun. Noun chased Verb ....)

It is very engaging for the kids. If your kids don't like to draw, they can just pay attention & write a sentence or examples of the part of speech at the bottom of a printed page that you give them.