Menu

Does anyone have a Sleep Number bed?

LifeLovePassion

Our air mattress is from the sleep number people, but we got it just as they were transitioning to the whole sleep number thing. Ours just has controls on each side to add air or let some out. Love it! Dh likes a super firm and I like a soft mattress. Also reduces the movement you feel when your spouse is restless in his sleep. I'll replace it with another air mattress when it goes.

We've had ours since 2003. It helps my back. It's also nice to not create a 'hole' from sitting on the bed. I like to sit or lounge on the bed to watch TV or read a book. Previous mattresses developed low places where I sat all the time.

Cons...there are two mattresses in the queen size, one for each side of the bed. Dh and I like to snuggle so we ended up in the middle crevasse from time to time. Solved it by putting a narrowly folded blanket beneath that area to provide good support for the mattresses, plus adding a thick mattress cover.

All in all, I love my Sleep Number bed. It's been well worth the dollars.

I don't remember the model number of our Sleep Number, but we bought it when we got married in 2006 because my husband needs a hard mattress and I need a soft one. We love it and definitely would buy another one, probably will eventually when our daughter is old enough for her mattress to matter. One of the great things about it is that the pieces are independently replaceable, so when we damaged it in a move, we were able to replace just the part we damaged, not the whole thing. Ours has a wireless remote control. I will say that we preferred the old style of pump over the new style, which we had to replace after it sustained damage in a move. (No, the mattress and pump are not that fragile, but movers who are determined to break things do find a way ...)

We have Sleep Number beds and love them. Mid price range with pillow top for us bought in 2001. Still good and has moved in luggage overseas with us....3 duffle bags I think it was. They used to have owner's sales so when the kids transfered to real beds they got them also. Have also moved theirs. Cheap ones but no problems with any of them.

We have really old sheets and a mattress pad for our bed. Still in use. Bought on sale and have been discontinued because I tried to buy more of the pads....waterproof but doesn't feel waterproof. It worked. No idea about the current ones.

I used to have one and I didn't like it.  I think it was an early model, it was super light and it felt a lot like sleeping on an air mattress.  The whole mattress wanted to slip off the bed if you slumped into it wrong, and it sort of had that air mattress bounce to it when someone else sat down.

I have slept in one at a hotel though a couple years ago (I think it was a Hilton Inn).  That one was heavy and pretty comfortable for a hotel bed.   I don't think I'd get one again.  I think our next mattress will be a natural latex one with a wool pad.

We bought two pairs of their sheets when they were on sale. They tend to send lots of email notifications or paper mail about their online sales, so you can wait until you see a good price. I *love* a sheet set we got from them on a close-out—not sure what to call them. They're not flannel, not fleece, not microfiber, but they're super soft, sort of fluffy/fuzzy, and are perfect for cold weather. Warmer than flannel.

I'm wondering if some of the hate relationship are with the lower level beds? My parents tried one at a Radisson that was a level or two below what we have. Lots less padding. They weren't super impressed.

Erica in OR

We gave our 5 y.o. one to DH's brother and wife, and bought new ones for us.  That was 10 years ago.  Periodically we've needed parts, but they were either covered under warranty or discounted.  

I will never buy anything else.  It's the only kind of bed that I'm truly comfortable in.

We bought one two years ago this month. (We had the same mattress for 19 years before.) We love our sleep number bed. My husband had back surgery and it has helped very much. I have sleep issues, and really hate to be away from our mattress now. We bought it on sale during the month of December. A mid range bed. Some of the best money we've spent on ourselves. We visited a local store 2 times and spent time trying to feel the differences between the models. I hope to always have one from now on.

We love ours...it's an old model (2000 or so) and not made anymore. If you can visit a store, I would do that--our store has great service and helps you figure out what you really need. They saved us from ordering a newer bed when we got too old to get by on our lower-end model with no frills. They have great bedding sales, and I like what I've purchased from them in terms of bedding, and my dad finally found a pillow that works as a belly sleeper! My parents have had their bed longer than we have, and they are pretty happy too. I strongly suggest getting a mid-range or higher priced model, or else you will probably have to add padding later in one form or another. We had to add a padded mattress pad (took the pad out and put it inside the bed, use the thick mattress pad). Sleep gets worse as you age more often than not, so you should be prepared to want more "fluff" down the road. :-)

We love being able to take the bed apart when it needs to move, and it's nice to not need box springs. If we ever get new bed frames, I'll try to find some kind of frame like the IKEA one that pops up with storage underneath. I know some people who have built their own bed frame with storage since they don't need box springs.

We have slept on a really comfy memory foam mattress at a friend's house that was dreamy--I have no idea what kind of bed it was (not an air bed).

My parents had one, but my dad loved it and my mother hated it. Now, they have a bed with a Sleep Number on one side and a foam mattress on one side. They have a special topper over it. I don't know if they got the foam specially cut, but they have normal sheets on the whole thing. 

It does seem very polarizing. Not sure why. A lot of my aunts and uncles love their sleep numbers, though. My exhausted aunt actually fell asleep in a Sleep Number show room.