Menu

Boys knitting/sewing/crocheting resource?

lovinmyboys

My 6 and 8yr old sons are really wanting to make things by knitting or sewing (or crocheting, etc). I have never been a craft person, and have no clue how to do any of this. I thought maybe I could get them something for christmas and we could learn together over the winter. I need a kids resource too, because I really don't know the first thing about it. It doesn't have to be just for boys, but something that isn't obviously marketed to girls would be great. Thanks!

(I'm a total non-knitter but my daughter knits.) 

When my daughter was learning to knit, she enjoyed the book

Kids Knitting: Projects for Kids of all Ages by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas

I have an adult nephew who crochets; I couldn't resist telling him about this book because I found the title so entertaining.

Knitting With Balls: A Hands-On Guide to Knitting for the Modern Man by Michael Del Vecchio

Regards,

Kareni

Agree with the Kids Knitting that Kareni recommended. Both boys and girls are featured and the projects are very kid generic--block, hat, scarf, socks, sweater.

I'm not familiar with any kids' crochet books that are as good as the knitting one. The only ones at my local library are a bit girl-centric.

I saw a whole line of blue needles with a guy's face on it called Crochet Dude. It was at JoAnn's. Maybe they had knitting stuff too? They can knit a scarf after learning one stitch. Two needles, some yarn, and lessons on a Youtube for :

1. Casting on

2. Knit stitch

3. Binding Off

Will give them a finished product they can wear. Large needles and chunky yarn make it easier and faster. I 'just' learned to knit in September. I made a scarf my first week. I attempted crochet at the same time, but knitting was easier for me because I don't have to maintain any tension with the yarn in my non-dominant hand.

I was started on bamboo needles so the yarn doesn't slip off too easily.

BTW another thing I forgot. Years ago ds1 decided he wanted to crochet himself a hat. He didn't know how to crochet so I taught him chain and single crochet. Then I chose a simple beanie pattern for him from Ravelry. That particular pattern used a Magic Ring to start so we just looked it up online and learned that together. He learned about increasing and tension. His first attempt had to be ripped out--it was too tight, therefore too small. But he figured it out fairly quickly and his second try worked well. His next project was a blanket. Sadly he never finished and decided crochet really wasn't his thing after all. He did try knitting but didn't like it as much as crochet.

Crochet dude has a youtube channel. It is a good channel, I have learned things from it

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCrochetDude

You can find many videos on how to knit or crochet on youtube. That is how I learned to crochet, IMO books aren't really necessary anymore

There are a lot of great patterns on ravelry.com it is a pattern website for knitting and crochet. Many of the patterns are free.