Menu

Latin options....Henle, Wheelock, something else?

Michael did Gettting Started with Latin last year, and loved it. He hated spanish, so fine, we are sticking with Latin. He did the first 9 weeks of Latin 1 in public school this year, and got an A. He is now home. I'm considering Lukeion live classes for next semester, but not sure we can afford them. That's a maybe. 

For now, I need to figure out what to do to keep him moving forward, and possibly have him ready to join the Lukeion class for Latin 1b in the spring. Chances are, we will continue at home, but not sure. 

Henle Latin with Memoria Press guide

Henle Latin with Kolbe guide

Wheelock Latin with Kolbe guide

something else?

All of those are good options.  Mine did Henle in middle school, and then started over with Wheelock in paid classes.  Henle with either of those guides mentioned is going to be the most straightforward if you are going with self-taught.  Wheelock is tougher to do on your own because the explanations are briefer and the pace is faster.  Henle was written for high school use; Wheelock is a college-level book.

Lukeion is excellent, but is your most demanding option.  You will also need to place at their level mid-year, which might be tough.  One of mine was using Wheelock with a different online school, and was below the cut-off on the placement exam.  Amy and I chatted, and she let him in because it was just a few points, and he had gold medals on the National Latin Exam.  And that worked fine.  He aced each level and the AP exam.

Did you find it difficult to transition form church to classical Latin, or was that not an issue?

All of those are good options.  Mine did Henle in middle school, and then started over with Wheelock in paid classes.  Henle with either of those guides mentioned is going to be the most straightforward if you are going with self-taught.  Wheelock is tougher to do on your own because the explanations are briefer and the pace is faster.  Henle was written for high school use; Wheelock is a college-level book.

Lukeion is excellent, but is your most demanding option.  You will also need to place at their level mid-year, which might be tough.  One of mine was using Wheelock with a different online school, and was below the cut-off on the placement exam.  Amy and I chatted, and she let him in because it was just a few points, and he had gold medals on the National Latin Exam.  And that worked fine.  He aced each level and the AP exam.

Agree that any of those are fine options.

Here is an old thread about comparing Latin programs with some advice from Ester Maria who no longer posts here but who is really knowledgeable (although I didn't always agree with her).

And if you go with Wheelock's, here is a link to a thread with syllabus for Latin I & II.

Ok, another question. Kolbe only does part of Henle book 1 in Latin 1. they finish it and move onto the next book in level 2. I THINK Memoria Press does all of Henle book 1 in the first year? 

Preference?

Never mind. He's bragging about how great he is in Latin, and how quickly he picks it up. So...he can do the whole darned book, lol. Going with Memoria Press. 

Never mind. He's bragging about how great he is in Latin, and how quickly he picks it up. So...he can do the whole darned book, lol. Going with Memoria Press.

MP actually does Henle 1 over two years as Latin 1 and Latin 2. Latin 3 starts Henle 2 (Caesar). It's great if he can do the whole thing in one year, but it would be a challenge. There's a whole lot of case usage memorization and practice in the later units.

MP actually does Henle 1 over two years as Latin 1 and Latin 2. Latin 3 starts Henle 2 (Caesar). It's great if he can do the whole thing in one year, but it would be a challenge. There's a whole lot of case usage memorization and practice in the later units.

Ah, ok. I was confused. Sounds good then. 

Ordering the text, answer key, study guide, quizzes/tests, and grammar book.

Did you find it difficult to transition form church to classical Latin, or was that not an issue?

Not an issue at all.  Obviously it helps to stick with one, but the differences aren't that great IMHO.  

I grew up trilingual (English, German, and Spanish), and even those languages have differences depending on who you are talking to.

My 9th grader currently is taking Henle Latin via live on-line class from Memoria.  She is entranced by the language and by the class! 

I did not take Latin until college, where during the first year, we used the Moreland and Fleischer textbook.  (I loved that book!) 

I have taught from both Cambridge, Ecce Romani!, and Oxford Latin, all of which feature an approach different from Henle or Wheelock.  I'm not going to draw swords against partisans of this, that, or the other language teaching approach.  My experience has been that the various approaches all work well when matched to the learner who will benefit from a particular approach.

The only Latin program to which I took an instant dislike was the "First Form Latin."  (I have a complete set, unused, of the first two years, available to any interested buyer.)

Just curious, what made you dislike FFL?  We are using it here and so far, so good (but we're not that far in yet). 

My 9th grader currently is taking Henle Latin via live on-line class from Memoria.  She is entranced by the language and by the class! 

I did not take Latin until college, where during the first year, we used the Moreland and Fleischer textbook.  (I loved that book!) 

I have taught from both Cambridge, Ecce Romani!, and Oxford Latin, all of which feature an approach different from Henle or Wheelock.  I'm not going to draw swords against partisans of this, that, or the other language teaching approach.  My experience has been that the various approaches all work well when matched to the learner who will benefit from a particular approach.

The only Latin program to which I took an instant dislike was the "First Form Latin."  (I have a complete set, unused, of the first two years, available to any interested buyer.)

Just curious, what made you dislike FFL? We are using it here and so far, so good (but we're not that far in yet).

Probably fine for a young child. The ad copy, however, alleged that the program was sutable for high schoolers.

I would have to look at again, if you need specifics. If it is working well at your house, that is good!

Curricular materials elicit strong subjective reponses, anyway. Think about some of the science and math threads! 😄

If you are considering Lukeion then you would want to use Wheelocks.  They cover the first 9ish chapters (help me please if you remember exactly which chapters) in Latin 1a.  I think you would need to be sure that you had the same grammatical concepts and vocabulary covered in order to be successful in Latin 1b.  The Wheelocks website offers a teacher's guide with answers as well. 

There are lots of free resources, lesson plans, exercises here: http://wheelockslatin.com/wheelocksteacherguide.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find a link that allows you to register for the translation key.  After exchanging a few emails they sent me the key.  Also for free.

If you think there's a good likelyhood to switch to Lukeion halfway through, it's going to be a lot easier if you start with Wheelock.  The order of grammar in Henle is a bit different, and the vocab is a lot different, so switching books is going to be more work than you might think.

I'd love to hear about resources you found useful for Oxford Latin. My 9th grader wants to switch from Spanish to Latin this spring and the online class available to us for free through her hybrid public school program uses Oxford Latin, so that's what we'll be using. I have found some online materials to support it, but some are for the college level text rather than the high school one. Do you happen to know of a site that shows correlations between the two?