Menu

Book suggestions and fun but educational toys, for holiday gifts...

nature girl

I don't think a gift idea post has been started this year, so I thought I'd post one since I'm starting to pre-plan. We don't go all-out for Christmas, but I want to give one gift purely for fun, a good book for read alouds, and then one gift that's somewhat educational (but still fun.) I've got ideas for the fun gift, but any suggestions for something semi-educational? (I'm currently considering Snap Circuits or Magformers, but neither of them feel quite right for us.) Or can you recommend a nice looking book set or hardcover novel worth investing in? (I get 99% of our books from the library, but splurge once a year on something nice for our collection...In previous years I've given nice editions of Wind in the Willows, a Pooh boxed set, and Beatrix Potter...)

What's on your holiday gift list?

Magformers have been a hit around here. I take them when I go somewhere and need for kids to be occupied while the parents talk. Amazon had some great deals around Black Friday- early Dec last year. 

We have GoldieBlox (and the Spinning Machine) put away for DD6. It has mixed reviews online. GoldieBlox are designed to introduce engineering concepts to young girls. It has a book combined with a toy, so it will likely be a hit around here.

For DS 7 (will be 8), we have the Thames and Kosmos Remote Control Machines kit.

As for the rest, I received the Rainbow Resource and Fat Brain Toys catalogs today  :party:

And we should use the library more, but I have been picking up wonderful books from garage sales and we are stocked up for the next 15 years. The only nice set I want at this point is the Chronicles of Narnia and eventually The Hobbit.

Lego's are a huge hit around here right now, so they are on our Christmas list.  In the past we've given dress ups, blocks, magformers, marbles runs, puzzles, crafts and games.  I still haven't 100% decided on this year's gifts, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas. 

Dover's Calla editions look nice, judging by the pictures in their catalogue. Other nice books we've found:

the 100th anniversiary edition of The Wizard of Oz

Robert Ingpen illustrated books - we have Peter Pan and Treasure Island, plus The Dream Keeper

collector's edition of the Chronicles of Narnia (color pictures)

anthologies of favorite characters like Curious George or Madeline

Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales

the rainbow fairy books by Andrew Lang

While not strictly educational, things that encourage exercise and gross motor skills are good for brain and muscle development. DD's wish list includes tumbling mats, a giant hop ball, slackline and stilts. Other things that have been loved are Perplexus, kid's guitar and keyboard, easy science kits, dot-to-dot books, art supplies and logic puzzles.

I keep seeing Marble Run recommended often. Could you help me with some questions?

First, which brand/set is good as a first set? Is it the MindWare brand?

Also, I have no idea if my DS will like it (he has never seen one) so I'm hesitant to buy it. He's four, but his brothers are six and nine and would likely play with it too. Next big question, is this a toy that gets played with often in your house and then put away for a while? Or do you have pieces all over the house? I'm interested in this toy, but I'm hesitant to add anything else that has lots of pieces. Legos have driven me to the edge of sanity! 😋

This year's list includes a ball run for DS (13 months and fascinated with how things work), Duplo and Alex Little Hands craft kits for DD2 (3 1/2), and LEGO and a domino race set for DD1 (6).

As for books, DS is getting some beautiful interactive board books by Sara Gillingham, DD2 is getting a treasury of Leo Lionni stories and ???, and DD1 is getting National Geographic Kids Ultimate Weird But True, the Old Farmer's Almanac for Kids, and the first five Nancy Drew Clue Crew books.

We're also mixing up our advent calendar a bit this year and will be opening up a new family board game each Friday in December. Picks include ...

• Catan Jr.
  • Wits and Wagers Family
  • and one simpler one that my 3-year-old can handle without assistance (maybe Feed the Woozle or Shelby's Snack Shack)

I keep seeing Marble Run recommended often. Could you help me with some questions?

Also, I have no idea if my DS will like it (he has never seen one) so I'm hesitant to buy it. He's four, but his brothers are six and nine and would likely play with it too. Next big question, is this a toy that gets played with often in your house and then put away for a while? Or do you have pieces all over the house? I'm interested in this toy, but I'm hesitant to add anything else that has lots of pieces. Legos have driven me to the edge of sanity! 😋

We have this one and it is awesome and gets tons of use. It was recommended to us here on the forums a few years back. We keep the pieces together in a Rubbermaid container with a lid and they really don't get everywhere.

Middle Girl is getting a wood tabletop easel/ art storage box, and some real art supplies for a change.

Great Girl is getting a *car* (no not one of those Lexuses with a bow on top like in the commercials) and driving lessons from dh. I feel a little faint just typing that. I suppose that one will be educational for us all.

Wee Girl is getting more marble run pieces to make even more elaborate contraptions. That's a toy that was well worth ith, given the continuing appeal for multiple ages.

My kids (6yo boy and 8 yo girl) are each probably getting one of those Spooner boards- b/c I really think they look cool and want to try them! :) and then each a new puzzle, lego, gymnastic rings to hang in the doorway for my son, probably something related to horseback riding for my daughter and some art supplies, books and whatever else looks cool at the local toy/book shop to put in their stockings.

We also went with one of the Quercetti marble runs: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023DENA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's a great starter set and the other Quercetti sets with intermix with it to make larger runs if your kids get into it. We build with it periodically, leave it up for a while, and then eventually it gets taken down and put away. Now that we have multiple sets, I bought a clear plastic boot box from The Container Store to contain all the pieces together. (A boot box is how we store all the Lego that don't belong in specific sets, too.)

Magformers have already been purchased 😀. I am also considering that herb game, Wildcraft. I wish it would go on sale though; price seems a bit steep.

My mom has one for my kids at her house. The kids play with it for a few hours at a time, then it gets put away. If you have hardwood, it would be good to put the outlet portion into a wide flat box or something similar. Kids up to 11 enjoy it at her house. I can't recall the brand.

Quercetti marble runs :)  We ended up wtih about 4 sets, and the boys STILL love to build with them.  We probably got the first when DS1 was 5, and he's 12 now--and it still comes out at least once a month.

/we have cut WAY back on gifts, but I think some things coming this year are:

Extreme dot to dots:  http://www.amazon.com/Mindware-Extreme-Dot-Dots-Animals/dp/1933054913/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1416190150&sr=1-1&keywords=extreme+dot+to+dot

and the game Set:  http://www.amazon.com/Set-Family-Game-Visual-Perception/dp/B00000IV34/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1416190201&sr=1-1&keywords=set+game

The boys are looking through Rainbow Resource and Mindware catalogs.  I want to get them this game: http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-7090-ThinkFun-Knot/dp/B0032UP5R8/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1416190236&sr=1-1&keywords=knot+game but it's more than I want to pay.

B--