Menu

Talk to me about sewing machines...

I have an old(er) Kenmore that I love. I'm contemplating getting a second machine. I got that machine when I first started sewing (14 years ago?) and although it works great, it has some miles on it. I'd like to not wear it out but to get a new one and keep the Kenmore as a second working machine and have it to teach the kids on. I'm not looking for a cheap beginner machine.

I'd like something quieter and smoother. I don't need a million fancy stitches - unless I am enlightened with some good reasons to use them. I quilt and I'd like to get into making bags (of heavier material, i.e. canvas). So, I guess basically a sturdy workhorse, that is maybe a little new and shiny. ;)

I originally had a Brother and hated it - super clunky - so I don't have the most favorable impression of Brother. I've always swooned at the Husqvarna machines, although I'm not sure why. They may be a bit out of the price range, though.

Any suggestions at what to look at?

ETA: Ok, I'm reading that you don't want to sew canvas on home machines, so maybe not that heavy of material...

Well I have sewn some canvas on my Husqvarna Viking.  Just saying.

I sew garments and accessories.  When I decided to replace my very noisy old Singer zig zag from the '70's, I looked at basic machines from several manufacturers.  I did not need computerized stuff.  I am not a quilter.  I too wanted the ability to sew the occasional heavy duty thing. My best friend who is an amazing seamstress swears by Janome.  But I found that my local Janome place did not have the customer service of the store that sold Husqvarnas.  I made a cover for my son's butterfly chair early on, putting my new machine to the test.  It did well.

What I did not look for when machine shopping on this last go around were the knit stitches.  Yowsers! I had no idea that this was a possibility since my old machine only did zig zag. 

If I were you, I would give several machines test drives.  I would not buy until you have been to several locations and then had a cup of tea to digest it all.  Don't be persuaded by razzmatazz you don't need. 

My local Husqvarna rep offers new owner classes and will give free advice. Make sure you like the support people as well as the machine. 

I had a "starter" machine (A 130$ Singer from Walmart) for about 10 years. The tension was never right, it was constantly jamming and it sounded like a lawn mower. Two years ago I got myself a Bernina and I'm so much happier. It's an expensive brand, but I got a simpler model, so it wasn't too insanely priced. I can't believe I struggled so long on such a terrible machine. I love having a reliable, solid sewing machine.

I agree with going to a local ( all of them if you have more than one) and trying out a few machines.  I have a more than 30 year old Pfaff that I dearly love and the thought of shopping for a new machine gives me heart palpitations.  I have even considered buying my machine again  off Ebay I love it that much!  Computer stuff makes my head spin.  I just want a machine that can do what I need it to do.  I will add that I did buy a Baby Lock serger last fall.  Oh my.  I am in love with that thing.  No computer stuff, just thread it and go. 

I will probably look into a Baby lock sewing machine when the time comes. 

Bottom line is you have to have good support for whatever machine you buy, so check out all the competion and go with the shop makes you happiest. 

patternreview.com has reviews on all makes and models if you want to check out a specific machine.

I have a bernina that is almost as old as me. It is a workhorse machine. It is on its second foot pedal. But the machine is probably 40 years old. I love it. It was given toe when my mom upgraded to her Janome that does everything. And then she bought another bernina that does everything.

Most of my quilting friends have Janomes that they love. I think it has a bigger harp area than other brands.

Definitely go test drive some machines.

Do you have a serger?  Because if not, and your old regular machine is doing OK, you might be better off putting your money towards a serger.  The Babylock Imagine is an amazing machine, and worth every penny (if you've got a lot of pennies, that is).  Having a serger would be useful in bag-making, and would make simple garment-making so, so very much faster and more professional.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I did have a nice serger but I ended up selling it a few years back. I had never used it and we needed the money. It was a hand-me-down and also didn't have a manual or any support from the previous owner. ;) I'm not opposed to getting another one, just not sure if I'd use it, although maybe I would. With Christmas/birthday coming up, I think I'll take some time and go look around town at what's out there. Just from looking online this morning, I am really not wanting to go with the computerized machines. Seems like more money/hassle than I need....I kind of am liking the Husqvarna Emerald, though. It actually looks identical to my Kenmore, so I'm interested in seeing that one in person. Very straightforward.

I sew canvas on my old 830 Bernina without a problem.  I heartily recommend investing in an old Bernina, or heck, a new one if you can afford it. Another fabulous machine is the Juki, hmm, I guess they're on the 2010 now (I had a Juki TL98, but that was some years ago).  The Juki will sew anything and not complain. It's also great for quilting. Only thing is it is only straight stitch. But still - great machine.

I have an Husqvarna Classic 100 that my hubby surprised me with from Craigslist. I like it better than the Singer (it was the very first computerized model they every made) it replaced. It is solid( all metal) but it is slow. Check Craigslist the the Viking costy $60 (it was stuck in reverse) plus $90 to get it cleaned, unstuck, and serviced. Over all a good buy.

I quilt also and drool over the Husky Emerald!!

I have a simple Berninia and then a more elaborate, but not top of the line Janome. I much prefer the Janome. It has a larger throat, which is great for quilting. It is much quieter and the thread rarely jams & when it does, it's because of something I did, not because of some random unknown cause. It's very smooth. I bought both machines locally, so I can get them each repaired at their own shops - but I recently discovered the same man works at both shops & it doesn't matter which one I take it to, so I can go for convenience. The Bernina shop had a class to orient people to their new machines, the Janome shop had one on one training in the form of two one hour sessions.