How should I spell my baby's name?

Desert Strawberry

How should we spell Lee-ruh?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Lyra or Lira?

• Lyra
    • Lira
    • Something else

Ivy was our second choice for our dd12, and after we adopted our third child and I suddenly thought I was pregnant (like, a few weeks after we brought home a pre-teen from overseas), Ivy Coraline was the name we chose for the possible baby if it were a girl. (We chose Arlo Thomas for a boy). I wasn't pregnant though. :/

Guest submarines

Interesting!  I read the first post and the answered the poll before looking at any replies.  For me, when I saw both names in the poll, I instantly thought:

"Lyra" = leer-uh

"Lira" = lie-ruh

I voted for Lyra.  Very pretty. 

That's exactly how I'd pronounce them. And I voted for Lyra. It was on our short list for our girls. Love the name!

I like the look of the Y, but agree with others that you will get varying pronunciations, so just go with what you want.

Can we ask the middle name? Lyra sure is pretty! One of my preschool kiddos has a sister with that name (spells with a Y, I think).

Just don't spell it Leera. Too much like leer--which describes a yucky a

Idon't know the middle name yet.

I had no idea it was even a constellation. Would most people know that? Outside the Hive, I mean :lol:

I chose the name after the constellation, the harp, but then discovered I've been mispronouncing it for years. Oops.

I did another poll on pronunciation that yielded a 50-50 split.

So it appears it doesn't really matter how I spell or pronounce it.

I don't care if I have to correct people. Standardized spellings are a thing of the past. 

I don't care if she changes the spelling or pronunciation later. 

I think it's beautiful and I'm thrilled that you're going to be able to use it.

I don't know if we will use it. Obviously not, if it's a boy. I gave D a few suggestions that he predictably hated. He said Lyra was "the least weird" :huh:

He was concerned about the spelling. He's a notoriously bad speller. I told him it was just four letters. He's ok with that. I'm just not sure which four letters it should be.  :leaving: