Menu

Favorite Fun PreK Math?

Slache

I plan to start something slightly more formal for my man after he turns 4. I would like something to make him think, but not anything super challenging. I'm torn between Mathematics Made Meaningful, Mathematical Reasoning B2, or maybe even Building Thinking Skills, which obviously isn't' math, but will still be challenging. He hates math so I'm looking for something more game oriented. The only manipulatives we have are counting bears and and an abacus, or applekiss as he calls it, which he loves as long as I don't ask him to count or add with them  :p.

Thanks.

I'm doing Rightstart Math A with my DC right now, ages 5 and almost 4.  They REALLY enjoy it.  It is basically all manipulative work and games and they don't know they're 'doing school'.  It is pricey, however.  I previously used Singapore (which I like!) but I prefer RS at this young age.

I have heard the Miquon is also hands-on and very good, but I've never actually seen it.

I'm doing Rightstart Math A with my DC right now, ages 5 and almost 4.  They REALLY enjoy it.  It is basically all manipulative work and games and they don't know they're 'doing school'.  It is pricey, however.  I previously used Singapore (which I like!) but I prefer RS at this young age.

I have looked at RightStart and I think it looks fun, but I don't like the price and the idea of using a Japanese style program makes me nervous. It's the complete opposite of how I intent to teach. You have, however, inspired me to look at it again and it does look so darn nifty that I'm thinking about it, so thank you for recommending it.

I have heard the Miquon is also hands-on and very good, but I've never actually seen it.

I was planning on using Miquon in K (though we'll forgo it if we take the RS rout) so I asked the hive about using it in PreK and the answer was a clear no. I believe the phrase "It looks deceptively simple" was used.

I have looked at RightStart and I think it looks fun, but I don't like the price and the idea of using a Japanese style program makes me nervous. It's the complete opposite of how I intent to teach. You have, however, inspired me to look at it again and it does look so darn nifty that I'm thinking about it, so thank you for recommending it.

I was planning on using Miquon in K (though we'll forgo it if we take the RS rout) so I asked the hive about using it in PreK and the answer was a clear no. I believe the phrase "It looks deceptively simple" was used.

I'm using Miquon with my kindergartner, and have been since pre-k. I really think that the answer to this is like anything else... it depends on the kid. 

If your ds wouldn't like Miquon, I wouldn't do Math Made Meaningful since it's all C-rod based.  :confused1:  Though I wouldn't do Miquon at that age, I do think Mathematics Made Meaningful's opening games are great for 4 yo.

You could also use MEP's reception level. It's fine for this age and very gentle and sweet, IMO.

If your ds wouldn't like Miquon, I wouldn't do Math Made Meaningful since it's all C-rod based. :confused1: Though I wouldn't do Miquon at that age, I do think Mathematics Made Meaningful's opening games are great for 4 yo.

You could also use MEP's reception level. It's fine for this age and very gentle and sweet, IMO.

He likes any kind of math manipulatives. The age is the reason we aren't doing it this year. I think Miquon would be fine for a kid who's really into math at a young age, but he's really only interested in reading and writing at this point, so I'm just looking for something fun to add during the day.

I'm leaning towards Mathematical Reasoning or RightStart, but since money is tight I think I know where we're going to wind up.

Is there a reason you're considering a more formal approach? You say you're after something game oriented, so I wonder whether your DS might benefit more from playing games than from a workbook.

My DS is preK, and we use games rather than maths books, with great success. I'm happy to share some of our favourites if you're interested (don't want to seem pushy if you're looking for curricula suggestions).

Is there a reason you're considering a more formal approach? You say you're after something game oriented, so I wonder whether your DS might benefit more from playing games than from a workbook.

By formal I mean to actually sit down and do something everyday and perhaps lay some goals down such as counting to 100, addition and subtraction in base 10, things like that. A workbook such as Mathematical Reasoning would just make it simpler.

My DS is preK, and we use games rather than maths books, with great success. I'm happy to share some of our favourites if you're interested (don't want to seem pushy if you're looking for curricula suggestions).

Yes!! Please do!!

Mathematical Reasoning Beginnings.... LOVE IT! I throw in some math living books a couple times a week. We do most all of it on the couch. Also you might like Hands On Thinking Skills by CTC to go along side it. That uses lots of manipulatives.

I looked at right start at the convention and it was just ..just....too many pieces and too schoolish for me. (Maybe I mean formal and scripted by schoolish.)

I am also using MUS Primer as I like it and the pages are clean and simple. 5 minutes a day on MUS is all we need.

I wish I had bought the Rightstart Games at that age.  I bought it during K, but wished I had bought it for preschool.  There are some fun games for that age and it is something that you would use going forward no matter what curriculum you end up using.

Y'all need to stop recommending the $125 program! How long does A take?

Mathematical Reasoning Beginnings.... LOVE IT! I throw in some math living books a couple times a week. We do most all of it on the couch. Also you might like Hands On Thinking Skills by CTC to go along side it. That uses lots of manipulatives.

I looked at right start at the convention and it was just ..just....too many pieces and too schoolish for me. (Maybe I mean formal and scripted by schoolish.)

I am also using MUS Primer as I like it and the pages are clean and simple. 5 minutes a day on MUS is all we need.

Yay! I think we're going to go with Mathematical Reasoning this year and start RightStart next year. It seems like the best fit for him.

I use just the Right Start Activities for the Al Abacus manual which covers the whole program but is not at all scripted or broken down into lessons. I got that, the entire card games package with games book, the abacus, and teaching clock for $40 on Black Friday.

I also use c rods with education unboxed, math start books from the library, and random printables from the web.

By formal I mean to actually sit down and do something everyday and perhaps lay some goals down such as counting to 100, addition and subtraction in base 10, things like that. A workbook such as Mathematical Reasoning would just make it simpler.

Oh I see. Yep, that's pretty much how we are doing things. :)

For counting to 100, we bounce counted every day for a week or two. He was so enthused by the idea of being able to count so high, I just slipped it in whenever. Sometimes before our bedtime reading, if we hadnt already been through it all in the day. I started him off on the odd numbers, then after a while we swapped.

We also play a lot of snakes and ladders, which has helped with identifying two-digit numbers at a glance. It's been great for counting on, too, and for addition and subtraction on a number line. We just talk as we play, and it all happens organically: "Ooh! You're coming up to a ladder! What do you need to roll to land there?"

I've also been adding scoring systems to our games, using cuisenaire rods. I thought they looked a bit gimmicky, but bought some anyway to try them out, and they've been great. Any game that involves rolling a die (hello, subitising!) lends itself to additional scoring. For example, when we play snakes and ladders, every time a player rolls, they call the number, and recieve a c-rod representing that value. At the end, we group our c-rods into tens, and count them quickly. We have also scored various versions of 4yo scrabble this way.

If I'm not up for a really long, convoluted combination of games, we just play simple games with the c-rods. These usually involve us picking a number we want to "collect", and trading rods in, in order to regroup everything to that value.

Y'all need to stop recommending the $125 program! How long does A take?

Yay! I think we're going to go with Mathematical Reasoning this year and start RightStart next year. It seems like the best fit for him.

We are using rs a for pre k. My older child did mep reception and miquon Orange for pre k. Miquon and RS a are more advanced than mep reception. Between miquon and rs a, I prefer rs a and I intend to use it again for my next child. If you are only using level a, you don't need the huge expensive manipulative package. You can buy the manual used and make your own manipulatives. You just copy from the appendix onto some cardstock. Grab a box of craft sticks from Walmart and use random bits for the rest. We use colored erasers instead of colored tiles, real money instead of plastic, etc. the math mammoth site has a nice example of a diy abacus.

We are using version 1 and break each lesson into 2 days. We do the warmup on both days. We spend about 15 minutes per day. My dd likes the manipulatives but so far she has been underwhelmed by the memory-style games.