Menu

Pattern based guessing in Singapore?

FairProspects

Does anyone else have a whole-to-parts thinker who ends up guessing backwards on the Singapore exercises so they don't have to do calculations?

For example, if the answer to the letter puzzle is "dragonfly" they guess the word, fill in the letters, and then write those answers in the correct problem box so no calculation or practicing of skills is required. I have dyslexics who hate calculations so I can see logically why they do this to get around their weak points. At the same time, they like the letter puzzles because they are more fun than just straight calculations over and over. Suggestions?

Cover the puzzle and you write the answers on another paper, then at the end they get to transfer their answers to the puzzle. My children guess the puzzles early but still do the work, but this is how I would do if guessing the answer impeded their learning for the day.

(Write their answers in the easiest way for them to quickly transfer them to the puzzle at the end, it will differ for different types of puzzles.)

Does anyone else have a whole-to-parts thinker who ends up guessing backwards on the Singapore exercises so they don't have to do calculations?

For example, if the answer to the letter puzzle is "dragonfly" they guess the word, fill in the letters, and then write those answers in the correct problem box so no calculation or practicing of skills is required. I have dyslexics who hate calculations so I can see logically why they do this to get around their weak points. At the same time, they like the letter puzzles because they are more fun than just straight calculations over and over. Suggestions?

Ha! No, but I've always wondered why they didn't. :) Seems smart to me. I agree, cover it up so they can't see the letters yet.