Menu

Simon Basher Science Books - good/bad/okay?

nannyaunt

Not a huge hit here. My kids also found the text dry. I keep thinking I'm not sure who they're for. The text is really detailed in most of them - closer to middle school level for what you might expect a kid to know. But the graphics and the attitude scream elementary as if they're more for 3rd or 4th graders.

But some kids just LOVE them. So I'm going to vote that it really depends on the kid. The information is certainly solid. I'd say get a couple and see if your kids like them. If they're a hit, you'll know to get more and if they're not it's not like you bought a huge set.

Ds owns all of them (ok, not the US presidents one) and LOVES them. We get new ones as soon as they are released (yay for mythology and superstars of history!). Ds remembers a ton of information from them but I can understand them not being a fit for every kid.

We won a full set of these, and while my kids haven't had much opportunity to really dig into them yet, DS8 loves them. I've looked over them myself and love that each topic is a good introduction and in-depth enough to satisfy but offer good branching off points.They also each come with a poster which the kids insist I hang up immediately.

I look forward to getting the Mythology and Superstars of History books.