Menu

A little nervous about starting Russian

Last week, a friend offered quite a few children's Russian language materials to me.  I had no plans to do any foreign language this year, much less Russian.  But I do have a personal interest in learning some Russian since my g-grandparents were from the Russian partition of Poland, and I would like to be able to read those records.  

So here we are starting the Russian alphabet tomorrow.  I am very :hurray: but also a little  :svengo: .  Well, we will do it as long as it is fun and interesting.  I have no illusion that anyone here will actually learn to speak it.  But reading and writing names would be cool.  

Kudos to you for trying something new!  :hurray:

I'm a little jealous that you got some free kids materials for Russian.  Dd7 said she wanted to learn Russian this summer, so we did a cursory beginning.  I totally felt out of my depth, but by continuing to work on it, it makes more sense.

How did the alphabet go?  Below is a resource that helped me to make sense of the Russian Alphabet:

Read the Cyrillic Alphabet in 5 Minutes

If you can, PM me in a few months when you have figured out which resources are worthwhile.  I'd appreciate the input.

We're starting Russian this year. We dabbled in it a few years ago, and ds kept asking to start back again. We have no illusions about becoming proficient during his last two years of school, but he's considering continuing his studies in college, either that or German, not sure yet. 

Kudos to you for trying something new!  :hurray:

I'm a little jealous that you got some free kids materials for Russian.  Dd7 said she wanted to learn Russian this summer, so we did a cursory beginning.  I totally felt out of my depth, but by continuing to work on it, it makes more sense.

How did the alphabet go?  Below is a resource that helped me to make sense of the Russian Alphabet:

Read the Cyrillic Alphabet in 5 Minutes

If you can, PM me in a few months when you have figured out which resources are worthwhile.  I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks for the link.  I guess I need to brush up on my Greek alphabet to take full advantage, though.  ;)

I'll let you know how it goes.  I suspect that interest will fizzle once we get through the alphabet.  Our materials are actual Russian picture books (as in printed in Russia).  I am expecting another box, so we will see what else is in there.  

If you are looking for more than picture books, my favorite book on learning Russian is The New Penguin Russian Course. Loved that book when I was starting out.

I have a bunch of Russian kids books PDFs and such, as well as courses online, but I would love more print stuff. I have a romance novel that my mom found I don't know where, as well as The Hunger Games in Russian. And textbooks. I have a big long wish list on Amazon with all the kids books I'd like, but at this point they wouldn't help me too much anymore. A lot of them are beautifully illustrated, though. I may buy them anyways, and with the hope that my kids end up being 'linguaholics' like myself.

Russian is not something I'd attempt to teach/learn without an expert. I studied Ukrainian at university with a native speaker for a full year, everyday for an hour. It's very, very challenging. Sure you can all learn the Cyrillic alphabet together and perhaps learn a few words and expressions, but don't have any fantasies about learning much more than that on your own. Your motivation isn't going to be enough to carry you very far without outside help. Give it a go and see what happens. Someone may get the interest to pursue it further.

Take it from a native speaker - if you know the rules, you should be able to learn to  read and write and there is no such thing as "spelling"

That being said, what makes it very difficult is all the expressions that completely loose their meaning in the translation, and thus make it very hard to understand and explain

Take it from a native speaker - if you know the rules, you should be able to learn to  read and write and there is no such thing as "spelling"

That being said, what makes it very difficult is all the expressions that completely loose their meaning in the translation, and thus make it very hard to understand and explain

Yes, but learning all the rules for using multiple cases takes time and careful study, and not many English speakers have a lot of experience with this. The vocabulary is also very different to Germanic and Romantic languages, which are closer to English and Spanish/French. I also found it challenging to block out the English alphabet letter sounds and "plug in" the same letters with completely different sounds. Then there are the Cyrillic letters that we don't have a direct single-letter equivalent to in English, to add to the fun!