Menu

Anybody got a "good" microwave?

bolt.

Our microwave just kicked the bucket, so we're shopping today for a replacement. The old one had some sort of 'sensing' for done-ness and pre-set cooking/thawing options -- but they were rarely effective and tended to really overdo things.

Do any of you have a microwave where those kinds of features are effective? What other features do you like?

I'm willing to go somewhat high-end, but only if there is actually a point to doing so. Otherwise, I may just buy a cheap-o option.

Primary uses: oatmeal, omelettes, steamed veggies, reheating leftovers.

We love our inexpensive Kenmore Elite. I think we bought it on sale. It has lots of features that work well (the soup feature is great). It's shaped such that you can put a cake pan sized casserole dish in it, and it has plenty of clearance to spin without being a huge microwave over all. 

Our Panasonic has a defrost by weight that works quite well. It has a turntable off/on button so I can put in a 9x13 pan without it thinking the sides ;). It also came with a rack to put the bigger dishes on, but I've never really bothered with that. It has quick buttons for beverages, chocolate, cream cheese, butter... Various "snacks" (never had a need for that one).... Fresh veggies, frozen veggies - quite reliable.

We bought a GE microwave about 4 months ago and I absolutely love it.  It has "Express Cook" which mean with one touch (meaning I don't have to touch the start button too) I can hit a 30 second button to heat something up.  If I think it needs to go longer, I can hit it again and it will add another 30 seconds to it before it stops.  If 30 seconds is too long, you can always stop it too to shorten the time.  I use this feature all the time.  You can also do Express Cook with the regular numbers, so for example if I hit the number 5, it will cook for 5 minutes.  It has "Sensor Cooking" buttons which I have used for "Popcorn", "Potatoes", and "Vegetables".  I think the vegetables button will also ask you if it is frozen or fresh so the time is adjusted for cooking.  All have cooked perfectly.  It also will remind you if you left something in the microwave and forgot to get it out.  It's not annoying in that way, it dings and scrolls a message across saying something like "Food is ready".  I've used the defrost successfully as well.  This microwave is my favorite of the 4 or 5 I've owned.  I'm sorry I couldn't find a model number on it.  The salesman told me there are really only two companies who make microwaves and they just put their own name on it. 

We bought a GE microwave about 4 months ago and I absolutely love it.  It has "Express Cook" which mean with one touch (meaning I don't have to touch the start button too) I can hit a 30 second button to heat something up.  If I think it needs to go longer, I can hit it again and it will add another 30 seconds to it before it stops.  If 30 seconds is too long, you can always stop it too to shorten the time.  I use this feature all the time.  You can also do Express Cook with the regular numbers, so for example if I hit the number 5, it will cook for 5 minutes.  It has "Sensor Cooking" buttons which I have used for "Popcorn", "Potatoes", and "Vegetables".  I think the vegetables button will also ask you if it is frozen or fresh so the time is adjusted for cooking.  All have cooked perfectly.  It also will remind you if you left something in the microwave and forgot to get it out.  It's not annoying in that way, it dings and scrolls a message across saying something like "Food is ready".  I've used the defrost successfully as well.  This microwave is my favorite of the 4 or 5 I've owned.  I'm sorry I couldn't find a model number on it.  The salesman told me there are really only two companies who make microwaves and they just put their own name on it. 

Yes, this is the same thing we have most likely...It is the GE Profile...I hardly ever use it, but it does what is described above and everyone else loves it...

GE Profile are my favorite appliances...

I have a don't buy recommendation. We purchased a no name above stove microwave/vent combo from home depot in 2011. It has no branding on front but if you open up door service website is magic chef.

We hate it. Popcorn flips some form of safety sensor each time and we have to flip our breaker to get microwave to reset. We've had our wiring and electrical checked by a licensed electrician and was told it is not our breaker/wiring but the microwave. That only happens with popcorn. Thaw wise is horrible. Typically everything is still frozen even after 45 minutes of defrosting per it's preprogrammed settings per weight.

The turn table is pathetic and continually slips off and doesn't turn.