Menu

When do high schoolers cover probability, statistics, etc?

For California, it was covered from 6th grade (whisker box plot, stem and leaf plot), 7th grade (correlation) to algebra 1. None in geometry. Again in algebra 2. I'm going from memory of what my older had to cover for school.

What topics of statistics are you looking at?

ETA:

5 pages of a math text on box and whisker plot

http://mspruitt.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/5/4/7854121/section_12.3_box-and-whisker_plots.pdf

I don't even know-I was looking at a graph that showed frequency of topics on SAT and I saw that statistics and probablility and ratios and data interpretation and such show up a lot on the SAT, and I thought we briefly covered that stuff in 7th grade; I'm sure she's forgotten it, and I don't see it in the Algebra 1 S+S and it certainly wouldn't be in Geom, so are they expecting these kids will remember it from 7th grade for the SAT (if you take Alg 1 in 9th grade, you won't have had all of Alg 2 before the SAT)? But I haven't done high school math yet so maybe it's in there somewhere?  Thanks.

McDougal Littell (Larson) Algebra 1 has the topics in Chapter 5 (5.7) and Chapter 6 (6.6 and 6.7) on the 2001 edition

I only remember so well because AoPS algebra does not cover prob & stats but California algebra 1 does include prob & stats and my boys were with a public charter.

If you want me to check my copy of Larson Algebra 2 for what is covered for prob & stats, let me know.

ETA:

I know AoPS has Intro to C&P. Just saying it's not part of intro to algebra. My kid had to do an end of year algebra exam for his California charter.

Hmm...yes, I just looked and even TT Alg 1 has it.

Foerster's Alg 1 has probability but not statistics.

I was looking at doing Math Relief Algebra 1, but it doesn't have it :(  Neither does Algebra 1: A Fresh Approach. And those were the Algebra 1 options I was looking at.

Thanks, Arcadia-it looks like it must vary amongst curriculum providers. Interesting that AoPS doesn't have it!

Maybe I'd do better to pick an Alg. 1 that has those topics.

My children started "learning" statistics and probability in first grade in public school.  They didn't know addition yet, much less fractions, but probability was part of the year's learning objectives so that they would be prepared for the standard tests!  

-it looks like it must vary amongst curriculum providers. Interesting that AoPS doesn't have it!

Maybe I'd do better to pick an Alg. 1 that has those topics.

It depends on what topics you're talking about specifically, but FWIW, AoPS has a chapter on probability and a chapter on statistics in its prealgebra text, as well as entirely separate texts on probability.

FWIW, a while ago, this topic came up in this thread  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/497900-fyi-collegeboard-middle-school-math-program-california-comon-core-ed/page-3

Those are not Algebra 1 or Algebra 2 topics.  Some publishers have added them anyway due to Common Core and/or state testing requirements. 

I've used a few Geometry courses that covered 'Geometric Probability' (Holt 2006 does)... Lial covers these in the BCM and Pre-Algebra levels (most common to see these at the middle school level).  If students take a Statistics class in high school it is often their Sr year-- so after any testing window.

ACT/SAT tests do not cover just high school material-- they cover middle school material too (acquired knowledge/application skills).