Menu

NOT meant as a debate; tell me about Doug Wilson

SproutMamaK

My local homeschool is offering a group discount on one of Douglas Wilson's online lecture series. I have no plans on attending, for the record (I'm already quite aware of the case for classical Christian education tyvm, lol). When I heard the name, alarm bells started going off in my mind, but there have been so many homeschooling scandals lately that I honestly can't remember specifically why it is that this guy's name sent shivers down my spine.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what his affiliations are and why his name would sound so familiar? Not looking to rehash any drama that may or may not have happened with regard to... well, whatever it is. It just annoys me that my brain seems to be a sieve lately and I'd like someone to jog my memory here, lol.

Thanks!

Big Rabbit Hole

Off the top of my head:

infatuation with slavery

plagiarism

covering for p*dophiles in his church

full of himself

cult-like obsession of many of his church members

...and so much more!

I actually lived in the same town as him for a few years and got to see stuff secondhand.

I actually do like some of his educational materials but wouldn't buy from him.

I think Doug Phillips was the one involved in the sexual scandal. I know there is something with Doug Wilson, but I'm just thinking maybe you're thinking of Doug Phillips with the big scandal.

Or I could be totally backwards - they all confuse me.

Stacey is correct, the Vision Forum scandal was Doug Phillips. Doug Wilson, however, runs along the same current with Federal Vision and patriarchy. OP, if you are curious about patriarchy in general, I recommend Karen Campbell's blog for a good overview from a (nonpatriarchal yet somewhat conservative) Christian perspective.

http://www.thatmom.com/2014/04/21/patriarchy-on-trial-part-one/

Personally, I would not follow his teachings or subject my children to it. That includes children of either gender; IMO it's damaging to male and female alike.

Thanks for the links! This one was the one that I was thinking of; it all came back as I was reading it. And the comments in the last few posts about all the additional things he's done sadly don't surprise me after having gone through that thread.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to request that the mods close this before someone inevitable comes charging in to start a fight, lol. Or should we let it stay for a while to enjoy the cupcakes and kilts? ;)

I will just add that he didn't just cover for a pedophile, he arranged a marriage with a young lady in his church to help him stay on the "straight and narrow". The judge presiding over the pedophiles case was APPALLED, but legally could not stop the marriage. However, he did state that if there were children as a product of the marriage, she would have to leave him or the children would be taken away because the terms of his parole - known by Doug Wilson because he testified at trhe parole hearing and was a part of the accountability chain for this man - were very strict. Numerous victims and he confessed!

The perv's name is Steven Sitler and if you google it, you come up with a lot of info about Doug W's involvement.