Menu

Can't make fire! Science in the Beginning Lesson 5

mmasc

Ok, I've done this lesson exactly as explained and we aren't getting fire, or even smoke! It's 104 degrees here, full sun so the day is perfect for the experiment but it's not happening. The experiment is to use a magnifying glass outdoors with a small scrap of white paper. Let the sun pass through the magnifying glass onto the paper, getting the white circle as small as possible on the paper. We've tried two different magnifying glasses, white paper, cotton balls...no.luck.at.all. Any tips?

I've done this years ago and wind was definitely a potential issue. You might try it again on a still day ... I doubt your kids will complain about returning to an old science lab if that means they get to set something on fire.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully we will have a still day someday. It's always windy here! With three boys, fire was definitely something they were looking forward to. If it's not burning or exploding, my DS6 doesn't think it's an 'experiment'. :)

join the club. we just did that a few days ago.   I couldn't get the fire/smoke, hole burn either.  Handed it to my daughter and it happened within seconds.  She held the magnifying glass just slightly different angle with slightly different size of circle on the paper.  works for her everytime and never for me. it's funny. it's like it's trick paper or something. wink.

I have a bunch of other little notes from when I did a run through the experiments last year.  I dont' know if any of that will help for little stuff in the coming units.  but here's the link to a forum.  same user name on there as here.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=120510

The quality of the magnifying glass will definitely make a difference. A glass lens will work MUCH better than plastic, if you can get a plastic one to work at all. A larger lens will also focus more energy than a smaller one.

Great follow up project: compare magnifiers and research why these variables make a difference! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I love this forum.  The children were so disappointed when nothing happened, so I checked to see if anyone had written about this, and found that we should use a glass magnifying glass and a darker piece of paper.  Thank you!  Now I just have to question the wisdom of showing 6-year-olds how to make fire in the back yard . . .