Menu

I feel like I haven't been rigorous enough with dc-now I'm panicking!

happyWImom

My dd will be in 7th grade next year, and because of her anxiety & OCD, I haven't been as demanding of her as I possibly should have.  Now, looking at her schedule next year, I'm panicking a little.  It seems like so much more than we/she's ever done.  It's definitely not rigorous by most  of TWTM standards, but for us....

A lot of it will be the reading.  For instance, she'll be doing Apologia Gen. Science, and we're continuing with MFW Exp. to 1850.  In the past, I've done a lot of the reading out loud.  Just because I enjoy learning with them, and it saved us time.  This year, however, dd will also be doing a bunch of literature guides (Progeny Press, MP, BF) as well, and so she will be writing as well as reading a lot more.  She enjoys reading, but tends to read a bit slow to get total comprehension.  I'm just not sure how to work everything.  Here is our list of curriculum for her:

History: MFW Exp.- 1850 (which includes quite a bit of notebooking)

Science: Apologia Gen. Science w/ notebook

Math: MUS & TT (I know-2 different maths but TT is below her level & isn't difficult we're still trying to figure out which to stick with for the long-term)

Writing: Write Shop 1

English: R&S 6

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

Lit: BF History of Horse (finishing), PP guides & MP

Fallacy Detective

piano lessons

drawing lessons

4-H

Weekly hs co-op (Fridays)

The only other thing I have is LOF which they both love and we started with the first books, so we're still way behind in grade level

We do most of R&S orally (other than diagramming) and I will skip the writing portions in it.  GSWL is the most simple Latin curriculum I could find.  I don't know how else to streamline, other than cut one of the math prog. but am not willing to yet.  Thoughts?   Am I just overreacting, or have you gone through this as they got older?

I feel the same way with my 7th grader. I don't know if his schedule is rigorous, but it is full. I have warned him that there will be a big step up in his work load and expectations this year. He also has OCD/anxiety and we've had seasons of very light schedules to compensate. He's been doing much better, but I'm nervous for him. He keeps asking me to add in more subjects but I think we have enough. How did he get so big? I feel so much pressure now that he's getting closer to high school.

Looks like my son's schedule. He's going into 7th grade. We don't do each subject each day. Instead of doing a 5 day schedule, I do a 6 day schedule. Most subjects are done every day, but for the subjects that aren't, I split them up among the 6 days in my schedule.

That might not work for you if you lose a day to co-op. Are any of those subjects covered in co-op? What is done in your co-op?

We're doing the same thing this year - ramping up a bit. The only thing I might change is to have her do less notebooking for history.

I was thinking the same thing.  As long as I know the reading is getting done and we do lots of discussion, she's doing enough writing elsewhere.  At least for now.

Looks like my son's schedule. He's going into 7th grade. We don't do each subject each day. Instead of doing a 5 day schedule, I do a 6 day schedule. Most subjects are done every day, but for the subjects that aren't, I split them up among the 6 days in my schedule.

That might not work for you if you lose a day to co-op. Are any of those subjects covered in co-op? What is done in your co-op?

We are actually in 2 co-ops!  They both meet 2 Fridays per month.  The one is doing Apologia Gen. Science, so at least that is something we also do; I don't consider it a day lost at least.  They also will do a speech class one semester and art the other.  The art will go along with the history time period we're studying.

The other co-op is one that we've been in for years.  They have a phy ed/games class as well as communications/speech.  So, I feel they are both worth it.  At this point.  If it turns out either one doesn't justify the time spent away from school, we might eventually eliminate one of them.

I'm glad I'm not totally alone here.  I know we aren't supposed to compare, every student's different, yada, yada, but sometimes when I look at the schedules & classes for kids the same ages as mine, I freak out a bit! :eek:   

One of my problems is that I tend to add in too many things.  Because there is so much out there and it sounds so good-plus I know my dc will enjoy it all!  But, they do get overwhelmed, as do I.  When my dd found out we were going to do TT and MUS, she said "Okay, but can we do less other subjects?  Only 1 science class, english class, etc..?"  

In middle school, the top 1% students move ahead exponentially, and the struggling students fall "behind" exponentially.

Students are PEOPLE first, and deserving of a curriculum that is developmentally appropriate and balanced for body and soul as well as the mind. Some students NEED a body and soul heavy curriculum, and one that is lighter on the mind.

Many good moms are going to watch helplessly as their children fall "behind". It can be a difficult and confusing time, depending on your worldview and educational goals. Other families fly though this time happy and grounded.

:grouphug:

In middle school, the top 1% students move ahead exponentially, and the struggling students fall "behind" exponentially.

Students are PEOPLE first, and deserving of a curriculum that is developmentally appropriate and balanced for body and soul as well as the mind. Some students NEED a body and soul heavy curriculum, and one that is lighter on the mind.

Many good moms are going to watch helplessly as their children fall "behind". It can be a difficult and confusing time, depending on your worldview and educational goals. Other families fly though this time happy and grounded.

:grouphug:

What do you mean by a "body and soul heavy curriculum"?

What do you mean by a "body and soul heavy curriculum"?

Some students NEED the arts and physical education and religious education and time just curled up with reading good literature. Some need to write poetry and paint, and continue their CM nature studies. All these things that are common in the lower grades are rare in the upper grades that are focused on very narrow and rigorous studies that do little to nurture the body and soul.

Competition gets fierce and often becomes the center of the curriculum. The focus changes from the student to what OTHER students are doing. "Success" is based on comparisons with others, rather than person goals.

Although our country's occupations are quite diverse, "high school" is becoming a very narrow prep, directing all students towards occupations that very few of them will actually end out entering.

Teens are much more likely to be diagnosed with eating disorders and substance abuse and depression, not just because they are older, but because their environment is harsher than younger children. Everyone knows that a 8 year old needs recess, but how often do we hear that a 16 year old NEEDS recess?

Some students NEED the arts and physical education and religious education and time just curled up with reading good literature. Some need to write poetry and paint, and continue their CM nature studies. All these things that are common in the lower grades are rare in the upper grades that are focused on very narrow and rigorous studies that do little to nurture the body and soul.

Competition gets fierce and often becomes the center of the curriculum. The focus changes from the student to what OTHER students are doing. "Success" is based on comparisons with others, rather than person goals.

Although our country's occupations are quite diverse, "high school" is becoming a very narrow prep, directing all students towards occupations that very few of them will actually end out entering.

Teens are much more likely to be diagnosed with eating disorders and substance abuse and depression, not just because they are older, but because their environment is harsher than younger children. Everyone knows that a 8 year old needs recess, but how often do we hear that a 16 year old NEEDS recess?

Oh Hunter, this SO resonates with me.  (Almost) 11 yo is entering 6th grade, in theory, and I've been wrestling with what middle school should look like for her, because the traditional model (school or homeschool) just doesn't fit.  I wish you knew her; you'd know exactly what I mean.  She is glorious... and gloriously different.

So, thank you for explaining what you meant, because it was exactly what I needed to hear.

Like. 

Since your daughter reads kind of slow have you considered doing some audio books for some of the required reading? Or doing some visual curriculum items like dvds or movies?

Why didn't I think of audio books???  Great idea!  

I do add lots of dvds to our history (I don't always stick 100% to the TM) so when it's a super heavy week, we can always do that.

My dd loves nature & being outside, and I have wanted to incorporate more nature studies.  But, then it is just more work.  I finally decided to just let her do her own thing and enjoy.  She is constantly reading the different nature guides and taking photos.  That is enough "study".  I don't want to suck the joy out of it for her.

A bit of advice - don't let the curriculum drive you (or your student). Modify as necessary (like if the notebooking is too much). It is okay to 'ramp up' to what the program is asking by the end of the year. You are working on building SKILLS in these crucial 'middle years' - not necessarily accumulating a lot of content.

GSWL should be perfect for an intro to Latin. You can do Fallacy Detective outloud through discussion - curled up on the couch together a couple times per week and still get the book done in less than a year. 

Make sure you take time to talk through things with her - see how things are going, what she's struggling with, and what she likes. I ditto the audiobooks, but it is important she read some of it, too, or next year (and the year after, and the year after) will seem even more intimidating. Again, ramp up -- have her read the lower level books herself, talk about them, and ramp up to the higher level books later in the year -- possibly only getting to 'grade level' at the end of the year.

Check into Virtual Homeschool group for Apologia Gen Sci. It is helping my dd and she loves it. She does the readings herself and then can go listen to a lecture and see models. Then I use this site to add videos http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot.com/p/general-science.html. Its not so boring this way and it is helping a ton with comprehension!

A bit of advice - don't let the curriculum drive you (or your student). Modify as necessary (like if the notebooking is too much). It is okay to 'ramp up' to what the program is asking by the end of the year. You are working on building SKILLS in these crucial 'middle years' - not necessarily accumulating a lot of content.

This is fantastic advice!