Menu

Veteran HSers from 90s, do you remember this unit study?

I'm in the process of writing my own American History study for my children.  While gathering the books, my mind wandered to a once really popular homeschool unit study curriculum.  For the life of me, I cannot remember its name.  It was probably popular in the mid-90s but may have been in the early 2000s as well.  It was called something America.  I believe it was all focused around American History.  I know that it was a bit costly - back then - compared to other programs.  We never used it, but I found myself always reading message boards about it.  I know that I was tempted a few times.

Do you remember the program?  I'm not sure why the name has left my mind (yeah I do..starts with meno and ends with pause).

I'm just curious what happened to it.  It went from being the new and popular curriculum to disappearing; it seems.  Thanks if anyone has the answer.  Ready to quit searching my brain for it.

Ya'know, I read the first paragraph 3 or 4 times before I figured out you meant veteran homeschoolers. I kept thinking Veterinarians and I was wondering why Vet(erinarians) would have published a unit study and why it was so popular among homeschoolers.

Yes, it has been a long summer, thank you for asking...

Ya'know, I read the first paragraph 3 or 4 times before I figured out you meant veteran homeschoolers. I kept thinking Veterinarians and I was wondering why Vet(erinarians) would have published a unit study and why it was so popular among homeschoolers.

Yes, it has been a long summer, thank you for asking...

I changed the title.  Though, a veterinarian unit study might be interesting.   ;)

It wasn't KONOS or Notgrass (Notgrass started in 99 so believe this one was a bit before that).  If I recall correctly it would be similar to ..hmm..maybe Sonlight with lots of books that went with it - maybe not as many books as Sonlight.  It was during the time when Far Above Rubies unit study was popular (even before it).  There were quite a few all-in-ones at the time.  It was hugely popular.  

Hunter, it may not have been completed.  It could have been that some of the units were available but more were being written.  I could be wrong and confusing it with something else.  

Was it the Noah Plan and/or The Principle Approach?  http://www.face.net/?page=noah_plan

I also remember another one that was in a large binder, and it was American History, but I can't recall the name.

No.  It wasn't the Noah Plan, but that sure does bring back memories.  I remember that one being really popular for awhile.

Was it A New World of Adventures by learning adventures.org?

I've been looking at that all day.  I want to say that it is it, but there's something that I'm not sure of that prevents me from thinking that it is.  I believe that World of Adventure (the World History unit) came out before A New World of Adventures.  My memory is leading me to believe that World of Adventure came out after the mysterious American History curriculum.  The word "adventure" is making me want to say that is it.

Perhaps it was during her writing process that some units were out before others.  Years ago I did use World of Adventure (in 2000) for a semester, but I still think that it came out after the American History curriculum in question.

I think I remember a multivolume unit-study American History curriculum that maybe 2 of 4 volumes got published. I can't remember. I'm sorry.

I remember Runkle Geography was the 1st volume, and then when no more volumes were ever finished, that it got sold as a complete curriculum. That was awfully sneaky.

I get really annoyed with unfinished curricula that is put out with promises that are not kept.

It sounds familiar, but I sold off most of what I owned back in the mid-late 90s, except for my old Konos volumes. Wasn't Far Above Rubies published in like 2001 or so?

My first thought was Learning Adventures. The only other things I can think of that haven't already been mentioned is Homeschool Ponies and Huskies or Weaver, but neither of them fit.

Learning Adventures was my guess, too.

I've been looking at that all day.  I want to say that it is it, but there's something that I'm not sure of that prevents me from thinking that it is.  I believe that World of Adventure (the World History unit) came out before A New World of Adventures.  My memory is leading me to believe that World of Adventure came out after the mysterious American History curriculum.  The word "adventure" is making me want to say that is it.

Perhaps it was during her writing process that some units were out before others.  Years ago I did use World of Adventure (in 2000) for a semester, but I still think that it came out after the American History curriculum in question.

We started homeschooling in 2000, and the World of Adventure study (6 units, 3 each on Ancients and on Medieval) had just come out, no more than a year earlier than that, and it was the first of the Learning Adventure studies. A friend of mine got it that first year we were homeschooling and we borrowed a few ideas from it for our Ancients.

The New World of Adventure, the Early American History study, came out a few years later, about the time we were looking into various options for our American History studies. I remember looking over the samples of the brand new study, trying to decide if it would be a fit or not for our American History studies. :)

The only things I can think of from the 1990s are Sonlight, Beautiful Feet, Greenleaf, and Konos…   :confused1:

I figured it out!

It was the original Life in America series by Ellen Gardner.  

I think what happened was the original series was hugely popular and very well-loved.  For some reason she went with a different publisher, and everything went downhill with the newer versions.  Eventually, she pulled away from doing them altogether.  It seems the old ones were published in the mid/late-90s.  The newer ones were in the early 2000s.  Popularity dropped really quickly after the republication.  

Edited to add:  I also recall the price was really high.  The guide itself was expensive, but the recommended/required books and CD programs really added to the overall cost.  There was also a lot of preparation required.  I'm sure it would have faded with time anyway.

Wow.  I've been researching for a couple days to remember something that I didn't need to remember.   :lol:  

Thank you to all who played along and helped my poor memory.  Now I can get that thought out of my head and move on with planning. Yay!!

Oh yes! Weren't they the ones using the Streams of Civilization for the history text??

I don't think so.

The Weaver came out around the same time as KONOS. It is a unit study based on reading through the Bible chronologically. The author, Becky Avery, sold it to Alpha Omega at some point.

I figured it out!

It was the original Life in America series by Ellen Gardner.  

I think what happened was the original series was hugely popular and very well-loved.  For some reason she went with a different publisher, and everything went downhill with the newer versions.  Eventually, she pulled away from doing them altogether.  It seems the old ones were published in the mid/late-90s.  The newer ones were in the early 2000s.  Popularity dropped really quickly after the republication.  

Edited to add:  I also recall the price was really high.  The guide itself was expensive, but the recommended/required books and CD programs really added to the overall cost.  There was also a lot of preparation required.  I'm sure it would have faded with time anyway.

Wow.  I've been researching for a couple days to remember something that I didn't need to remember.   :lol:  

Thank you to all who played along and helped my poor memory.  Now I can get that thought out of my head and move on with planning. Yay!!

Yes, Yes, YES! I remember this!!!!! (ok, I"m old)

I was looking at it when my oldest was around 10 or 11, so 2002? I looked and looked at it, thought it might be an answer to our "I can't handle Sonlight any more with multiple kids". But IIRC, there were SO MANY TYPOS that I couldn't handle it.

Switched to TOG shortly thereafter.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! (And for making me feel like an old geezer)

Well, if we are listing old unit studies.

Teaching with God's Heart for the World. It's free now.

http://harvestministry.org/twghw

Student of the Word. It's still very expensive.

http://www.sowcurriculum.com

Far above Rubies. It's only available as a CD or a pdf now.

http://www.lyndacoats.com/?page_id=3

http://www.homeschoolradioshows.com/FarAboveRubies/FarAboveRubiesSampler1.pdf