Menu

WWYD? Swim Lessons and Open Swim

Thoughts on this  

15 members have voted

1. 1. WWYD?

• Give the Fitness Center Another Chance for Lessons
    • Go with the new place and not bother with the old
    • Combination. Go to the new place for private swim lessons and go to the old for open swim/play
    • Other (in comments)

First, DS can swim. It is just not pretty and while he has gone through the learn to swim classes I feel he could benefit from more instruction. DS wants to learn more and he wants to join a gym that has a pool and open swim time so he can play.

Due to where we live and our schedule I have limited options. The pool must be heated. Swim team is not of interest. DS took lessons at the gym where he did gymnastics. Great experience but the pool and lessons are seasonal and he has completed their program and even if I wait until next summer there is nothing left for them to teach him. DS private lessons at this point.

The first:

The community center I have been looking at offers open swim in the evenings and all day on the weekends. This would meets DS desire to swim and play. They also offer group fitness classes (DS loves them) have an open basketball court time, will allow DS to run on the track and use the cardio equipment. It is a complete community center. 

But.

I tried to enroll DS in the classes several times. I finally gave up after I talked to the people working the desk and asked to sign up. I was told it was too early to register for the next session and to call a week later on X date to get my name on the list. I called about 30 minutes after they opened on X date. I was then told I had to talk to a certain person about it. I left a message. She did not call me back so I called the next day to see when was a good time to catch her. Turned out she was there. I talked to her and she was incredibly rude. She said that that was their busiest session and they just filled up the day before X day. I was a bit confused and asked why I was told the day I was in that I could not sign up my son then. She became very agitated and I decided I really didn't want my son to take lessons at that location. I do not know the level they can take kids to in private lessons. DS is past all group lesson offerings.

The pros: all in one location and easier to get to.

The cons: Past experience and they do not specialize in swimming

The second:

Is just an indoor pool. The focus is on swim team and diving. They have open lap time for people to come in and swim laps. They have lessons for all skills levels, a swim team, diving lessons and a dive team. They do not have open swim. They do offer private lessons but they also offer more advanced group lessons for children like my son who do not have an interest in swim team but want to increase their skill and endurance. Membership includes aquatics based fitness classes and some dryland pre-team training classes. Membership is NOT required to take classes or private lessons. 

The pros:

They know what they are doing

Advanced group lessons are an available

Private lessons are an option and are affordable

Prices and sign up requirements are clearly stated on the website

The cons:

About 10 minutes out of my way

No open swim

The third option is to join the community center for open swim and fitness and have DS take lessons at the other facility. 

Pros:

Open Swim

Fitness classes

Competent swim instruction

Cons:

Managing two accounts

Added drive time

Additional slight scheduling headache

My dh could already swim when he took some advanced semi-private lessons and he was pleasantly surprised with how much more there was to learn and how much more he enjoyed swimming.

If I were in your situation I'd probably start with instruction at the pool only place. After a round or two of classes I'd reevaluate and perhaps do both for another few rounds of classes transitioning to the open swim place later...of course depending on if we liked both places equally.

Just my two cents! :)

Eta: the "call back later/you just missed it" thing would drive me nuts!

About the too early / too late registration, I wonder if they open registration to existing members earlier than the general public.  My rec center does this.  If it gets filled up quick with existing members, then you could be out of luck.

I would probably go with the advanced group swim lessons to start.  If it isn't too much extra expense, I'd also join the rec place and just go there whenever we had nothing better to do.

I'm putting my kids in swim team this year because they are done with all the lessons offered.  I'm not sure how they will like it.  It looks rather boring to me.  But they wanted to give it a try.

When I had kids in swimming lessons at a local Y there was that same odd issue with registering for the classes.  It made me semi-neurotic.  You never knew if you would get in on the class you needed/wanted, and you had to get the right person at the desk at just the right time.  It usually worked out for us once I got into the "loop" of lessons, but it was hard to get in, and it was annoying.

If it isn't that much trouble, I'd go with the professional swimming lessons for now and skip the angry desk. :)