Menu

Incisional infections

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

I've got them. 

Went to the ER night before last because the belly button incision was so painful and it was still bleeding. They confirmed an infection (the surrounding skin was also red, something I didn't notice before they pointed it out), and gave me Keflex. I was supposed to call the surgeon yesterday but that antibiotic makes me so sick and exhausted that I mostly slept yesterday. 

I woke up today to one (no, wait. It's two of them.) more incision area infected. Red skin, puss, bloody something oozing. This is AFTER I've been on the Keflex. 

So. I have an appt with the surgeon for next Monday already. Can I just keep that one and wait to see how the Keflex works (or doesnt?)?

I was told to keep the bandages on the belly button and change them often. I can't do that with the steri stips, though. Should I put a soaked (in peroxide) pad on top of the steri stips maybe?

Leave it to me to have the after surgery complications. 

Guest inoubliable

Bah. I was hoping for something like "you poor dear. Just rest and maybe have some chocolate milk. Monday will come soon enough."

I'm on hold with the surgeon's office. 

Bah. I was hoping for something like "you poor dear. Just rest and maybe have some chocolate milk. Monday will come soon enough."

I'm on hold with the surgeon's office. 

Glad to hear it, you posted while I was typing. 

It is not recommended that you put peroxide on your incision unless instructed, and not full strength.

Guest inoubliable

Glad to hear it, you posted while I was typing. 

It is not recommended that you put peroxide on your incision unless instructed, and not full strength.

Left a mesasge with his nurse. 

Hydrogen peroxide is what I'm using for cleaning out the belly button incision. Well, not the incision. It's too far back. But that's what they used in the ER to clean out the collected bloody stuff. *gag* And they told me to use that at home to do the same thing. 

I guess I'm just waiting on the call back now. 

Left a mesasge with his nurse. 

Hydrogen peroxide is what I'm using for cleaning out the belly button incision. Well, not the incision. It's too far back. But that's what they used in the ER to clean out the collected bloody stuff. *gag* And they told me to use that at home to do the same thing. 

I guess I'm just waiting on the call back now. 

I would check with your surgeon, it slows healing by damaging the healing tissue and many surgeons have done away with the practice.  Some still use it, but at half strength.

It's common in the ER because it's cheap, but as part of surgical discharge teaching we tell patients not to use it unless specifically instructed by the surgeon.  Like anything else ymmv.

I hope you feel better soon!

When I had infections after surgery, they cultured it to see what antibiotics would be effective. They started me on one but had to call in another script as the first one was ineffective.

If you have a resistant infection, ask for a copy of the lab report that lists the antibiotics that will work against it. Typically doctors prescribe the strongest one, but if you google the options, you may find that you would prefer to take one of the other ones with less undesirable side effects. Be aware, though, that if you request a different script (but still for something that is effective against your infection), your doctor may refuse to continue being your doctor, and you will have to find another one who will look at your report and prescribe a different one for you. BTDT.

Guest inoubliable

I go in tomorrow evening. I'm keeping an eye on my temp and will head back to the ER if my temp rises or I feel worse before the appt.

Back to sleep now...

I go in tomorrow evening. I'm keeping an eye on my temp and will head back to the ER if my temp rises or I feel worse before the appt.

Back to sleep now...

I wish the could have seen you today or first thing tomorrow, but at least you have an appointment for tomorrow evening. You might want to try calling in the morning to see if they've had any cancellations.

I hope you don't feel too badly tonight, and that the medicine starts to work for you so the infection doesn't get any worse.