Menu

Charlotte NC Peeps: Closed ER?

Trish

I heard they broke into morning TV programming to announce that a particular ER in Charlotte is closed to the public because they are "testing for something." (presumably a patient who has worrisome symptoms)

Anyone heard of this?

In this Era of Ebola, might not be a bad idea to stock up on masks/gloves/disinfectants or whatever you might need just in case.

I'm sure it's nothing, but...

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/07/30/cmc-emergency-room-closed/13357865/

Since NBC Charlotte immediately reached out to CDC rather than to any local authorities, you know where their minds are. However, that doesn't mean anything--it could be something as simple as a compact fluorescent bulb broke ... that's my hope anyway :)

Statement from the hospital:

Late last evening, a patient arrived at Carolinas Medical Center Emergency Department after visiting a country known for high risk of infectious diseases. We took all appropriate infection control measures to protect patients, staff, and visitors. After consulting with the Centers for Disease Control and the NC Department of Health and Human Services, it appears the risk for communicable disease is low. No further testing is needed and the patient will be sent home. The Emergency Department at Carolinas Medical Center remains open and operating normally.

Isn't the American doctor infected with Ebola from NC?  My first thought was that the person who showed up at the ER was a colleague or relative!

One of them is, the missionary is from Charlotte but I think the Dr is from Texas?

They are with Samaritan's Purse which is based in NC. The organization is pulling out their non-essential missionaries.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/07/29/samaritans-purse-pulls-out/13327341/

It's my understanding that the doctors that are infected are not in the states, they are still in Liberia. It sounds like this hospital over-reacted to me. I would think they would be used to international travelers in a city the size of Charlotte, especially since the city is home to a major relief organization with people who travel to high-risk areas routinely. 

Yes, Nancy Writebol is from Charlotte.  She is with SIM which is based in Charlotte.

We are very familiar with the work SIM does in Liberia as we lived there for a brief period of time.

One of them is, the missionary is from Charlotte but I think the Dr is from Texas?

They are with Samaritan's Purse which is based in NC. The organization is pulling out their non-essential missionaries.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/07/29/samaritans-purse-pulls-out/13327341/

No they didn't.  A patient had just returned from a country where Ebola has been an issue.  He was exhibiting possible signs of having Ebola.

The hospital did exactly as they should have.  They quarantined the problem until they could determine that it was NOT Ebola.

Another man/an American just died en route from West Africa to the USA by plane.  He collapsed in the airport during a lay-over.  People ARE traveling back to the US and they could potentially carry the virus.

Dawn

It's my understanding that the doctors that are infected are not in the states, they are still in Liberia. It sounds like this hospital over-reacted to me. I would think they would be used to international travelers in a city the size of Charlotte, especially since the city is home to a major relief organization with people who travel to high-risk areas routinely. 

Reacting and having it be a false alarm doesn't mean they overreacted. When there is some sort of serious threat that cannot be immediately verified, they have to react as if it were real until proven otherwise. The article isn't clear on the details. If the international traveler had symptoms of a serious transmittable disease and came from a country where they could reasonably expect to have been exposed to it, it may have been a reasonable precaution. 

I read that the patient has been diagnosed with malaria.  He had just returned from a country affected by Ebola.

I don't think thw hospital over-reacted at all.  It seems to me they took common sense precautions until a firm diagnosis was made, and I applaud them.

No they didn't.  A patient had just returned from a country where Ebola has been an issue.  He was exhibiting possible signs of having Ebola.

State health officials also issued a statement Wednesday saying “the patient’s illness and epidemiologic information are NOT consistent with Ebola infection.â€

It does often take time to determine these things, however he was in the ER for four hours before he disclosed his travel history. I find that strange - it would have been one of the first things out of my mouth if I were the patient! Oh well, maybe he wasn't thinking clearly due to his illness, that happens. 

He may have waited to see a doctor for 2-3 hours of that time, depending on how busy the ER was.  

If he had malaria, which was the report I read last night, he may have had a really high fever and some brain fog too.  I have had malaria.  I have had a reoccurrence of malaria many years later.  It does create some foggy thinking.

State health officials also issued a statement Wednesday saying “the patient’s illness and epidemiologic information are NOT consistent with Ebola infection.â€

It does often take time to determine these things, however he was in the ER for four hours before he disclosed his travel history. I find that strange - it would have been one of the first things out of my mouth if I were the patient! Oh well, maybe he wasn't thinking clearly due to his illness, that happens.