Menu

So. I just found out this exists.

Guest inoubliable

I grew up near a military marine mammal training center, and they'd sometimes take them out and do little impromptu dolphin shows for the public. But I first learned about them in A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle (it's only a brief mention - that's not the actual focus of the story).

I grew up near a military marine mammal training center, and they'd sometimes take them out and do little impromptu dolphin shows for the public. But I first learned about them in A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle (it's only a brief mention - that's not the actual focus of the story).

Oh my goodness, I love that book! It was my first ugly cry book :D

Now to go find my copy in the attic...

I heard about them several years ago, right before April Fools Day. My husband woke me up on April first by shouting "al Qaeda bombed the military-trained dolphins!" I cried for five minutes. It's how we realized I might be pregnant with my first :)

Guest inoubliable

I grew up near a military marine mammal training center, and they'd sometimes take them out and do little impromptu dolphin shows for the public. But I first learned about them in A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle (it's only a brief mention - that's not the actual focus of the story).

I....have never read that.  :blushing: Glad I'm going to the library tomorrow.

Me too! What was it about that book?

I didn't remember about the military dolphins, though. I asked my dh and he knew. He always knows weird trivia like that.

Intelligent, introverted, insecure, awkward girl going out with more hot (2 of them anyways), intelligent older guys than she knows what to do with? And she talks telepathically to dolphins? Total intelligent, introverted, insecure, awkward teen girl fantasy fulfillment.

(I don't mean to make it sound shallow. It probably wouldn't have had quite the impact it did on me if I hadn't first read it shortly before my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer.)

Like I said, it's a very brief mention. I believe Adam says something about the military using dolphins for finding mines, and Vicki expresses outrage at the idea.

Since I worked with marine mammals, I found out about this in the late 1980's.

I think militarization of dolphins was part of the theme of the old movie, Day of the Dolphin, starring George C. Scott. The bad guys stole a dolphin the good guy trained and tried to use it to kill the US President.