Menu

Great Expectations -- I confess, I just read my first Dickens...

I can't give you anymore rep for awhile, but I just want to say that I always admire your honesty and cheerful "countenance." Not that one can really have a countenance on-line, but you know what I mean! Your comments are always fresh and encouraging to me.

My ignorance is amusing, isn't it? :)

Thanks, Cynthia. I love that I can bounce ideas off The Hive.

That is NOT what I meant at all! :lol: I just think you would be fun to hang out with. I tend to be of the grumpy persuasion, and you seem to be of the cheerful persuasion.

Sad, I know. I'm a terrible example of a British Lit fan. Not reading Dickens until age 38. Shame on me!

Needless to say, I loved the book. Pip is an amazing character. I will miss him.

Now, off to tackle Tale Of Two Cities & Oliver Twist.

That's great! Last year I read my first Austen book. Maybe we should start a book club! :D

I loved Great Expectations. Dickens paints great word pictures. I could picture the spinster lady character (can't remember her name) in her old wedding gown in the room talking to Pip. Very creepy. I love Dicken's characters.

Miss Havisham. Great Dickens character!

Sad, I know. I'm a terrible example of a British Lit fan. Not reading Dickens until age 38. Shame on me!

Needless to say, I loved the book. Pip is an amazing character. I will miss him.

Great book! You're going to *love* Tale of Two Cities!

I had to laugh at the part in Great Expectations where Pip remembers how his sister "brought him up by hand" *literally*! He has a way of being humorous with very painful subject matter.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I read it for the first time this year also. I adored it.

I always teared up a bit when Joe was involved in the chapter. I loved dear, dear Joe.

I'm going to start A Tale of Two Cities also, but I can't imagine it being better that GE.

Congrats.

That is NOT what I meant at all! :lol: I just think you would be fun to hang out with. I tend to be of the grumpy persuasion, and you seem to be of the cheerful persuasion.

Yes, I've been accused of being a bit too cheerful at times. I can be grumpy too.

I think it would fun to hang out irl w/ a lot of you lovely ladies -- and gents -- here.

For now we'll have to settle for a cyber-happy hour :)

Thanks again for the shout-out :)

Miss Havisham. Great Dickens character!

I read Great Expectations in college. Now I'll have to re-read it.

I just finished re-reading Jasper Fforde's "Lost in a Good Book," in which Miss Havisham is a character. Once you've read GE, and Jane Eyre, and if you appreciate off the wall fiction, Fforde's Thursday Next series is not to be missed.