Menu

NYC Questions- Advice needed!

Jan in SC

We are going to NYC for about a week. We know we will see some shows and some Yankees games. We have some appointments in midtown, but they will be random and we will need to come and go from that area during the day. If you have recommendations for places/activities near there, I'd love them!

Also, is it worth hiring a driver? Does it help to see more places in a short period of time? Catwoman- help!

Personally I found travel in NYC easy with the subway if you can follow a map. It was pretty fast and I wouldn't rec a driver, but others may have different experiences.

Depending on your family's tastes and ages, I'd recommend FAO Schwartz/Toys r us, central park, Metro museum of art, MOMA, empire state building, site of world trade center, statue of liberty, Rockefeller, times square, Guggenheim museum, Grand central, st Patrick's cathedral, United nations, bronx zoo, wall street, Brooklyn bridge, Yankee stadium, coney island, Radio city music hall, little Italy, china town...

Sorry I didn't limit myself to midtown. How could I? :)

I would get a guide book and read through it for starters.   Often it takes longer by car to get around  NYC than by public transportation. It's easy from midtown to hop on a bus or subway and go uptown to the MET or Central Park or Rockefeller Center. Read about the endless museum choices. Go to Chinatown for a walkabout and good food. We like Noodletown and several of the dim sum places of which I can't remember the names. If you have time take the free ferry ride to Staten Island , get off and back on another. It's a short ride and you will enjoy the skyline and seeing the Statue of Liberty.  If you are going to the Statue of Liberty you need to get there before it opens to get in line for their ferry or you can spend hours inline waiting for the ferry and again if you want to go up into the statue. What part of town will you be staying in?

I have found it is easier when visiting NYC to figure out where you will be, and then plan accordingly. Going from place to place, crisscrossing the island is just a whole lot of work and you will spend most of your time waiting. I don't mean avoid the subway, but keep traveling around to a minimum to be able to do and see more. Getting places and getting into places is the WORK of the city. Everything takes longer to get to than you think it will.

If you have an iphone, I love the app "The Scoop". It is free and made by the NYT. Where ever you are in the city it can point you to something great or iconic. Yelp is also very useful.

CityPass is a really good deal if you have interest in seeing the sites it covers. http://www.citypass.com/new-york 

I don't know what ages you have, but we all enjoyed "tea" (huge amount of food!) at Alice's Tea Cup: http://alicesteacup.com/

Please get Levain's cookies. I dream of them. They must be eaten fresh! http://www.levainbakery.com/

Definitely get a subway pass! It's very easy once you get the hang of it. And where else can you see rats the size of raccoons? ;)

The frozen hot chocolate is awesome, but I am not sure it is a 90 min wait kind of awesome. But, I could be convinced if I was in the (relative) neighborhood. I've never been on that side of town at the right time so I haven't bothered.

That is why you make a reservation. I am not waiting 90 minutes for it, either.

I'm only online for a few minutes, but I would highly recommend hiring a driver. It makes your life so much easier, particularly if you don't know your way around. Also, if the weather doesn't cooperate, it's nice to have someone picking you up and dropping you off everywhere you want to go.

The frozen hot chocolate is awesome, but I am not sure it is a 90 min wait kind of awesome. But, I could be convinced if I was in the (relative) neighborhood. I've never been on that side of town at the right time so I haven't bothered.

I'm in NYC right now for two weeks. We went to Serendipity for lunch today. I was surprised, especially considering it is summer, but we were able to walk right in!