Menu

Which science kits are the best? Magic School Bus, Young Scientists Club, or Science in a Nutshell?

I have now done all three of the ones you have mentioned, so I'll give you my take on each.

Magic School Bus - simple and interesting overall. Some were more hands on than others. The germs kit was exceptionally good and the best out of all of them. These are basic and my girl was able to fully engage with them as a science-loving preschooler; they would be far too simple for a science-loving 3rd grader IMO. Best for pre-k to 1st grade as a first exposure to science kits.

Young Scientists Club - I only used about three of these, so maybe they were bad examples. The materials were disappointingly low quality and we had a number of "failures" - results did not match known expectations. I can't recommend these.

Science in a Nutshell - we've only used one so far, but we will be ordering more. The kit we got is complete and materials are very good quality. There is enough in the kit for three children, so we will put aside the kit to revisit later after we complete it. The kit we got is listed as 4th-6th grade, but my advanced kindy kid is able to do it alongside me. The actual amount of science (explanations, vocabulary, putting concepts together) is *much* higher than the other two series and we are able to use this alongside BFSU and my current intention would be to use the kits bit by bit through about fifth grade level. Obvious downside is price as this is much more expensive than the other options, but it also includes more in-depth activities than the other two.

We have gone with a couple of the ASK kits too, and love them. They are much more high quality and you will find that the components will morph into long-term use...as opposed to hitting the trash or recycling when you are done!

http://www.academyofscienceforkids.com/rocks-and-minerals/rocks-amp-minerals-earth-science-101

We have done all of the different types of kits, although I have *almost-* given up on lots altogether. We did a subscription to MSB science kits and a few Young Scientist kits, and they were fun...when Alex was about 3! You will be hard pressed to make them worthwhile for a science-loving 1st grader, much less a third grader. That isn't to say there are not worthwhile experiments in them! They just tend to contain popular experiments with easily sourced materials. If you are not science-minded or have the ability/time to research then they would make a nice 'get it done' box for a preK-1st set.

Honestly, we approach science in a build-your-own lab way now, so are looking for quality materials. Sometimes, for subjects of less interest, ASK, Science in a Nutshell, or Thames & Kosmos are great...if it is something you will be returning to, look to books of experiments and hit Home Science Tools:)

• 3 months later...

We have three ASK science kits lined up to use in the fall and I am beyond impressed at the look of them. They are pricey but the materials included are amazing.the science in a nutshell ones were our runners up choice.

I know this is an older thread but I'd love to know what you ended up thinking of these kits.  Considering them for a couple different grade levels. 

I know this is an older thread but I'd love to know what you ended up thinking of these kits. Considering them for a couple different grade levels.

We are finishing up our first kit "weather." (12 experiments in all) At first I was not sure, but after finding our groove I have been very pleased.

We do the kit/experiment on Tuesday. It takes between 40 minutes to 1 hour. (Sometimes longer if you have to track something. We use the journals which can sometimes be over my 2nd graders head, but is mostly a great overview for both kids. My 4 yo even participates and just draws a picture.

On Thursdays we dig in further to the topic. I purchased a subscription to neok12.com and on Thursdays we read about the topic from the UsborneEmcyclopedia of Science, watch a video or two (youtube video links from neok12, and play some of the games/quizzes from neok12. I print those out and they go into our science notebook. We are also doing a science vocabulary book. (Small blank books we got from Target. Each week the kids copy a sentence/definition from the ASK journal and draw a picture to illustrate it. They love it. Thursdays take about 30 minutes.

I have been very impressed with the quality of the kits. It includes EVERYTHING. Seriously you only add water. If it calls for a baking pan it is included. A real one- not a cheap thing. There was even an anemometer included last week. The experiments and demonstrations have been perfect- very creative, very educational, and very easy to do.

My biggest complaint is no Answer key to the journal. Occasionally someone doesn't work or we aren't quite sure and we just have to guess and go with it.that bugs me but in the great scheme of things it is a small thing since it is not often. :)

We are enjoying the Young Scientist Club kits. I had put off purchasing these d/t such mixed reviews, but then decided to try them for myself. DD (grade 4) loves them. We started using them last year, and schedule the kits along with the lessons in her science textbook. Most of the experiments have worked out pretty well - only a flop or two along the way(as is to be expected with experiments). My only regret is not using these with my oldest during her elementary years.

I don't recommend purchasing the kits through the company/club. They are much more reasonable at Amazon.com .

Two questions about Science in a Nutshell vs ASK kits

It seems that ASK kits are suited for wider age range - would it be too much for a 6 yr old?

It also seems that ASK kits are kind of one kit per topic vs Science in a Nutshell has many kits on kind of the same topic.

In other words, ASK has 1 astronomy kit, while the other one has numerous kits that could be used for astronomy.  Same with kids on body science, etc.

So, I guess I am wondering if ASK kits are not as detailed?  

Bc if I start buying all the Science in a Nutshell kits that have to do with astronomy, for example, it will be much more expensive than ASK kits....

Am I making any sense?

Two questions about Science in a Nutshell vs ASK kits

It seems that ASK kits are suited for wider age range - would it be too much for a 6 yr old?

It also seems that ASK kits are kind of one kit per topic vs Science in a Nutshell has many kits on kind of the same topic.

In other words, ASK has 1 astronomy kit, while the other one has numerous kits that could be used for astronomy. Same with kids on body science, etc.

So, I guess I am wondering if ASK kits are not as detailed?

Bc if I start buying all the Science in a Nutshell kits that have to do with astronomy, for example, it will be much more expensive than ASK kits....

Am I making any sense?

I only have experience with the ASK kits, but as far as it only being 1 kit on a topic-- it is one kit that contains 12 experiments. I feel after almost completing the weather kit, my kids have a great grasp of the topic.

I have purchased Science in a nutshell kits.  Last year just for my then 7yo (while using MBTP 8-10).  This year I am using them for both my 8yo and experiment-phobic 13yo.  I think they say grades 3-5, but apply to much larger age ranges (K-8, really.)  I also like the variety of kits on each subject.  With younger kids you'll need to help more/do the writing...with older kids they can do it totally independently, and you'll want to expect more writing...like possibly more lab-write-up style rather than the worksheets provided.  These have been perfect for us.

I received one ASK kit from our charter.  I haven't used it yet (there was only one activity for cells, and we had already done a similar activity when we received it).  From what I've seen of it, though, I prefer the Science in a Nutshell kits.  The ASK has expensive/quality materials, but I don't think they teach anything more than the less expensive kits.  I would not have purchased, but since I get to borrow for free, its a good deal!

RE ASK versus Science in a Nutshell: I've used two SiaN kits via our charter, and was very unimpressed with them.  This is different to others' responses: perhaps we did different topics?  One related to measurement, and one to dinosaurs.  I did not find the projects very science-oriented, as in doing some sort of science; they were more of the demonstration variety.  Showing, not telling, basically.  For instance the dinosaur one had little dinosaur figures, and a make-your-own fossil project -- my child didn't actually learn anything about paleontology or dinosaurs from this kit (or not much). 

The ASK kit we did was robotics, and it was excellent.  DH, a neuroscientist, was impressed with it too.  It is more engineering than pure-science, naturally; but it had the child doing things that scientists need to learn to do when they are building stuff: beginning with checking that you actually have all your supplies on hand -- DH and I were very excited that it taught organization of such a big project!  A. learned a great deal about building stuff and about the limitations and challenges of robotic movement. 

I plan on using ASK for earth and space science next cycle.  I myself won't be using the Nutshell kits again. 

Thanks for the responses.

I tried to estimate shipping on ASK kit last night and couldn't get through the process, so I emailed the company and didn't hear anything back.  I have such low tolerance for that kind of thing.

I am thinking of getting a few Thames and Kosmos kits for now.  

I might get the other ones later.  This is our first official year for science, so I am still experimenting with things.