Menu

Best Pencils for everyday school work in 2014?

Pink Pearl...eeeewwww. LOL!  ;)

I'm a Magic Rub/white eraser fan (although, White Pearl isn't as good as others). So funny how people have such different preferences. Aside from a few select brands, we immediately cover pink erasers with white caps on any pencils (that we plan on using) that come through the house.

Yes! Pink Pearls rock.

Picked up 36 staedtler pencils at staples last night for 5.00. We have used mostly Ticonderoga and Mirado black warriors in the past. Our house had two nice old school sharpeners when we bought it, and I will admit it was a nice side benefit to buying lol. Only in the life of a homeschooling mom ;) I have a small hand-held staedtler sharpener for the kids and it works well.

We are in the market for a new box of pencils this year. We're looking for quality, but in pretty/interesting colors. We had a box of Ticonderoga neon pencils this past year from Target. They weren't too shabby. I still have some Tri-Writes from the year before. They broke constantly. I began to wonder whether they were dropped in a warehouse somewhere.

You know what's funny, though. I'm a pencil snob for sure, but some of our favorite pencils that we have used down to a nub have been freebies. One came from the Sanibel Shell Museum. Another was from our local fire department (changes color from the heat of your hand). Right now, we are loving a recycled-newspaper one from Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. We cover the erasers with white caps, but other than that, they have held up better than our name-brands.

I'm loving all the posts. I'm thinking we have to try those Ticonderoga holographs for sure!

So pprrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttyyyyyyyyy. (Now, imagine me saying this with buggy eyes as I fly hopelessly toward a bug-zapper at night. That's how I feel when looking at these. Hah!)

ETA: They have them with white erasers too! Gosh, I wish my family was more sophisticated. I would buy them for our Christmas party and then "steal" them for myself.

The key is the graphite, hardness, centered led, blah blah ...

I tend to agree with everyone above BUT ... http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-Blackwing-Pencil-602-Pack-of-12/pd/8117/

I love, love Palomino's for me!  I just let my oldest touch one!  You can even replace the erasers.  These are not for child's play.  I use Tic's for everyday stuff, and I pull out a Pal for final drafts and copywork.  

ETA:  Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Palomino%20Blackwing%20

We've been happy with the Black Mirados for years now. Just bought another 5 packages. We got the Mitsubishi pencil sharpener recommended here last year and it has changed our lives. Love it! So worth the price. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/KH-20-Crank-Wooden-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B001U3RKKE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406138034&sr=8-3&keywords=mitsubishi+pencil+sharpener&dpPl=1

Picked up 36 staedtler pencils at staples last night for 5.00. We have used mostly Ticonderoga and Mirado black warriors in the past. Our house had two nice old school sharpeners when we bought it, and I will admit it was a nice side benefit to buying lol. Only in the life of a homeschooling mom ;) I have a small hand-held staedtler sharpener for the kids and it works well.

I want to find an old school sharpener. I had one at my old place and was going to

bring it with me when we moved three months ago but I forgot to take it off the door.

Yes! I bought a box at my local teacher/art store and love them! I prefer non painted and real wood and they are perfect.