Menu

Best Pencils for everyday school work in 2014?

Looking for recommendations from those who have purchased pencils that are not mechanical for everyday school work. Recent purchase recommendations would be great since some reviewers at Amazon and whatnot talk about their favorite pencils becoming lousy pencils after manufacturing change :glare:

I appreciate any help!

I bought these for DS (lefty, trying to prevent grip issues) and it turns out that I really like them too! They do not have erasers, but we are happier with a good separate eraser anyway.

My DS uses a skinnier version of the Faber-castle triangle pencils that do have erasers. If he uses regular shaped pencils he wraps his thumb.

I bought these for DS (lefty, trying to prevent grip issues) and it turns out that I really like them too! They do not have erasers, but we are happier with a good separate eraser anyway.

I really like those, too, but in the regular size. We got some in a small drawing set, and I have not been able to find a nice box like that of them. Maybe I should try these wider ones.

How much wider are these pencils than regular pencils? Can you still sharpen them in an electric pencil sharpener?

MY son does use pencil grips and these look like an interesting possiblity especially now that he is in middle school.

I always see Ticonderoga recommended so that's what we got. We usually use mechanical, but I'm getting tired of them being broken.

I have black ticonderoga pencils that we have had good luck with before. However, we have not had so much good luck with the yellow ones. Also, I read recent reviews on the black ones that spooked me that complained about the change in quality.

Yellow Ticonderoga aren't as good as they used to be (when they were made in the USA) and you'll have some breakage issues, but overall they are still the best pencil with the best eraser.  Smooth writing, not too much breakage.  We tried the Black Warrior which seemed to have less breakage, but the erasers didn't work as well and made a weird scratching noise that drove my dd insane.  We have tried every pencil on the planet and I definitely think Ticonderoga is the all around winner, even with the drop in quality a few years back.

My DD's favorites are the Ticonderoga beginners. She has sensory issues and the fatter leads don't break as easily. She can also sharpen them down to the eraser (and sharpening pencils is her favorite fidget, so having pencils that can be sharpened more than a few times without the lead falling out is important).

Another exceptional brand is USA Gold  by Write Guys.  DD11 actually prefers these over Ticonderoga.  Like Ticonderoga, the are cedar, have good leads that only break if dropped excessively, and are smooth to write with.  Plus they are made in the USA - unlike so many things these days...

They are cheaper at target, BTW.   I bought a box of 96 through  Amazon last year and now EVERYBODY in the house goes for them - even DS16 who normally gets his own supply. 

Staedler Rally pencils are dark and soft, my favorite. I had some Black Warriors from the 1970s that were my stepmother's in grad school--I hoarded and guarded those through high school and part of college. The Rally reminds me of those except not round. Staedtler Rally Graphite #2 Pencil, 12-Each (9122-2B12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TUGZQK/

My kids prefer mechanical, and we use the really thick 1.3mm lead kind for most things. We still have regular pencils everywhere though. Ticonderoga irked me when they added Microban to the pencils. I have a chewer and otherwise liked them. I have already added the pretty pretty silver ones to my amazon cart! :)

Mirado Black Warriors have dropped in quality. I am hoarding the last remaining 8 I have. I feel like Elaine from Seinfeld. Is this Mirado worthy? (Mirado was bought out by Papermate and the pencils are no longer made in the US--now made in Mexico.)

Ticonderoga Blacks have had a similar decline in quality. They used to be made in Mexico and are now made in China.

I think the new/bad Mirados are still better than the new/bad Ticonderogas.

I have General's pencils too...the graphite just doesn't glide like my old friend the Mirado Black Warrior. The pencils sharpen straight, though, and the the graphite seems to be straight in the pencil.

I've switched my kids over to mechanical pencils or pens so I can save my pencils. I am apparently more willing to share Belgian chocolate than I am good pencils.

The kids get Yellow Ticonderogas.  I buy the giant box of nearly 100 at Costco.  With a good sharpener they are a really great quality pencil with erasers that actually erase.

I use Palomino Blackwings, which are too posh, and too soft, for children's use.  But goodness do I love them.    

My son's school requested Ticonderoga pencils on the supply list last year. I wondered why they were so specific and now I know! We've just been using the cheapie patterned ones for stuff and they just break and break. Ticonderoga pencils work SO much better, sharpen to a nice point, and are just generally better.

Mirado Black Warriors have dropped in quality. I am hoarding the last remaining 8 I have. I feel like Elaine from Seinfeld. Is this Mirado worthy? (Mirado was bought out by Papermate and the pencils are no longer made in the US--now made in Mexico.)

Ticonderoga Blacks have had a similar decline in quality. They used to be made in Mexico and are now made in China.

I think the new/bad Mirados are still better than the new/bad Ticonderogas.

I have General's pencils too...the graphite just doesn't glide like my old friend the Mirado Black Warrior. The pencils sharpen straight, though, and the the graphite seems to be straight in the pencil.

I've switched my kids over to mechanical pencils or pens so I can save my pencils. I am apparently more willing to share Belgian chocolate than I am good pencils.

So do I....but the problem with the Black Warriors is their erasers!  They are so hard and scratchy sounding.  My kids, but especially my daughter thinks that ruins the whole pencil.  

We use Blackwings, but I'm getting annoyed with the bracket containing the eraser. Sometimes the bracket breaks or the eraser is used up faster than the pencil.

But, it's dark and smooth.

I have a box of replacement erasers.  That's actually my favorite part of the blackwings, I use up erasers like mad but having to keep a separate pink pearl drives me nuts. I've never had a bracket break, but like I said, my kids dont use them.  

Another exceptional brand is USA Gold  by Write Guys.  DD11 actually prefers these over Ticonderoga.  Like Ticonderoga, the are cedar, have good leads that only break if dropped excessively, and are smooth to write with.  Plus they are made in the USA - unlike so many things these days...

They are cheaper at target, BTW.   I bought a box of 96 through  Amazon last year and now EVERYBODY in the house goes for them - even DS16 who normally gets his own supply. 

We like these too!  Many, but not all of the Ticonderogas are made with Microban. 

I used to like black Ticonderogas, but I boycotted them once I learned that they were coated in Microban. Now I buy Staples brand pencils, which work almost as well for a lot less money. With the rate at which my kids lose pencils, less money is a good thing!

Staedler Rally pencils are dark and soft, my favorite. I had some Black Warriors from the 1970s that were my stepmother's in grad school--I hoarded and guarded those through high school and part of college. The Rally reminds me of those except not round. Staedtler Rally Graphite #2 Pencil, 12-Each (9122-2B12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TUGZQK/

We like these, too. Although I'm experimenting with other pencils/leads to get an even darker print.

I used to like black Ticonderogas, but I boycotted them once I learned that they were coated in Microban. Now I buy Staples brand pencils, which work almost as well for a lot less money. With the rate at which my kids lose pencils, less money is a good thing!

I think you can find them without Microban, too.

Another exceptional brand is USA Gold by Write Guys. DD11 actually prefers these over Ticonderoga. Like Ticonderoga, the are cedar, have good leads that only break if dropped excessively, and are smooth to write with. Plus they are made in the USA - unlike so many things these days...

They are cheaper at target, BTW. I bought a box of 96 through Amazon last year and now EVERYBODY in the house goes for them - even DS16 who normally gets his own supply.

We use the Write Dudes pencils too. My kids will argue over who gets the last one. Cedar, reliable, and doesn't break every time you turn around.

The recycled denim pencils also get high praise in this house. They wear like iron.

The key is the graphite, hardness, centered led, blah blah ...

I tend to agree with everyone above BUT ... http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-Blackwing-Pencil-602-Pack-of-12/pd/8117/

I love, love Palomino's for me!  I just let my oldest touch one!  You can even replace the erasers.  These are not for child's play.  I use Tic's for everyday stuff, and I pull out a Pal for final drafts and copywork.  

ETA:  Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Palomino%20Blackwing%20

So do I....but the problem with the Black Warriors is their erasers!  They are so hard and scratchy sounding.  My kids, but especially my daughter thinks that ruins the whole pencil.

I agree. We love the Black Warriors, but my children have to have Magic Rub erasers on the table to use for erasing because the pencil top erasers are no good.

These are what I would recommend too.

The key is the graphite, hardness, centered led, blah blah ...

I tend to agree with everyone above BUT ... http://www.jetpens.com/Palomino-Blackwing-Pencil-602-Pack-of-12/pd/8117/

I love, love Palomino's for me! I just let my oldest touch one! You can even replace the erasers. These are not for child's play. I use Tic's for everyday stuff, and I pull out a Pal for final drafts and copywork.

ETA: Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Palomino%20Blackwing%20

I love fine pencils, and a crappy one can really ruin any subject. But the Palomino eraser is just not as good as the Staedtler's white eraser. Writing with it is superb, however, so I'll have to get another batch soon.

I forgot about jetpens.com. Guess what I will be doing in the next 15 minutes. Got to expand my pencil collection....

Yellow Ticonderoga aren't as good as they used to be (when they were made in the USA) and you'll have some breakage issues, but overall they are still the best pencil with the best eraser.  Smooth writing, not too much breakage.  We tried the Black Warrior which seemed to have less breakage, but the erasers didn't work as well and made a weird scratching noise that drove my dd insane.  We have tried every pencil on the planet and I definitely think Ticonderoga is the all around winner, even with the drop in quality a few years back.

We also prefer either the yellow/black Ticonderoga's. They are our go to pencils.

I like the Mirado Black Warrior's but they aren't worth the premium for us. The erasers are more prone to fall out. The lead is softer and is less durable. I really like the softer flowing lead and the greater haptic feedback. I understand that the scritchy-scratchy feel could be distracting. For me, it is like the older Miquon work books on that amazingly coarse paper vs the more recent ones on slicker paper. Some people will prefer a smoother feel and others will prefer more feedback. This probably explains why I've never taken to fountain pens... Too much feedback and I can't focus on higher order thinking, too little and my writing degenerates into gibberish.

I love fine pencils, and a crappy one can really ruin any subject. But the Palomino eraser is just not as good as the Staedtler's white eraser. Writing with it is superb, however, so I'll have to get another batch soon.

I forgot about jetpens.com. Guess what I will be doing in the next 15 minutes. Got to expand my pencil collection....

I use the smooshy eraser that I get in the art store..  I forget the name, LOL.  I like a clean erase.  In a pinch, I prefer the eraser on these pencils over the stock pencils.  Some are just ... yucky.  

Ticonderoga. #2. Yellow. The Best. The only ones we use, unless we're truly unfortunate. Years ago I never would have thougth I could have such strong feelings about pencils, but I do!

Me too! I hate cheap pencils. They don't leave a dark enough mark when writing and the lead always breaks when sharpening.

I have had a hard time finding a good sharpener though. My grandparents used to have a manual hand crank sharpener that was attached to a table that was the best pencil sharpener. It was all metal and they had it for 40+ years. Drool.

Elise in NC