Menu

What would you use to teach a 4yo to read?

thundersweet

I taught my 4yo twins to read with Phonics Pathways. I'm not sure it qualifies as fun, but it was easy to use, effective, and inexpensive. As quickly as mine plowed through it, I was grateful I didn't spend money on something with more levels or bells and whistles. They didn't need that.

All About Reading. It's not cheap but it's fun, a great foundation, and super easy to use. An Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading is less "fun" but incredibly effective and inexpensive.

With a kid that's picking it up fast anyway (went through that with LegoMan), I'd get OPGTR to cover any gaps and then once he/she is reading well, move on to All About Spelling to ensure that all phonics and spelling rules are covered.

Like CrunchyGirl I found using OPGTR to fill in gaps was easiest with both my DDs (my eldest is through it, the youngest has started it fairly recently) - we did NOT use it as scripted and just did a few words a day, using the phonics taught to point out more words in the books she was already reading with and to me. Both children were started on OPGTR around 3.5 years of age (the second slightly earlier even) and so I wrote the words big for them to sound out - 4 at a time twice a day. Because both had a large sight word vocabulary already we did not read sentences in OPGTR - just pointed out words that followed the rules in their other books and sounded them out there in addition to the word lists in OPGTR.

Personally I love and recommend The Reading Lesson--it is cutesy, (highly) effective and very gentle. After chapter 5 you will have covered all of the short vowel sounds and be reading many small words so, I recommend getting a library card and/or Bob Books and continuing on in TRL with your kids. I have used it several times and the combo of TRL and library books gets kids to a solid 2nd grade reading level within 10-25 weeks. I've used it with kids ranging in age from 4-8 and each time it has worked.

I love it. Very gentle, very easy, not intimidating to the child and since I have the PDF version (there is a hard copy available and I'm probably going to buy that also) I can use and reuse it with any number of kids just on my computer at no additional cost, I can also print pages for practice and make each student their own little reading booklet (I never really do that, but I could.)

How ever, TRL only goes to about 2nd grade reading level--short vowels, long vowels, vowel teams, r-controlled/bossy-r vowels (ar, er, ir, ur) and c=s, g=j. (It might cover a little more but I haven't looked at in a month or so.) TRL doesn't teach 3+ syllable words, but it does teach 2 syllable word and some basic compound words. Some of the kids can go straight on to reading more and more advanced materials, other kids need more extensive phonics. For them, I'd recommend something like Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, only I find that a very good free alternative to Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading would be the Ultimate Phonics Word List from Spencer Learning.

Time4learning has a really good and fun phonics program.I used Mcruffy and my dc did well with it but it is an all in one so it is not just phonics.I also like progressivephonics.com, soundcitingreading.com, firststepreading.org  or com (can't remember), readingbear.org, starfall.com and Youtube (phonics song 2 and hop videos).

We had good luck with a combo of Explode the Code, a pack of Dolch sight word cards, and Dick and Jane. Neither Phonics Pathways nor 100 EZ Lessons went over well. She'd start to cry when she saw them, but asked for extra lessons in Explode the Code.

I used Explode the Code Primers (A, B and C) with DD #1 (now 6) when she asked to read at age 4. Then moved into the resources I already had for my DS—Leap Frog Letter Factory (and others) OPGTTR, Sing, Spell, Read and Write, Bob Books, free Core Knowledge Phonics curriculum (engageny.com) and a little of Phonics Pathways.

With DD #2 (now age 3) I can tell she will want to read early too. She already knows letters and some sounds from  Leap Frog Letter Factory and has a great grasp of concepts of print. I purchased AAR Pre-level for her however, as now I think I want something more "open and go." I still will use Explode the Code Primers though and am toying with the idea of Moving Beyond the Page ages 4-5 for some enrichment and fun.