Menu

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know that the geometry has multiple choice proofs.

iirc, someone posted that you could have the student work out the entire proof on paper, and then enter the multiple choice answers step by step. I'm not sure if that's an official TT suggestion or a workaround a parent came up with.

Seems like it would work, but the parent would have to stay on top of it. 

I know that the geometry has multiple choice proofs.

iirc, someone posted that you could have the student work out the entire proof on paper, and then enter the multiple choice answers step by step. I'm not sure if that's an official TT suggestion or a workaround a parent came up with.

Seems like it would work, but the parent would have to stay on top of it.

I found the geometry solid, but we used version 1--no multiple choice proofs. You can still buy version 1 used.

The charter school that my kids are enrolled through will only give algebra 1 credit after the student completes both TT Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. They will only give algebra 2 credit after the student completes TT Pre-Calculus. This has to do with specific requirements that the University of California Regents set for their admissions requirements and wouldn't be relevant to you unless your child is a CA resident applying to UC and Cal State schools. I don't know the specific details because I don't use TT with my kids.

My experience is that mathy kids do great with TT. Kids that are middling math students are...still middling math students after Teaching Textbooks. I find the concern about holes in the program to be silly.

My now 16 yo used Teaching Textbooks through Alg 2. Got a 76 on the math portion of the PSAT the following fall with no additional prep. Transitioned seamlessly into Derek Owens precalc, where she ended both semesters with high-90s averages, and went on to get a 750 in the spring on the SAT Math 2 subject test. Continued on for one more year of Derek Owens Calc AB; again, high 90s average. Got a 5 on the AP Calc AB exam, AND has just finished a summer Calc 2 course at the local university with a 99.6 average (next highest score in the class was an 80.). She did JUST fine with Teaching Textbooks ;-)

My middling math student used TT through Alg 2 as well. She struggled with pre-Calc and Calc at a local college, but with tutoring, ended up with "A"s and "B"s. She has a bit of a disability with math as well, reversing numbers and such. But I can't blame TT for that.

I think it is ridiculous that a school will only give Alg 1 credit for TT Alg 2. Good grief. I would be furious if I was a parent in that program.

My daughter does NOT want to change curriculum. The format fits perfect for her learning style. 

This speaks volumes. Stay with Teaching Textbooks. Don't worry about holes, every program has holes. Let her learn the way she learns best. 

I'd finish TT through precalc, working at her pace. If she finishes precalc before the end of HS, I'd have her take a placement test at a CC or similar nearby, and take whatever course she places into. If she has holes, she should place into college algebra/precalc, if she doesn't, she should place into calculus. Some kids have placed into calculus after using TT and some have placed into college algebra/precalc, but I have not heard reports of students placing lower. If she doesn't place into calculus, she should repeat pre-calculus at *that* point with a more challenging program, testing through any chapters she feels she knows well.

The majority of my university students who do not do well in university math classes do not do so because they did not have sufficiently advanced material, but because they did not understand the basics. It is not uncommon for someone who has supposedly had calculus in high school to place into developmental math at university. TT should not leave you in this position.

I think it is ridiculous that a school will only give Alg 1 credit for TT Alg 2. Good grief. I would be furious if I was a parent in that program.

The school's hands are tied. The UC Regents set out specific requirements for what counts as a particular math course, and if not all topics are covered, credit cannot be given until those topics are covered. The UC a-g requirements are not just for public schools but also private schools in the state. That level of micromanagement is one of the absolute WORST things about the State of California.

ETA: Students who complete a non-UC approved course have to either test out via SAT II subject tests or start at a community college & then transfer.

I used the old edition of TT Geometry and there were no holes.  It was a solid geometry program (though not honors level).  One thing I noticed though was that they assumed that the student didn't know as much algebra as the Jacobs book assumes, probably because TT Algebra I doesn't go as far.

I looked at the samples of their new geometry program and saw that they are using multiple choice proofs.  Since the old edition did not have the computer grading feature, that was not an issue.  Because of the multiple choice proofs, I would not use the new edition.

The charter school that my kids are enrolled through will only give algebra 1 credit after the student completes both TT Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. They will only give algebra 2 credit after the student completes TT Pre-Calculus. This has to do with specific requirements that the University of California Regents set for their admissions requirements and wouldn't be relevant to you unless your child is a CA resident applying to UC and Cal State schools. I don't know the specific details because I don't use TT with my kids.

That is ridiculous (I'm not saying that to you - I'm saying that to the UC Regents who won't bother to read this post). My brother-in-law has been a high school Algebra 2/Trig teacher for many years and whenever he worked with my oldest son this past year (my son was using TT Algebra 2), he said that ds had a far better grasp of algebra 2 and was further ahead in it than most of his public school students had been (and were at the time) throughout the years. He went through our TT often and he had no qualms about it being a solid, stand-alone algebra 2 program.

The UC Regents can do whatever they want, obviously, and they continually do whatever they want. But I will continue to disagree with them on points such as these. :)

That is ridiculous (I'm not saying that to you - I'm saying that to the UC Regents who won't bother to read this post). My brother-in-law has been a high school Algebra 2/Trig teacher for many years and whenever he worked with my oldest son this past year (my son was using TT Algebra 2), he said that ds had a far better grasp of algebra 2 and was further ahead in it than most of his public school students had been (and were at the time) throughout the years. He went through our TT often and he had no qualms about it being a solid, stand-alone algebra 2 program.

The UC Regents can do whatever they want, obviously, and they continually do whatever they want. But I will continue to disagree with them on points such as these. :)

We aren't in California, but when my youngest DS was accepted into our county's early college high school and they were working on his placement, the math teacher wanted DS to come in and take an informal placement test.  I decided to bring the TT Algebra 1 textbook (2.0 version) in for her to look over, and I also printed out his scores from the grade book.  She was quite impressed and had no hesitation at all giving him credit for it w/o requiring him to take the placement test.  FWIW, this was an older teacher with many years of experience.